RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not thrilled. I'll say it now.. The Sun took a huge step back this off-season.

The Bonner deal might be the worst trade the Sun ever did since trading Katie Douglas for Tamika Whitmore's contract. I know Katie wanted to go home, but they got in return a bad contract they couldn't get out from under from for years.

So Bonner's max contract cost them Morgan Tuck, Chiney Ogwumike, and their own #1 pick this year and next.

I'm guessing Courtney felt shafted after seeing the Bonner deal and J. Jones's deal. I think the Sun should have done better for a versatile young player than
January and second round pick in 2021.

It might be a long season for Amber Cox and the marketing department selling this team

Last edited by RI_Sun_Fan on 02/19/20 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun got screwed in this trade. Phoenix couldn't throw in Cunningham? Or Atlanta couldn't throw in Billings?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought if the trade was to ATL, it might be Hayes for Williams straight up. Hayes gives you that cheaper salary for two more years.

I also thought Miller would have found a way to unload Plaisance for a cheaper player by now.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This season's team is gonna revert back to losing at home to Phoenix in one of the playoff's opening rounds, isn't it. Rolling Eyes

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@alexaphilippou

Courtney Williams responds to Curt Miller's statement that she wanted out of CT: "Don’t get caught up in all the rumors that you may hear about why I left. I never intended nor wanted to leave CT and I hope the Connecticut fans and my teammates really understand that."

Quote:
@alexaphilippou

"Genuine loyalty is shown through the good or the bad. At the bare minimum I could have gotten a “thank you” like every other player that decided not to rejoin the team, but like I said previously they continue to show me that business is business."

Never realized how valuable Twitter was. Laughing

Can't put my finger on it, but I always kinda had a feeling that C. Williams and Curt Miller had the potential to clash. Well, I guess that potential's been realized...

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
I'm not thrilled. I'll say it now.. The Sun took a huge step back this off-season.

The Bonner deal might be the worst trade the Sun ever did since trading Katie Douglas for Tamika Whitmore's contract. I know Katie wanted to go home, but they got in return a bad contract they couldn't get out from under from for years.

You have $30,000 gained and 3 1st rounds picks gone to see if was worth it or not.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
“Loyalty and support” *snicker*

You sign someone from outside “family” to a $215K four year deal, and you want to preach loyalty? I want to know what was the best deal he offered her to stay?

You must've been right (in your posts you reminded me of) guessing that Miller wanted Williams at a discount, as that must be the only way to fit under the salary cap after all the other re-signings. Was it worth it for this year over re-signing Holmes at 130k (and last year tradining for Plaissance and her 104k this year?) But then as you said, they wouldn't be able to keep everybody in 2021 and someone would have to go. (They maybe then would've gotten a better deal then for Williams, or who knows?).

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Williams fit in Connecticut at 185k. If she wanted to be in Connecticut at that figure, I'm sure several teams would've given her an offer sheet to sign. Clearly she didn't want to risk them matching it.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I thought if the trade was to ATL, it might be Hayes for Williams straight up. Hayes gives you that cheaper salary for two more years.

I also thought Miller would have found a way to unload Plaisance for a cheaper player by now.

Cheaper player such as Kristine Anigwe? Laughing

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/20 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so

January/Heideman
J. Thomas/Banham?/(Holmes)
Bonner/Holmes
A. Thomas/Plaisance
J. Jones/B. Jones

that starting line up still looks strong

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
so

January/Heideman
Bonner/Holmes
A. Thomas/Plaisance
J. Jones/B. Jones

To me, Bonner is just a somewhat taller Williams. Yeah, Williams is younger and a better leaper but I think Bonner shouldn’t have too much of a problem being integrated in the offense. Losing Stricklen is probably going to hurt in terms of perimeter spacing, Jones is the best shooter in that lineup which is somewhat of a problem.

And man, that bench..

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Shades wrote:

Cheaper player such as Kristine Anigwe? Laughing

Did I ever post the article where it said Anigwe yelled at Miller? Bone redeux?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/19/20 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
so

January/Heideman
Bonner/Holmes
A. Thomas/Plaisance
J. Jones/B. Jones

To me, Bonner is just a somewhat taller Williams. Yeah, Williams is younger and a better leaper but I think Bonner shouldn’t have too much of a problem being integrated in the offense. Losing Stricklen is probably going to hurt in terms of perimeter spacing, Jones is the best shooter in that lineup which is somewhat of a problem.

And man, that bench..

That spacing issue is one of the defenses of the January move - she's a 38% career shooter from three, often on catch-and-shoot efforts on passes from Catchings, Griner, Taurasi etc. So if you're right that Bonner replaces Williams, in Curt Miller's ideal scenario January replaces Stricklen (only with better D). And yeah, the bench stinks again, but it was awful last year too when they went 23-11. I'm not sure it can be much worse.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Alyssa Thomas ever gonna get surgery on her two torn shoulder labrums? If the recovery time is nine months, she'll never have time if she wants to keep playing both overseas and in the W. At some point I feel like she'll choose to take a W season off to do that, since I believe she has said she doesn't want to have to give up the overseas paycheck. It probably won't happen in 2020, but...

toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/20 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banham is expected to sign with Minnesota. So their bench is looking rather pathetic.

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: January/
SF: Bonner/Holmes
PF: AThomas/Plaisance
C: JJones/BJones

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 02/19/20 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Banham is expected to sign with Minnesota. So their bench is looking rather pathetic.

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: January/
SF: Bonner/Holmes
PF: AThomas/Plaisance
C: JJones/BJones

This wouldn't look as bad if the Sun had a couple of draft pics to fill this roster out... looks like the Sun is going to have one eye on the waiver wire.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More of Williams's side of the story: https://twitter.com/CourtMWilliams/status/1230346962899292161?s=20
Quote:
Of course all that’s being talked about is what was offered AFTER they originally said they didn’t have the “money” to pay me bc they wanted to bring back “pieces” yet was out offering DB the max max. I never minded telling the ENTIRE truth, and I still don’t.

The order these things happen in is often so important. Maybe a team did everything they're claiming to have done, but only after already essentially lying to the player and pissing them off beyond salvaging. Or maybe a player 'never wanted to leave' until the team failed to cater to absolutely every tiny little whim they might've had. And always seems different depending on which side you're seeing it from.

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
More of Williams's side of the story: https://twitter.com/CourtMWilliams/status/1230346962899292161?s=20
Quote:
Of course all that’s being talked about is what was offered AFTER they originally said they didn’t have the “money” to pay me bc they wanted to bring back “pieces” yet was out offering DB the max max. I never minded telling the ENTIRE truth, and I still don’t.

The order these things happen in is often so important. Maybe a team did everything they're claiming to have done, but only after already essentially lying to the player and pissing them off beyond salvaging. Or maybe a player 'never wanted to leave' until the team failed to cater to absolutely every tiny little whim they might've had. And always seems different depending on which side you're seeing it from.

Looking at the entirety of that conversation thread, what is Amber Cox doing defending Miller in a sarcastic tweet like that?? She ought to know better as a high-ranking company executive not to engage in negative conversation about the team she helps run; that is absolutely not the professional way to go about one's business. Y'all may disagree and say she has every right to say whatever she wants like that, but imo saying anything in that conversational situation is the wrong thing to do, let alone a classless sarcastic reply to what appears to be just a casual fan's casual opinion. Not a good look for her at all.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She probably shouldn't be getting too up-front and open with randoms, but in my experience she has always been very fan-interactive and I think it has always come from a place of good intent. So I don't mind it in her case.
Certainly makes for some fun reading Smile

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Certainly makes for some fun reading Smile

You're not wrong about that! At this point, the Sun should just say "f*ck it!" and give Alex Bentley another go - add as much fuel to the flames as possible. Twisted Evil This league could use more spicy rivalries these days...

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/20/20 3:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Is Alyssa Thomas ever gonna get surgery on her two torn shoulder labrums? If the recovery time is nine months, she'll never have time if she wants to keep playing both overseas and in the W. At some point I feel like she'll choose to take a W season off to do that, since I believe she has said she doesn't want to have to give up the overseas paycheck. It probably won't happen in 2020, but...

I dont think she earns (a lot)more then 185.00-215.000 overseas though. Its not like UMMC is ever going to sign her and pay her 500.000+. So the difference between max in the wnba(in her future) and her paycheck overseas will not be that much.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/20/20 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Quote:

Looking at the entirety of that conversation thread, what is Amber Cox doing defending Miller in a sarcastic tweet like that?? She ought to know better as a high-ranking company executive not to engage in negative conversation about the team she helps run; that is absolutely not the professional way to go about one's business. Y'all may disagree and say she has every right to say whatever she wants like that, but imo saying anything in that conversational situation is the wrong thing to do, let alone a classless sarcastic reply to what appears to be just a casual fan's casual opinion. Not a good look for her at all.

+1

dreamfan11

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is what is trending - and the source is pretty accurate - Miller low-balled Williams on a contract; while he was paying Bonner top-max dollars for FOUR years and Jones the very top dollars; He refused to budge even after he was called out what he was offering; then, he had players and Cox calling her to bully her into staying - to the extent that Cox threatened her livelihood by insinuating she may not play in the league - what a doofus. Also, the GM in ATL Sinko is the one who brought Williams to CT in a trade for Bone - maybe there is more trust with him and Collins who coached her for two years. Sinko brought Striklen to CT in a trade from Seattle when he was there.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dreamfan11 wrote:
Cox threatened her livelihood by insinuating she may not play in the league - what a doofus.

I wouldn’t be surprised at all. PHX tanked in 2012 under her leadership and hands-on guidance. Can’t expect a lot of credibility and doing things the right way from her.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Certainly makes for some fun reading :)

You're not wrong about that! At this point, the Sun should just say "f*ck it!" and give Alex Bentley another go - add as much fuel to the flames as possible. :twisted: This league could use more spicy rivalries these days...

I am all-in on more petty. #HateHard

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 02/21/20 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Amber Cox and the marketing department used "Burn it Down" a year early... this feels like the start of Burn it Down.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: