Shades

PostPosted: 02/16/20 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Shades wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I could see teams lining up if L.Allen is waived

Everyone needs a good back up pg

REEVE!

Wouldn’t want to pay Laimbeer prices for her though. Just wait for him to cut her maybe.

Sorry but Atlanta is way ahead of Lynx on the waiver wire, and they need a PG better than Montgomery and Cazorla, which is not a very high bar.

Cazorla might be going to the Liberty as part of the Charles trade.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/16/20 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Laimbeer trading Plum at this time doesn’t seem like it makes sense, although we all know how he doesn’t like small guards, and this would be the year in which a trade like that happens. But Plum really stepped up for the Aces in the playoffs last year (unlike other starters), so why not give her a chance to maintain that level of consistency this year? Also, she really didn’t have a good enough year overall for one to say that Laimbeer would be “selling high” on her, unless that playoff performance + these Team USA exhibition games are good enough for Cheryl Reeve to give Laimbeer good value back. Aces would surely get the Lynx’s 2020 first-rounder in a trade, along with something else imo.

As for Jackie Young, a decent-sized perimeter player doesn’t have to have good shooting to be a SF, if she really develops her defense instead. She’s certainly not a lost cause as a shooter though - I don’t remember her missing many 3s in the playoffs last year. I personally think she’ll end up being fine. Though if we’re discussing a Plum trade as a possibility, who’s to say Young isn’t on the trading block herself?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/16/20 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't quite see the point of DRob over Allen as a backup PG. So far, I'm seeing changes that may look good on paper but may not translate well into team play.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/16/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think plum has worked her way into Laimbeer's good graces and has made herself a vital part of the Aces. She is also still on a rookie deal and is their best 3 point shooter she is not on the trading block anymore imo.

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/16/20 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I better go hurry and make a bet on Las Vegas to win it all before the odds get even more short... Twisted Evil

Welcome to LV Danielle! Cool

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/16/20 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Laimbeer trading Plum at this time doesn’t seem like it makes sense, although we all know how he doesn’t like small guards, and this would be the year in which a trade like that happens. But Plum really stepped up for the Aces in the playoffs last year (unlike other starters), so why not give her a chance to maintain that level of consistency this year? Also, she really didn’t have a good enough year overall for one to say that Laimbeer would be “selling high” on her, unless that playoff performance + these Team USA exhibition games are good enough for Cheryl Reeve to give Laimbeer good value back. Aces would surely get the Lynx’s 2020 first-rounder in a trade, along with something else imo.

As for Jackie Young, a decent-sized perimeter player doesn’t have to have good shooting to be a SF, if she really develops her defense instead. She’s certainly not a lost cause as a shooter though - I don’t remember her missing many 3s in the playoffs last year. I personally think she’ll end up being fine. Though if we’re discussing a Plum trade as a possibility, who’s to say Young isn’t on the trading block herself?

Jackie Young is very young so it's kind of unfair to evaluate her yet IMO. I'm sure she's been working on her game and I'd like to see what she looks like coming back. She'd only be a senior in college this year. Plus, she's a good defender, has size and can play the 1, 2, and 3 positions. Would be surprised if she was traded.

Would be surprised to see Plum traded.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

By acquiring Angel, they repaired their weakest link. now the real question is if Cambage will be playing.

I still think J. Young is a younger version of T. Young. Bill obviously likes T. but having two of them on your team seems a bit much, especially with Angel now there as the starting SF.

One possibility (maybe): start DRob. Then bring Plum in to have somebody on the second squad who can actually shoot. Otherwise you can always just rotate the non-shooters in with those who can. Hamby at least has some offense

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/18/20 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://aces.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-re-signs-all-star-guard-sugar-rodgers/

Rodgers being re-signed probably means that Epiphanny Prince won't be brought back.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
https://aces.wnba.com/news/las-vegas-re-signs-all-star-guard-sugar-rodgers/

Rodgers being re-signed probably means that Epiphanny Prince won't be brought back.

well, there's somebody on the second team who can actually shoot.

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/18/20 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

almost there

Plum/D-Rob
McBride/Sugar
Angel/J. Young
Wilson/Hamby/Park
Cambage(hopefully)/Swords (probably)

one spot left for L. Allen, 3rd round pick, camp invite or waiver wire.

Still think Minny should offer #14 for L. Allen

heck maybe Washington should offer #12

LV needs a pick for that last spot and Minn and Washington need another PG

I am not sure any of Dangerfield, Cooper or Harris last to 14 and maybe not even 12

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I am not sure any of Dangerfield, Cooper or Harris last to 14 and maybe not even 12

At least one of them should make it to #12.
He could have a mystery PG up his sleeve too.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/18/20 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That post lineup is pretty worrisome. Cambage is a big question mark, and Swords and Park are mediocre backups at best.

tfan

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jackie Young has good size for a point guard, but if she were at the 3, as in college, I think she is shorter than the average WNBA 3. Would like to see her standing next to the 5'10" listed McBride to compare with Young's 6'0" listing.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Cambage is a big question mark.

Not sure why people keep saying this.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, show some respect people. How about statuesque question mark.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess I have to post this video again. Spooner, make sure you watch this.
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pjyW0twr7c8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/19/20 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey I love me some Liz

but we got to talk about something

free agency is winding down and the draft is two months away

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/19/20 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Jackie Young has good size for a point guard, but if she were at the 3, as in college, I think she is shorter than the average WNBA 3. Would like to see her standing next to the 5'10" listed McBride to compare with Young's 6'0" listing.

I'm still not sure the 3 position even exists in the WNBA at this point Very Happy

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/19/20 5:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
That post lineup is pretty worrisome. Cambage is a big question mark, and Swords and Park are mediocre backups at best.

You can play Hamby 30 minutes a game and your problem will be solved. 2 medicocre backups are enough for 10 minutes
Cambage cant play more then 30 minutes per game anyway (foul trouble and condition)

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 02/19/20 6:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

Swords only gets re-signed if Cambage doesn't return. Park may or may not play this season due to the Olympics.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Las Vegas Aces General Manager Dan Padover On A Crazy Week Of WNBA Free Agency

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2020/02/19/las-vegas-aces-general-manager-dan-padover-crazy-week-wnba-free-agency/#7d8521d91f2d

Quote:
“For anything like this to work with a player of Angel’s magnitude, both sides have to take a strong, hard look at it and say, ‘We’re OK with this,’” says Padover. “She’s at a stage in her career where I don’t think she’s worried about scoring 20 every night — she just wants to win.”

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
You can play Hamby 30 minutes a game and your problem will be solved. 2 medicocre backups are enough for 10 minutes
Cambage cant play more then 30 minutes per game anyway (foul trouble and condition)

toad455 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Swords only gets re-signed if Cambage doesn't return. Park may or may not play this season due to the Olympics.

That was rather my point. Hamby is a 4. Cambage is always a question mark until she's signed and physically in the city. Park contributed so little last season that she wouldn't be missed. Swords will get re-signed although maybe not by the Aces since she's UFA. There aren't a lot of centers left through FA and it's doubtful that pick #33 will provide one via the draft. LVA has put all its eggs in Cambage's basket, or they're going to have to trade away another of their pieces for a post.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/19/20 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or Wilson just plays plenty of 5, where she's perfectly comfortable anyway.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wilson has spent her entire career trying NOT to have to play the 5.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/20 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brendonkleen/2020/02/19/las-vegas-aces-general-manager-dan-padover-crazy-week-wnba-free-agency/#7d8521d91f2d

Quote:
After the Atlanta Dream decided not to use the core designation (the WNBA’s version of the franchise tag) on McCoughtry, she became the top play-maker on Las Vegas’ free agency board.

You see, compared to Bonner,
*McCoughtry was $30K cheaper per year
*McCoughtry didn’t cost future assets
*McCoughtry didn’t require more than a two year deal. Anything more than a two year deal could have threatened to break up the current core.

Quote:
Everyone sacrifices something on great teams

I guess Bonner’s agent didn’t get the note.

Quote:
Kelsey Plum came off the bench most of the season

See this, Spooner? You think that’s going to change with the additions of McCoughtry and DRob?

Quote:
But don’t worry about the quiet on the Cambage front. The All-Star has been leading the Australian women’s national team during Olympic qualifiers and was involved at NBA All-Star weekend in Chicago. The team will discuss a new contract with her this week, now that the dust has cleared.

She’s excited to come back and we couldn’t be more thrilled to have her back,” says Padover.

After Cambage signs, the Aces will only have two roster spots left.

So it’s not IF Cambage comes back but WHEN.

Quote:
Understanding Las Vegas’ young players are in line to get paid soon, the team was not willing to ink any massive, multi-year deals that jeopardized their future flexibility.

It’s what I’ve been saying all along, you have to make sure you have the money to pay your current core in the future, your Maya’s and Fowles. For Vegas It would be Cambage, Wilson, McBride, and Hamby. I think Hamby is cheap for two more years. So what looked like overpaying her last year turned out to be a great deal.

Quote:
“That’s what teams who understand the new CBA are really going to do,” says Padover. “We have to look out for the team that we have, and we were just not going to go there.”

This isn’t Miller’s philosophy. He’s going to end up making somebody from their core feel slighted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: