RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkster

PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:24 pm    ::: Re: Oregon State Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
Why did Oregon State move up after losing at home? Stanford drops after getting crushed by Oregon, ok. But then they beat Oregon State, who moves up? Is beating OSU beating a winless in conference Cal that impressive? I know these polls can be wacky, but still, is anyone paying attention out there?

Oregon St moved up despite losing 40 pts in the voting. Others must have lost more. The possible loss of Jones may also have factored in however I doubt many of the voters were even aware of that.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/20 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Oregon State Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
Why did Oregon State move up after losing at home? Stanford drops after getting crushed by Oregon, ok. But then they beat Oregon State, who moves up? Is beating OSU beating a winless in conference Cal that impressive? I know these polls can be wacky, but still, is anyone paying attention out there?

UCLA’s loss to USC was much worse than Ore St’s narrow loss to Stanford (who was and still is ranked higher). UCLA was lucky not to get punished more. So when UCLA dropped 3 spots, the 3 teams under UCLA moved up 1 spot. It’s the science of math. Losing to a higher ranked team doesn’t necessarily drop that team in the rankings, unless a large MOV calls for it.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
taropatch

PostPosted: 01/21/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so the coaches poll has Baylor #1 and SoCaro #2

what really caught my eye was at the bottom...where somebody voted for Stony Brook as the 25th best team in the country. Shocked

That's why the SID poll is a joke ...

If the Coaches Poll is a joke then so is the AP Poll. They are basically similar.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/22/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so the coaches poll has Baylor #1 and SoCaro #2

what really caught my eye was at the bottom...where somebody voted for Stony Brook as the 25th best team in the country. Shocked

That's why the SID poll is a joke ...

If the Coaches Poll is a joke then so is the AP Poll. They are basically similar.

I'm not going to argue ... I don't think the AP writers spend that much time on it, and since AP has cut back its coverage of conference games, there's less direct knowledge of the game.

Then again, women's basketball is fairly stratified, so it's reasonably easy to put together a decent-looking ballot.

PostPosted: 01/27/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ORST drops 3 to #10
MD up 3 to #17
ASU down 3 to #19
IND down 3 to #20
MOST rejoins at #24
ARK drops 4 to #25

WVU drops off Top 25

taropatch

PostPosted: 01/27/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

ORST drops 3 to #10
MD up 3 to #17
ASU down 3 to #19
IND down 3 to #20
MOST rejoins at #24
ARK drops 4 to #25

WVU drops off Top 25

Evidently, someone in the other poll (writer's poll) thinks the Stony Brook Seawolves belongs in the top 30. The leader in America East at 19-1 they have not faced higher tier competition with their only loss to Arkansas. Didn't know they are part of the SUNY system.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/28/20 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Gonzaga continues to climb even though they have beaten nobody in particular (best win Purdue). Shows the great inertia in voting. Beating nobodies is more important than losing to top teams.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/28/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so Gonzaga continues to climb even though they have beaten nobody in particular (best win Purdue). Shows the great inertia in voting. Beating nobodies is more important than losing to top teams.

That's always the way. Once you get in the poll you only move down if you lose and move up as others above you lose. Look at DePaul, about to move into the top 10 as those above them lose. And Baylor, who has no ranked opponents in their remaining games.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not a lot of movement in today’s poll.

AZ up 4 to #12
MD up 4 to #13

DEP down 3 to #14
FSU down 3 to #17

Nobody fell off and no new entries.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/10/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting notes on today's newest poll:

Kellie Harper's team from last year is now ranked above her current team. Shocked

NC State makes a sizeable jump to #4.

UCLA and Stanford swap places, more or less.

PostPosted: 02/10/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when you look at the 'others getting votes' you realize why they pretty much are left just re-arranging the chairs. I don't mean to harp on this because I hope the Zags do well, but they really should have dropped about another 8 places. They have no bad losses except this last one, but they also have no really good wins.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

those pollsters must be scratching their heads after this weekend!

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

STAN +4 to #4
LOU +4 to #5
MD +3 to #7
NCSU -6 to #10
KEN +4 to #14
ORST -4 to #15
FSU -3 to #17
IND -4 to #24
PRIN back on at #25

TEN drops off Top 25

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/17/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

STAN +4 to #4
LOU +4 to #5
MD +3 to #7
NCSU -6 to #10
KEN +4 to #14
ORST -4 to #15
FSU -3 to #17
IND -4 to #24
PRIN back on at #25

TEN drops off Top 25

No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!

- Amanda Gorman
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/17/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!

The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.

UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?

PostPosted: 02/17/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?

No ACC team should be in the top 10 IMHO. VERY VERY down year for the league. Duke is 4th in the ACC. 'Nuff said. Only 3 ACC teams deserve to be in the NCAA tourney this year and 3 is being lenient.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 02/17/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No ACC team should be in the top 10 IMHO. VERY VERY down year for the league. Duke is 4th in the ACC. 'Nuff said. Only 3 ACC teams deserve to be in the NCAA tourney this year and 3 is being lenient.

No AAC team should be in the top 10. The conference sucks. Only the AAC champ should be in the tournament.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we should just have a 32 team tourney since nobody deserves to be in it!

- Amanda Gorman
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have the time or money to watch a lot of college basketball. The one thing that I would like to see is a South Carolina versus Baylor rematch. With a healthy Cox playing of course. Cool

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No AAC team should be in the top 10. The conference sucks. Only the AAC champ should be in the tournament.

If UConn’s resume this season belonged to another team do you think that team would be ranked as high as UConn with the same seeding predictions?

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
If UConn’s resume this season belonged to another team do you think that team would be ranked as high as UConn with the same seeding predictions?

IMO UConn would probably be, as of right now, either the worst 2 seed or a 3 seed if they were any other team.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Baylor, that led UConn by 1 with 5mins left?

PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Or Baylor that held UCONN to two points for damn near a whole quarter.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Or Baylor that held UCONN to two points for damn near a whole quarter.

Ummm....wasn't that South Carolina?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: