RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Even though the second round pick in 2021 will likely be of little value, I wonder why it ended up being a sign and trade instead of Connecticut not being able to match an offer? Will it be a lower priced or unprotected contract this way?

Maybe they only wanted to sign her for 1 year? RFA offers have to be 2+.

Or yeah, it could be a lowish contract that they were concerned CT might actually be willing to match, in which case they would take themselves out of being able to have her completely.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve did reiterate that the Haper and Alexander contracts are both only Training Camp contracts.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Reeve did reiterate that the Haper and Alexander contracts are both only Training Camp contracts.

I figured. Did she mention Carleton? She's listed on their roster.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/25/20 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

I figured. Did she mention Carleton? She's listed on their roster.

Not that anyone passed on to me. The roster includes everyone who is under team control right now, which is why Anna Cruz is listed even though she's confirmed not coming over this season.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more interesting tidbit:

The Lynx were very close to getting Bonner and Toliver both. Fowles and KCK were out there recruiting them and it just came down to the package/deal that CT offered up for Bonner was more than the Lynx could match. Toliver was sold and was going to sign if the Lynx got Bonner.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

The Lynx were very close to getting Bonner and Toliver both. Fowles and KCK were out there recruiting them and it just came down to the package/deal that CT offered up for Bonner was more than the Lynx could match. Toliver was sold and was going to sign if the Lynx got Bonner.

justintyme with the WOJ bomb.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
justintyme wrote:

justintyme with the WOJ bomb.

Well, Reeve bomb. Lol

She told the entire crowd that at the STH mixer. Cool Laughing

PostPosted: 02/25/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

Boom Shaka Laka.... at least reeve made an effort this offseason!

PostPosted: 02/25/20 11:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Boom Shaka Laka.... at least reeve made an effort this offseason!

Yes. Reeve also noted what happened in the NBA back in 2016, when teams went crazy and got saddled with a ton of bad contracts. She said she saw a lot of parallels to that this year in the WNBA.

While it made sense to go after and target a few specific players who they felt were worth spending a good deal on, she wasn't about to go out and sign big contracts just to make moves. She didn't want to put the team at a disadvantage with the cap come next year or then year after. She'd rather be able to act from a position of strength then.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as moving forward now:

Reeve feels that they are done with FA signings. They could still potentially make a move, but she feels the team is good 3/4/5. She thinks there is room for improvement at the 1/2.

So I would think a PG at #6 is pretty much a foregone conclusion unless they pull of some sort of trade that changes their draft slot. And any trade would be for a 1/2.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 12:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:
Even though the second round pick in 2021 will likely be of little value, I wonder why it ended up being a sign and trade instead of Connecticut not being able to match an offer? Will it be a lower priced or unprotected contract this way?

Maybe they only wanted to sign her for 1 year? RFA offers have to be 2+.

Or yeah, it could be a lowish contract that they were concerned CT might actually be willing to match, in which case they would take themselves out of being able to have her completely.

More the latter Wink.

Could also be that Banham didn't want to risk going back to Connecticut, and therefore didn't want to sign an offer sheet that could theoretically be matched. In that situation you're pretty much forced to work out some kind of trade unless the other team actually signs enough contracts to make it impossible for them to match (which Connecticut hadn't, to this point).

PostPosted: 02/26/20 1:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Assuming Chennedy Carter early-declares, Dangerfield at 6 in a draft this volatile post-lottery picks isn't terrible. I get that people are really turned off by her shortness, but again, Leilani Mitchell is still around and thriving. I think as long as Dangerfield stays healthy, she'll have a good, long career. I like her the most out of all the true-PG prospects.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/26/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

High Post Hoops says Banham's contract is $100k for this year and $103k 2021, no protection, so a bit cheaper salary-wise than what would've needed to absolutely guarantee Connecticut couldn't max without using protection. I'm not sweating trading away a 2nd round pick because not like a guarantee that player will be a rare 2nd round pick supertar anyways and lots of 2nd round pick caliber players end up on Waiver Mart.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2nd-round picks can be useful to get other trades done, though. So there's always at least a small opportunity cost in giving them up, even ignoring the small chance that the hypothetical player would've been any good.

I don't think giving it up to get Banham is a huge deal, just that it seemed like they probably could've acquired her without that cost. Eh, if she turns out to be any good, it'll certainly be worth it.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
2nd-round picks can be useful to get other trades done, though. So there's always at least a small opportunity cost in giving them up, even ignoring the small chance that the hypothetical player would've been any good.

I don't think giving it up to get Banham is a huge deal, just that it seemed like they probably could've acquired her without that cost. Eh, if she turns out to be any good, it'll certainly be worth it.

Yeah, that's where I'm falling on this. The contract wasn't terrible considering what the market seems to be doing this year, though I think they signed her for enough that CT wouldn't have matched so I was a little surprised that they felt they needed to do the S&T.

I guess they felt the 2nd round pick was worth just having no worries at all. Which has some validity to it.

People at the mixer confirmed what the Instagram picture seems to have suggested: Banham looks to be in very good physical shape this year.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s alright, I suppose. I was hoping for more like $90K. But she is unprotected if they end up needing the cap space.

Only thing is I don’t think Reeve is heartless enough to cut Banham for the sake of a good business move. That’s why picking her up wasn’t the greatest move if there were other options. There’s always going to be a faction that will hate Reeve for cutting Banham no matter how bad she might turn out to be.

Anyway I hope Reeve keeps pursuing better PG options in free agency, so the nightmare of overreaching for PG at #6 doesn’t come to fruition. If Carter falls to #6, I’m all-in taking her. Otherwise, I’m looking at posts like Hebard (ideal), Alarie, or Mompremier (if she looks strong in her few remaining games). Could get lucky with PG candidates at #14 (Cooper?).

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Yeah, that's where I'm falling on this. The contract wasn't terrible considering what the market seems to be doing this year, though I think they signed her for enough that CT wouldn't have matched so I was a little surprised that they felt they needed to do the S&T.

I’ve seen a couple deals (unless they were clerical errors) where the second year money actually drops from the first year. That would have been ideal in this case.

First year: $130K (Sun can’t match, over cap)
Second year: $103K

Sun can’t match offer. Minnesota keeps 2021 second round pick at a cost of only $30K, which they can afford this year.

But I suppose if the Sun wanted Banham that badly, they could have matched the offer and then dumped Brionna Jones for a $11K savings by picking up another $57K player). They could also trade Plaisance for a cheaper option. Hard to win though with a bench full of “cheaper options”.

But I suppose there’s the psychological effect on the team of making Banham the highest paid player that might not be too good. That’s a bad part of salary information being public now.

Last edited by Shades on 02/26/20 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/26/20 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Anyway I hope Reeve keeps pursuing better PG options in free agency, so the nightmare of overreaching for PG at #6 doesn’t come to fruition. If Carter falls to #6, I’m all-in taking her. Otherwise, I’m looking at posts like Hebard (ideal), Alarie, or Mompremier (if she looks strong in her few remaining games). Could get lucky with PG candidates at #14 (Cooper?).

Reeve said on clip I saw of yesteday's gathering she believes in picking best player, not any speicfic position, so if a post is way better than the guards, maybe you'll be lucky. Smile
Otherwise, who is out there as a FA that is worth anything? Let's just ride or die with Brown, Banham and maybe #14 pick until Sims ever comes back.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/26/20 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I believe salaires can only go up or down an amount of 3% of the year 1 amount. Not sure why Banham's Year 2 salary is higher than Year 1, but maybe, especially if she gives the impression she only wants to ever play in Minnesota she could always be snuck through waivers if the Lynx really need extra cap space next year.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/26/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:

I believe salaires can only go up or down an amount of 3% of the year 1 amount. Not sure why Banham's Year 2 salary is higher than Year 1, but maybe, especially if she gives the impression she only wants to ever play in Minnesota she could always be snuck through waivers if the Lynx really need extra cap space next year.

I think you’re right because Dolson’s drops from 180K to 175K, which is about 3%. Quigley’s drops from $200K to $194K, 3% exactly.

So the lowest in my Banham example would be $126K.

stever

PostPosted: 03/04/20 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Inability to come to agreement on new deal with Lynx left Seimone Augustus ‘shocked’ and ‘confused,’ she says in Instagram video

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/04/inability-to-come-to-agreement-on-new-deal-with-lynx-left-seimone-augustus-shocked-and-confused-she-says-in-instagram-video/

Quote:
Augustus likened the negotiations to an argument with your significant other, and someone reveals something about how they felt that the other did not know. When it happens, Augustus said, you can hold on to that and have it come out again later, or you can simply call it quits.

At that point, Augustus said, it was not about the money.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/04/20 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's hard for players to realize they don't have the same capabilities (or value) they used to. But it's too bad they couldn't keep Seimone. It's not like they have a plethora of guards at this point.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 03/05/20 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a business, and business decisions are made ...

I think many of us have been surprised at decisions made by our bosses about careers, and hurt as well. That doesn't mean Augustus doesn't have a gripe, but it's part of life, sadly.

PostPosted: 03/05/20 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya article in Time
https://time.com/5793243/maya-moore-basketball-justice/

Quote:
Are you going to play basketball again?
Well I’m still in my time away and not really talking more about it other than I’m not playing this year. That’s just the best way to leave it. Sometimes you have to, like last year, just kind of sit in that “not knowing tension” of what the next chapter’s going to hold. But I’m comfortable right now just leaving it open for this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 14 of 29

Jump to: