RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Indiana Fever 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That’s why I was a little confused by the posting of the Laney video and subsequent signing. With Laney they have 13 signed, 11 of those 13 are pretty solid. The marginal ones being McCall and Kea. Mavunga looked surprisingly good at times.

Gotta leave room for at least that #3 pick.

They don’t specify terms so I suppose this Határ is a training camp signing.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCall ain't making the Fever's roster in 2020, and Kea most likely won't unless a year overseas helped mightily in improving her game - assuming she's even playing overseas; I for one haven't heard much about her.

And Mavunga certainly isn't a lock, considering both how inconsistent she was and that she didn't really improve at all from her first year to her second year. Add in that the Fever is under new leadership in Marianne Stanley, and this new Határ could definitely beat those three out for a spot. She can be the Fever's older (and thus more refined?) version of Han Xu...

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/24/20 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Vivians out for another season? Just noticed she’s not on the roster. Hopefully she can get back to 100, after a very promising rookie season.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/24/20 5:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
Is Vivians out for another season? Just noticed she’s not on the roster. Hopefully she can get back to 100, after a very promising rookie season.

She's currently playing in Israel, so I'd imagine she'll be playing in Indiana as well.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

They are overloaded at the SF/big guard position.
So much so that I was surprised they signed Laney.
And now the prospects for adding Sabally have gone up. I’d play her at the SF for her ultimate WNBA position.

SF/big guard
Laney
Vivians
Burke
SJohnson
Sabally?

The middle three can take a guard spot, but it still seems like more than they need.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Burke's on a rookie contract and can be cut. I think Dallas takes Sabally and the Fever get Cox.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Burke's on a rookie contract and can be cut.

So is Vivians. Burke has shown she’s too good to be cut. I’d love a trade of her to Minnesota.

toad455 wrote:
I think Dallas takes Sabally and the Fever get Cox.

It’s a tough call at this point.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have:

PG: Wheeler/2nd round pick
SG: KMitchell/TMitchell
SF: Vivians/Burke/Laney
PF: Dupree/Cox/Mavunga
C: McCowan/Achonwa

Shades

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SJohnson is on a guaranteed contract, so she should edge out the second round pick.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/24/20 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SJohnson is on a guaranteed contract, so she should edge out the second round pick.

Forgot about her.

PG: Wheeler/KMitchell
SG: TMitchell/SJohnson
PF: Dupree/Cox/Mavunga
C: McCowan/Achonwa

root_thing

PostPosted: 02/24/20 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
McCall ain't making the Fever's roster in 2020, and Kea most likely won't unless a year overseas helped mightily in improving her game - assuming she's even playing overseas; I for one haven't heard much about her.

Kea is playing in Russia, averaging 15.4 ppg and 1.7 apg in 27 games, Russian League and Eurocup combined. The low assist rate suggests that she's playing SG instead of PG. However, look at the shooting percentages:

FG 51.8% (146-282)
3P 50.6% (44-87)
FT 88.0% (81-92)

You can't do much better than that.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Kea is playing in Russia, averaging 15.4 ppg and 1.7 apg in 27 games, Russian League and Eurocup combined. The low assist rate suggests that she's playing SG instead of PG. However, look at the shooting percentages:

FG 51.8% (146-282)
3P 50.6% (44-87)
FT 88.0% (81-92)

That's one explanation. Could be she's just calling her own number. Smile Anyway, that looks promising and I hope she well in the WNBA this year.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/24/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

FG 51.8% (146-282)
3P 50.6% (44-87)
FT 88.0% (81-92)

She's on the same roster as Kseniia Levchenko, who's one of the 'point guard of the future' prospects for Russia, so that's probably where most of the point guard minutes are going.

With those sorts of numbers she might at least get a look in Minnesota if Indiana cut her loose.

PostPosted: 02/25/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.slamonline.com/wnba/victoria-vivians-story/

Quote:
“I’m very excited because I know how [McCowan] plays, and I know how to play with her and she knows how to play with me,” VIvians says. “Now I get to play with her again and hopefully, we play a long time together.”

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/26/20 1:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Romania:
http://www.womensbasketball247.com/2020/02/romanian-league-february-14th-21st/

Shades wrote:
Any knowledge of why Dupree hasn’t played many games?
Any opinion on Hatar as a WNBA player?

Dupree did not sign until later in the season so I think she's pretty much played in every game since she's been there.

I suppose Hatar is worth a look, but she's pretty limited even at the top European level. Her height and size can bother other centers who are not used to it, but she's not much of a help defender due to lack of mobility. She's not much of a finisher and her offensive game is mainly facing up and shooting. Maybe she toughens McCowan up for a couple weeks and then flies back to Europe.

If that's the case, I like Hatar as a complementary back-up to McCowan. In practice, McCowan can learn how to defend a player taller than her with a face-up game, and Hatar can learn how to be more physical having to go against McCowan. Seems like a solid, underrated signing all-around.

toad455

PostPosted: 03/02/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever sign Belgium PG Julie Allemand to multi-year deal. Pushes K. Mitchell to SG now.

PG: Wheeler/Allemand
SG: KMitchell/TMitchell/SJohnson
PF: Dupree/Mavunga/McCall
C: McCowan/Achonwa/Hatar
Plus the #3 pick, #16 pick & #28 pick.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/20 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Confused

K. Mitchell wasn’t the SG last year?

PostPosted: 03/02/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big fan of Allemand. We never know how well foreign players are going to work out in the WNBA, but she has some real quality. Defintely intrigued to see how she fits in and what she can add.

PostPosted: 03/02/20 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Fever sign Belgium PG Julie Allemand to multi-year deal. Pushes K. Mitchell to SG now.

PG: Wheeler/Allemand/Kea
SG: KMitchell/TMitchell/SJohnson
PF: Dupree/Mavunga/McCall
C: McCowan/Achonwa/Hatar
Plus the #3 pick, #16 pick & #28 pick.

The "easy" cuts (for me) would be McCall, Laney, Kea, and Mavunga in that order - with one spot left for the #3. Although I think if they can find a way to cut/buy-out SJohnson, they should go that route - her ACL tear really hurt her effectiveness last year - but she's almost assuredly safe.

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, 'multi-year' does actually mean it can't be a training camp contract - by definition those have to be one year. Unlike most of the foreigners drafted these days, it likely means she never signed the rookie scale deal and the contract is just her finally signing that deal. Although technically, if she signed it back in 2016 and just never showed up - which is now the standard move for most international draftees - it would've expired by now and they'd have had to have signed a new contract.

If Allemand did sign a contract, it wasn't on the 2016 WNBA Transactions page, fwiw. So it doesn't appear that she ever did.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 03/02/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, 'multi-year' does actually mean it can't be a training camp contract - by definition those have to be one year. Unlike most of the foreigners drafted these days, it likely means she never signed the rookie scale deal and the contract is just her finally signing that deal. Although technically, if she signed it back in 2016 and just never showed up - which is now the standard move for most international draftees - it would've expired by now and they'd have had to have signed a new contract.

If Allemand did sign a contract, it wasn't on the 2016 WNBA Transactions page, fwiw. So it doesn't appear that she ever did.

Means virtually nothing. Fagbenle did sign her rookie scale deal in 2016, despite having no intention of playing until 2017 (as illustrated by her being out of contract right now). But she's not on that transaction page either. It's not the sort of thing they consistently bother to tell us about.

PostPosted: 03/02/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Free Agency: Indiana Fever add Julie Allemand of Belgium but also eagerly await the 2020 WNBA Draft

https://www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/wnba/2020/3/2/21161349/wnba-free-agency-indiana-fever-julie-allemand-erica-wheeler-tamika-catchings-kelsey-mitchell-dupree

Quote:
But Kelsey Mitchell is the one poised to have a breakout season and become an even bigger star than she is already — potentially one who can put the team on her back. But the third-year player will need a solid supporting cast and McCowan likely will play a bigger role this year to help out.

FWIW, I’m a little surprised the plan is to build around K. Mitchell, but maybe I’m reading too much into it.

PostPosted: 03/02/20 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
WNBA Free Agency: Indiana Fever add Julie Allemand of Belgium but also eagerly await the 2020 WNBA Draft

https://www.swishappeal.com/platform/amp/wnba/2020/3/2/21161349/wnba-free-agency-indiana-fever-julie-allemand-erica-wheeler-tamika-catchings-kelsey-mitchell-dupree

Quote:
But Kelsey Mitchell is the one poised to have a breakout season and become an even bigger star than she is already — potentially one who can put the team on her back. But the third-year player will need a solid supporting cast and McCowan likely will play a bigger role this year to help out.

FWIW, I’m a little surprised the plan is to build around K. Mitchell, but maybe I’m reading too much into it.

No one from the Fever said that - the writer of the piece did. And even he didn't see say the plan was the build around K Mitchell.

So, yes, I'd say you are reading too much into it.

That said, Mitchell has a lot of potential. It's hard to know how much her problem has been bad coaching and how much is that that this is just the player she is. The season will be telling.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/02/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Thanks for confirming. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/02/20 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Thanks for confirming. Laughing

Wink

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 03/02/20 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So who would you build this team around? Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: