RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/29/19 12:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why Oregon STATE (not UConn, amongst others) should currently be ranked No. 1.

Quote:
Who should be No. 1? ... Which teams did you overestimate and underestimate entering the season? ... Has the first half of the season changed whether you think the women's game should adopt the international 3-point line? ... Which remaining game are you most looking forward to? ... Which conference is better from top to bottom: Pac-12 or SEC?

Interesting mini-roundtable from EspnW - the conversations were very Pac-12 dominated. The Pac is objectively the best conference this year imo (one of those teams really ought to win the title this year), and the int'l 3-point line needs to get adopted if for no other reason that the two 3-point lines look really stupid on the court this year. Mad

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/15/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Around the Pac-12: ASU upsets the Oregons, UCLA still undefeated
Ben Dull (High Post Hoops)
https://highposthoops.com/2020/01/15/pac-12-womens-basketball-asu-upset-oregon-state/

REALLY great work from Ben Dull, who supplements the statistical summaries with how things took place (references to back screens for layups, jumpers off of the pick and pop, etc.).

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/15/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
https://highposthoops.com/2020/01/15/pac-12-womens-basketball-asu-upset-oregon-state/

REALLY great work from Ben Dull, who supplements the statistical summaries with how things took place (references to back screens for layups, jumpers off of the pick and pop, etc.).

great article if you want details - not just who made points and rebounds!

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/15/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Yes, very nice technical writing and videos. I assume he records the game TV, but wonder what he uses to edit down those clips.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/16/20 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just saw that Kelsey Plum will be doing color commentary on the Pac-12 Network broadcast of both the UW-Arizona game and the UW-Arizona State game this weekend! Also Monique Billings will be doing the same when USC hosts WSU on Jan. 24 (not sure if she'll be doing any UCLA games).

https://pac-12.com/article/2020/01/14/fresh-faces-and-returning-favorites-highlight-pac-12-networks-basketball-talent

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're past the halfway point of the conference season now. Here's a look at the standings:

T-1. Oregon (9-1)
T-1. Stanford (9-1)
3. UCLA (8-2)
4. Arizona (7-3)
T-5. Arizona State (6-4)
T-5. Oregon State (6-4)
T-7. Colorado (3-7)
T-7. USC (3-7)
T-7. Washington State (3-7)
T-7. Utah (3-7)
11. Washington (2-8 )
12. California (1-9)

Any thoughts? The order of 3-6 is a bit of a surprise. UCLA is about to get into the meat of their schedule, but still, the LA schools somehow only have to face the Oregon schools + Stanford once apiece this year. They could stay in 3rd depending on how they perform in their upcoming stretch of tough games. Elsewhere, it's possible now that Oregon State finishes outside the Top 4, seeing as their schedule has been virtually the opposite of UCLA's in how daunting it is overall. They really don't get another breather until the final weekend of the conference season with home games against the Washington schools. I'm guessing Oregon State still earns a coveted Top-16 Tourney seed, but that's no guarantee anymore.

Looking at the bottom half of the conference (it's been a neatly divided split this year), I did think Cal would be doing better seeing as they beat Arkansas at home and lost a close one to Kentucky in the non-conference. Although, no one expected them to do much winning this year anyway. In any case, I don't think they'll finish in last place - no, I think the clear-cut Least Talented Team in the Conference aka my Washington Huskies will take that mantle. (As always, there's a lot to say about them, but I'll hold back my thoughts until the conclusion of their season - y'all can PM me if ya really want my two-cents on that. Funny how I never had half as much to say about them when they were winning Rolling Eyes )

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo, I think you are being a little too harsh on your Huskies. I will be surprised if Washington doesn't win at least 1 game this week against the mountain schools, and they could get a sweep. They also still play USC at home, although the Trojans may finally have started to play up to their talent.

Cal finally played a decent game in conference, thanks in large part to CJ West in the post. She was out for awhile and I wonder why Charmin Smith went so far into the season with Chen Yue in the post. While I hope that Cal can get at least 1 more win in the conference, I think 3 wins is the absolute best they can do.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/03/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think OrSU is better than that record. And I think ASU is erratic. So the weekend they played the Oregon schools, they had clearly eaten their wheaties, but this weekend against UCLA they must have been eating cake and do-nuts.

But you're right. UCLA has the best schedule by far of the top teams. The Oregon schools' schedules are the things made of nightmares. OrSU needs to beat at least one of the Arizona's at home and I think realistically probably both of them to get a host bid since they then have to play away at UCLA and away at Stanford. yikes. It will somewhat depend on how the committee views losses to top teams. It's tough when so many are in your own conference. I think they are actually a better team than ASU and UCLA but it's unclear where they finish.

What is clear is that there is a very clearcut division between the top six and the bottom six and it would not be good for any of the top teams to let down their guards enough to lose to one of the bottom six. And I wouldn't be surprised to see one of those upsets happen. When the shots don't fall from the outside and your posts act like slugs in any particular game, anybody can lose to anybody.

It should be an exciting last month of the season in the Pac.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Stormeo, I think you are being a little too harsh on your Huskies. I will be surprised if Washington doesn't win at least 1 game this week against the mountain schools, and they could get a sweep. They also still play USC at home, although the Trojans may finally have started to play up to their talent.

Well, you're welcome to point out a lesser-talented conference team than the Huskies. Laughing WSU will probably be that team next year with who they're graduating. But forgive me for my perpetual gloom-and-doom tone. Another long losing streak in the third/umpteenth year of a rebuild will do that to ya. The real problem that's trending is, each year Jody Wynn’s been here, this team has collectively found a way to be particularly disappointing as they've lost. Year 1 was the actuality of how much we had fallen. Year 2 they had a decent non-conference that showed signs of improvement, but they couldn't beat a single healthy conference opponent until they played out of their minds for that one game against Oregon State in a one-point win - and again, sniper-shooter Aleah Goodman was 0-9 from 3 that day. And this year, they've lost as expected but it's been while infected with Blowing-Large-Leads Disease (symptoms include constant choking). It's all in the way they've lost; this year's team has been inescapably incompetent whenever they’ve had a big lead going into the 2nd half. In 4 of their 11 losses, they had a double-digit halftime lead. In 3 other losses, they either were tied or had a single-digit halftime lead. 0-4 overall in OT games, as the rare momentum they garnered in the 2nd half of yesterday's game still found a way to flatline in OT. To be fair, there are more close/winnable games this year than the past two years combined - which should count for something - and I don't find that the in-game coaching is necessarily a big problem. But ultimately they have no idea how to close out games and win. What's worse is, the bigger problems therein lie in the future: our best player is set to graduate after this year, none of the players from the incoming recruiting class are rated particularly high, and most importantly, no other non-senior looks to be even semi-capable of being a go-to player. As it is, statistically speaking, none of the current upperclassmen have improved throughout these three years. Each of those 5 players' statistical "best" year has been either their first or second year at UW - aka not this year!! A lack of talent imo plays a big role in inconsistency in general, and that's of course still a glaring recruiting issue; but at the same time, it appears that the coaching staff can't develop anyone worth sh!t Mad. Not a recipe for success no matter how close ya get to the wins. Like I said in my last rant earlier in this thread, it just hasn't looked like it'll get better with this version of the program, hence my hopelessness. Sorry that I ended up ranting after all (yet, there's still more I could say). Long story short, that’s why I won’t be surprised if/when the Huskies lose at home to the Mountain schools this weekend. Razz

And funny enough, I personally think Cal is already ahead in their rebuild considering the recruiting they've done - including poaching not one, but two Seattle-area players for next season (you can bet that I had a very strong reaction to hearing about that, as well as a USC team in a similar spot as UW getting another of our local prospects). Cal will be very young next year, but so was Oregon when Ionescu & Co. were freshmen that led Oregon to the Elite 8. All I'm saying is, with talent to work with (especially in the post), and if the coaching is plus, Cal could surprise a lot of people.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/23/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So far today, Arizona State lost on the road to Utah, Arizona gave up the last 15 points of the game to Colorado and lost, and UCLA to Washington

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/23/20 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ugliness.
have we heard what is wrong with McDonald?

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/20 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PAC-12 WBB 2019-2020 FINAL STANDINGS:

1. Oregon: 17-1
(28-2 overall)
2. UCLA: 14-4
(25-5 overall)
3. Stanford: 14-4
(25-4 overall)
4. Arizona: 12-6
(23-6 overall)
5. Arizona State: 10-8
(20-10 overall)
6. Oregon State: 10-8
(22-8 overall)
7. USC: 8-10
(16-13 overall)
8. Utah: 6-12
(13-16 overall)
9. Washington: 5-13
(13-16 overall)
10. Colorado: 5-13
(16-13 overall)
11. Washington State: 4-14
(11-19 overall)
12. California: 3-15
(11-18 overall)

These are in fact the seedings for the Pac-12 WBB Tourney. Here's a thread Toad made on the WBB Game Discussion that has a graphic of the times and matchups of the games: http://boards.rebkell.net/viewtopic.php?t=97754

Any post-season and/or pre-tourney thoughts? Even Cal as the 12-seed is no pushover given they just knocked off Arizona on the road. I'm not fully convinced Oregon winning the conference tourney is a foregone conclusion, but they have enough depth they'll be able to utilize before getting to the championship game and likely won't run out of gas like they did last year.

Several first-round tourney matchups already happened in this last weekend: AZSt-Cal (Friday), ORSt-WSU (Sunday), and USC-Colo (Sunday). Could we see some upsets in these matchups due to familiarity? I guess we'll see. The tourney seems pretty wide-open... minus consideration of who the 1-seed is. Laughing

USC finished 7th and is poised to get the automatic WNIT bid. Ya have to wonder if they'd take it though, given that historically for whatever reason they don't.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/02/20 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC really came on after an 0-,5 start in the conference. I wouldn't be shocked if they upset UCLA in the second round, or lost to Colorado in the first. Call has a bad matchup against Arizona St. I would have much preferred playing OSU. I am really looking forward to Arizona-ASU in the second round. I think that Stanford will get to the finals, and while I believe Tara will have a great game plan the Ducks look too good.

Then again, all Cal has to do is beat Arizona St, Arizona, Oregon and Stanford to get to the NCAA.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
USC really came on after an 0-,5 start in the conference. I wouldn't be shocked if they upset UCLA in the second round, or lost to Colorado in the first. Cal has a bad matchup against Arizona St. I would have much preferred playing OSU. I am really looking forward to Arizona-ASU in the second round. I think that Stanford will get to the finals, and while I believe Tara will have a great game plan the Ducks look too good.

Then again, all Cal has to do is beat Arizona St, Arizona, Oregon and Stanford to get to the NCAA.

Yep, of the top four seeds, UCLA and Arizona definitely seem susceptible to an upset. Stanford seems to have Oregon State's number as it is, especially now that they're a weakened team due to losing Kennedy Brown - assuming ORSt doesn't get upset in their first game like they did last year. Wink

Speaking of the first game, there will be no Cinderella run for my Huskies this year. Utah has had our number historically, so it's already a bad matchup. We only beat them in the tourney last year cuz they were heavily injured, and now the shoe's on the other foot a year later - our post rotation got quickly decimated the past two weeks. Rees is out due to a stress fracture in her foot, and Bamberger tore her ACL+MCL+meniscus on Senior Day thus will probably be redshirting next year (we're all devastated for her Crying or Very sad ). And this is the 8/9 matchup, so even if we do somehow beat the Utes, #1 will be waiting... yeah, it'll be a quiet tourney for us. Sad

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/04/20 12:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PAC-12 POY, COY, DPOY, FOY, 6POY, ALL-PAC-12 Team, ALL-DEF Team, ALL-FROSH Team

POY: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, Senior
COY: Kelly Graves, Oregon
DPOY: Aari McDonald, Arizona, Junior
FOY: Alissa Pili, USC
6POY: Taylor Chavez, Oregon, Sophomore

All-Pac-12 Team:
G Japreece Dean, UCLA, Senior
F Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, Senior
F Borislava Hristova, Washington State, Senior
G Lexie Hull, Stanford, Sophomore
G Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, Senior
G Aari McDonald, Arizona, Junior
G Amber Melgoza, Washington, Senior
F Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, Junior
F Alissa Pili, USC, Freshman
G Mikayla Pivec, Oregon State, Senior
F Cate Reese, Arizona, Sophomore
G Robbi Ryan, Arizona State, Senior
F Satou Sabally, Oregon, Junior
G Destiny Slocum, Oregon State, Junior
G Kiana Williams, Stanford, Junior

All-Defensive Team:
G Minyon Moore, Oregon, Senior
F Sam Thomas, Arizona, Junior

All-Freshman Team:
F Taylor Jones, Oregon State
G Brynna Maxwell, Utah
G Charisma Osborne, UCLA
F Alissa Pili, USC
G Jaylyn Sherrod, Colorado

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/04/20 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PAC-12 POY, COY, DPOY, FOY, 6POY, ALL-PAC-12 Team, ALL-DEF Team, ALL-FROSH Team

POY: Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, Senior
COY: Kelly Graves, Oregon
DPOY: Aari McDonald, Arizona, Junior
FOY: Alissa Pili, USC
6POY: Taylor Chavez, Oregon, Sophomore

All-Pac-12 Team:
G Japreece Dean, UCLA, Senior
F Ruthy Hebard, Oregon, Senior
F Borislava Hristova, Washington State, Senior
G Sabrina Ionescu, Oregon, Senior
G Amber Melgoza, Washington, Senior
F Michaela Onyenwere, UCLA, Junior
F Alissa Pili, USC, Freshman
F Cate Reese, Arizona, Sophomore
G Robbi Ryan, Arizona State, Senior
F Satou Sabally, Oregon, Junior
G Destiny Slocum, Oregon State, Junior
G Kiana Williams, Stanford, Junior

All-Defensive Team:
G Minyon Moore, Oregon, Senior
F Sam Thomas, Arizona, Junior

All-Freshman Team:
F Taylor Jones, Oregon State
G Brynna Maxwell, Utah
G Charisma Osborne, UCLA
F Alissa Pili, USC
G Jaylyn Sherrod, Colorado

No Cal players, the only team completely shut out.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/04/20 2:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
USC really came on after an 0-,5 start in the conference. I wouldn't be shocked if they upset UCLA in the second round, or lost to Colorado in the first. Cal has a bad matchup against Arizona St. I would have much preferred playing OSU. I am really looking forward to Arizona-ASU in the second round. I think that Stanford will get to the finals, and while I believe Tara will have a great game plan the Ducks look too good.

Yep, of the top four seeds, UCLA and Arizona definitely seem susceptible to an upset. Stanford seems to have Oregon State's number as it is, especially now that they're a weakened team due to losing Kennedy Brown - assuming ORSt doesn't get upset in their first game like they did last year. :wink:

Speaking of the first game, there will be no Cinderella run for my Huskies this year. Utah has had our number historically, so it's already a bad matchup. We only beat them in the tourney last year cuz they were heavily injured, and now the shoe's on the other foot a year later - our post rotation got quickly decimated the past two weeks. Rees is out due to a stress fracture in her foot, and Bamberger tore her ACL+MCL+meniscus on Senior Day thus will probably be redshirting next year (we're all devastated for her :cry: ). And this is the 8/9 matchup, so even if we do somehow beat the Utes, #1 will be waiting... yeah, it'll be a quiet tourney for us. :(

I wasn't aware of Bamberger's injury. I agree that makes it tough for the Huskies. It looks like the first day may not be that interesting, except for USC - Colorado.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/20 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting defensive team. looks like all they looked at was guards who got steals. usually there is at least one big blocker in there.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/05/20 12:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
interesting defensive team. looks like all they looked at was guards who got steals. usually there is at least one big blocker in there.

I guess the Pac-12 post players were a bunch of softies this year in the coaches' eyes. Razz I thought Taylor Jones of Oregon State had potential to get on all three lists. And I'm not crazy about a few on the All-Pac-12 list (Dean, Reese, Ryan - even Melgoza sort of Embarassed ), and I'm the most upset about Molina from WSU getting snubbed given Hristova's on it - though there's no doubt teams' records plays a part in these awards.

Myrtle, a couple questions if ya don't mind: 1) What's your general opinion on Lexie Hull? I didn't see her appearances on both All-Pac-12 and All-Defensive teams coming, but maybe you did. And 2) Any updates on Haley Jones or Dijonai Carrington as we head into Tourney season?

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/05/20 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the word on Russell's injury?

PostPosted: 03/05/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy none of the fabulous freshmen class at Stanford made all freshmen team .

PostPosted: 03/05/20 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Myrtle, a couple questions if ya don't mind: 1) What's your general opinion on Lexie Hull? I didn't see her appearances on both All-Pac-12 and All-Defensive teams coming, but maybe you did. And 2) Any updates on Haley Jones or Dijonai Carrington as we head into Tourney season?

I've heard absolutely nothing about either. I assume Di is going to redshirt, but then I assumed that about Dodson too and she proved me wrong. Haley I've heard (indirectly) that she's exercising but mostly on a bike, so I really don't know what to make of that. The longer it takes to come back the more disruptive it could potentially be when she actually does...so mixed emotions there. Would love to see her back of course.

Lexie Hull has been somewhat erratic, but I've kind of thought that was at least partially due to Tara's revolving door substitutions this year. She is a very good defender - has great instincts and positioning - and I think is clearly our second best player. I thought putting out a 15 player all Pac12 team was a bit of a copout. Lexie deserves to be on such a list as much as quite a few of the others. But the list should be broken down into 1st team, 2nd team, 3rd team....or at least have a ten player list with five honorable mentions. JMO.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
What's the word on Russell's injury?

bone bruise and a stretched ligament considered 'slight'. Supposedly she may play in the P12 tourney and will 'for sure' in the NCAAs

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/05/20 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Crazy none of the fabulous freshmen class at Stanford made all freshmen team .

s'ok. we're in it for the long haul not short term adulation. Wink

seriously though, Jones would have been if not for the injury. Prechtal and Belibi are both works in progress. If Belibi had played as well as she has the last couple of weeks, she would be on it - part of that has been coach easing her into her role. What I like about her is that she doesn't try to do too much, just concentrate on the things she's really good at, which is around the rim. (wish she were a couple inches taller though) Prechtal also has a lot of talent, but geez louise, do I ever cringe every time she hoists up a three. She needs to figure out that her primary thing is not to shoot the ball every time she gets it. Jump has gotten lost in our plethora of good guards, but for a Freshman she doesn't usually look totally lost when she gets a few minutes. Not sure what her role can be going forward...but she's not terrible. I think she can be our version of KML with a bit more mobility - she just needs to get the adrenalin under control. In practice, even closely guarded, she can sink three after three..but somehow nerves or something gets in the way during games. But like I said, we have quite a few good guards and they're all coming back next year plus I've heard really good things about the PG coming in as well, so finding time on the floor will continue to be problematical.

- Amanda Gorman
LitePal

PostPosted: 03/05/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even with the fab frosh from Stanford, I think Pili still would have been FOY. And if we want to get technical, Rogers from USC should also have been on the first team and she wasn't even an honorable mention.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: