RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#11 Oregon State @ #7 UCLA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win the PAC 12 Duel Vying for #3/#4 Tourney Slots?
Pivec Picks their Pockets full o' posies, Leading Beaves to Victory
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Onyen-wears 'em all down, dominating the scoring that secures Bruins a win
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
It's a tie at the end of 40, so Close and Rueck must armwrestle for the win (best 2 out of 3)
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

Howee

PostPosted: 02/16/20 11:08 pm    ::: #11 Oregon State @ #7 UCLA Reply Reply with quote

9 pm EST
Pauley Pavilion
Somewhere in the Greater "City of Angels" metropolitan area.

UCLA has been coming on strong in this part of the season. Oregon State seems to have had a few wheels fall of their wagon (read: injuries)

Who will make it onto the second tier shelves of the Powerful PAC 12??? AZ, AZ-St., UCLA and OR St are all contenders Shocked

PostPosted: 02/17/20 6:27 pm    ::: Re: #11 Oregon State @ #7 UCLA Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
9 pm EST
Pauley Pavilion
Somewhere in the Greater "City of Angels" metropolitan area.

UCLA has been coming on strong in this part of the season. Oregon State seems to have had a few wheels fall of their wagon (read: injuries)

Who will make it onto the second tier shelves of the Powerful PAC 12??? AZ, AZ-St., UCLA and OR St are all contenders Shocked

If UCLA were to win tonight, the remainder of their schedule lays out such that the Bruins would have a very good chance to snag the 2-seed in the Pac-12 tournament (remember that they own the the tiebreaker against Stanford, who are currently one game ahead of UCLA, but whose remaining 4 regular season games are toughtoughtough).

Whichever team gets that 2-seed will dodge a potential quarterfinal match-up against either OSU or ASU. It'll also postpone a possible matchup against the Ducks until the tournament finals (something that's of course true of the 3-seed).

Would love for my Bruins to put themselves on that path tonight with a W against the Beavs.

Last edited by patsweetpat on 02/17/20 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
taropatch

PostPosted: 02/17/20 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCLA by 10+
All that length on Oregon State's team will be frightening next year. Them injuries are tough to swallow.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I couldn't understand the damn poll. What the hell does it mean??? Is this some kind of West Coast lingo???!?!

Howee

PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
I couldn't understand the damn poll. What the hell does it mean??? Is this some kind of West Coast lingo???!?!

Laughing Yes. It's just how The Left Coast talks. About women's hoops, at least.

I wrote it that way so Myrtle could comprehend it. Razz

taropatch wrote:
UCLA by 10+

All that length on Oregon State's team will be frightening next year. Them injuries are tough to swallow.

I dunno....Scotty hasn't taken over the (wbb) world yet with his 6'9"-ers. He's got *length*, but post talent isn't too sparkly atm. That said, he ought to have a couple of decent seasons if *length* is any measure, but....what has he got in backcourt talent?? Pivec and Thropay are the obviously huge losses for them. I know nothing of their up-and-coming guards.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is just ugly so far. And will probably continue to be so. OrSU can't get the ball up the floor and UCLA can't shoot.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Pivec and Thropay are the obviously huge losses for them. I know nothing of their up-and-coming guards.

no, Thropay is not a big loss. In her case, it is addition by subtraction.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

well, UCLA gets several calls in a row. Kinda helps to get a few stripes to help you out.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 02/17/20 11:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, it won't make the "Must See Games" Hall of Fame, but it was .... close. Razz

Beavers' 24 TOs was a killer.

Otherwise, The Misses Pivec, Slocum, Osborne and Dean had themselves great scoring outings. Sligtly undermined by the combined 11 TOs on Pivec 'n Slocum. Congrats Bruins. Cool

....and the PAC !2 drama continues..... Shocked

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have to say that of the two Southern California teams, USC looks better than UCLA. No way should this game have been that close.

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
I have to say that of the two Southern California teams, USC looks better than UCLA. No way should this game have been that close.

FWIW, Massey projected a 3-point UCLA win tonight.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So it was option 3...or might as well have been...

~rAf
LitePal

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="patsweetpat"][quote="LitePal"]I have to say that of the two Southern California teams, USC looks better than UCLA. No way should this game have been that close.[/quote]

FWIW, Massey projected a 3-point UCLA win tonight.[/quote]

Corosdale out, Brown out, and Slocum briefly out. UCLA projects a 3 point win. USC did it with Slocum in and in regulation.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Major-league choke by the Beavs.

In the simplest of analysis, Slocum's unbelievably bad FT shooting (1-4 in reg.) cost them the game.[/list]

PostPosted: 02/18/20 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
LitePal wrote:

FWIW, Massey projected a 3-point UCLA win tonight.

Corosdale out, Brown out, and Slocum briefly out. UCLA projects a 3 point win. USC did it with Slocum in and in regulation.

Okay.

Kailapea

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
well, UCLA gets several calls in a row. Kinda helps to get a few stripes to help you out.

Oregon State understood that benefit, quite a bit, in the first half... So the couple calls the that went the Bruins way were quite appreciated.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kailapea wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Oregon State understood that benefit, quite a bit, in the first half... So the couple calls the that went the Bruins way were quite appreciated.

yeah, except these bad calls fouled out the Beavs best player and their only big post with the game on the line. Whatever the calls you noticed earlier definitely didn't have that big of an effect on the outcome of the game. The last foul on their big girl was a phantom, and the third and fourth foul on Pivec were bad and questionable calls. The fifth one was legit but should have been her third.

(I didn't see much of the second quarter - the first was so ugly I went and washed dishes for awhile - so didn't see any major reffing issues there. However when a team is stealing the ball a lot, usually they get called for fouls because there is a lot of poking and slapping and bumping. I didn't see many of those calls so assume UCLA got the benefit there as well - although OrSU's ball-handling was pretty abysmal)

In general, this was not a great display of P12 basketball. UClA should have been up by 20 at the half if they had made their layups. They shot worse than my local high school team (which has a player missing one hand, but even she makes most of her layups)

- Amanda Gorman
PRballer

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thoughts on this game.

Kind of sad that Oregon State tumbled a bit - at one point, they were in the discussions for a top 1 or 2 seed but the injuries have mounted and they never got that big win. Still certainly a Sweet 16 team. Does Slocum turn pro after this year? Doesn't seem ready yet to me.

Beth and Debbie were TERRIBLE on this call. I consider myself a fan and I didn't find their energy or analysis very good. They were almost sleepy, did anyone else get that vibe?

UCLA is good. I was surprised by the play of Jefferson - high energy defender and moves really well with her athleticism. She can really help this team in Feb and March.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Beth and Debbie were TERRIBLE on this call. I consider myself a fan and I didn't find their energy or analysis very good. They were almost sleepy, did anyone else get that vibe?

I think part of the problem is that they really have not followed the P12 AT ALL so they were struggling to remember names (beyond the top players) and trying to bring in relevant stats off their stat sheets - rather than actually having some idea of what the various players' roles are. You could almost hear them looking up numbers to see who a player might be. They only got a bit more animated when they started talking about the other teams (ACC) that deserved higher seeding than UCLA (I think one of them said something like 'UCLA just doesn't meet the eye test') This was early when UCLA was missing all their shots, but still not something I think is appropriate for a commentator at a game to say.

I agree Slocum is not ready yet. She has moments of glory and moments of omg. Had to admire her grit in this one though. With that bad of an ankle turn, nobody would have blamed her for staying on the bench.

I still think how far UCLA can go will be greatly determined by matchups. If they go up against a team with a big dominant post, they will be in trouble because of their own lack of size. But there aren't a lot of teams with that big dominant post, so they may be fine...

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll take a sleepy Beth and Debbie show over the typical PAC12 crew ANYTIME.

I must say I did hear a tolerable team of a guy with former AZ coach Bonvicini last week. They weren't very good, but they at least let the game breathe. Smile

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: