RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

AP Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4361



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:24 pm    ::: Re: Oregon State Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
Why did Oregon State move up after losing at home? Stanford drops after getting crushed by Oregon, ok. But then they beat Oregon State, who moves up? Is beating OSU beating a winless in conference Cal that impressive? I know these polls can be wacky, but still, is anyone paying attention out there?


Oregon St moved up despite losing 40 pts in the voting. Others must have lost more. The possible loss of Jones may also have factored in however I doubt many of the voters were even aware of that.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54263



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/20/20 5:11 pm    ::: Re: Oregon State Reply Reply with quote

insidewinder wrote:
Why did Oregon State move up after losing at home? Stanford drops after getting crushed by Oregon, ok. But then they beat Oregon State, who moves up? Is beating OSU beating a winless in conference Cal that impressive? I know these polls can be wacky, but still, is anyone paying attention out there?


UCLA’s loss to USC was much worse than Ore St’s narrow loss to Stanford (who was and still is ranked higher). UCLA was lucky not to get punished more. So when UCLA dropped 3 spots, the 3 teams under UCLA moved up 1 spot. It’s the science of math. Losing to a higher ranked team doesn’t necessarily drop that team in the rankings, unless a large MOV calls for it.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 709
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/21/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so the coaches poll has Baylor #1 and SoCaro #2

what really caught my eye was at the bottom...where somebody voted for Stony Brook as the 25th best team in the country. Shocked


That's why the SID poll is a joke ...


If the Coaches Poll is a joke then so is the AP Poll. They are basically similar.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 10417



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/22/20 10:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:
so the coaches poll has Baylor #1 and SoCaro #2

what really caught my eye was at the bottom...where somebody voted for Stony Brook as the 25th best team in the country. Shocked


That's why the SID poll is a joke ...


If the Coaches Poll is a joke then so is the AP Poll. They are basically similar.


I'm not going to argue ... I don't think the AP writers spend that much time on it, and since AP has cut back its coverage of conference games, there's less direct knowledge of the game.

Then again, women's basketball is fairly stratified, so it's reasonably easy to put together a decent-looking ballot.



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54263



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/27/20 2:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ORST drops 3 to #10
MD up 3 to #17
ASU down 3 to #19
IND down 3 to #20
MOST rejoins at #24
ARK drops 4 to #25

WVU drops off Top 25



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
taropatch



Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 709
Location: Kau Rubbish Dump


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/27/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

ORST drops 3 to #10
MD up 3 to #17
ASU down 3 to #19
IND down 3 to #20
MOST rejoins at #24
ARK drops 4 to #25

WVU drops off Top 25


Evidently, someone in the other poll (writer's poll) thinks the Stony Brook Seawolves belongs in the top 30. The leader in America East at 19-1 they have not faced higher tier competition with their only loss to Arkansas. Didn't know they are part of the SUNY system.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/28/20 1:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so Gonzaga continues to climb even though they have beaten nobody in particular (best win Purdue). Shows the great inertia in voting. Beating nobodies is more important than losing to top teams.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4361



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/28/20 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
so Gonzaga continues to climb even though they have beaten nobody in particular (best win Purdue). Shows the great inertia in voting. Beating nobodies is more important than losing to top teams.


That's always the way. Once you get in the poll you only move down if you lose and move up as others above you lose. Look at DePaul, about to move into the top 10 as those above them lose. And Baylor, who has no ranked opponents in their remaining games.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54263



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/03/20 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Not a lot of movement in today’s poll.

AZ up 4 to #12
MD up 4 to #13

DEP down 3 to #14
FSU down 3 to #17

Nobody fell off and no new entries.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12896
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting notes on today's newest poll:

Kellie Harper's team from last year is now ranked above her current team. Shocked

NC State makes a sizeable jump to #4.

UCLA and Stanford swap places, more or less.



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/10/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

when you look at the 'others getting votes' you realize why they pretty much are left just re-arranging the chairs. I don't mean to harp on this because I hope the Zags do well, but they really should have dropped about another 8 places. They have no bad losses except this last one, but they also have no really good wins.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/16/20 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

those pollsters must be scratching their heads after this weekend!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 54263



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

STAN +4 to #4
LOU +4 to #5
MD +3 to #7
NCSU -6 to #10
KEN +4 to #14
ORST -4 to #15
FSU -3 to #17
IND -4 to #24
PRIN back on at #25

TEN drops off Top 25



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

STAN +4 to #4
LOU +4 to #5
MD +3 to #7
NCSU -6 to #10
KEN +4 to #14
ORST -4 to #15
FSU -3 to #17
IND -4 to #24
PRIN back on at #25

TEN drops off Top 25


No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 4072
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60794
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5712
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


No ACC team should be in the top 10 IMHO. VERY VERY down year for the league. Duke is 4th in the ACC. 'Nuff said. Only 3 ACC teams deserve to be in the NCAA tourney this year and 3 is being lenient.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 60794
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


No ACC team should be in the top 10 IMHO. VERY VERY down year for the league. Duke is 4th in the ACC. 'Nuff said. Only 3 ACC teams deserve to be in the NCAA tourney this year and 3 is being lenient.


No AAC team should be in the top 10. The conference sucks. Only the AAC champ should be in the tournament.



_________________
So where are the strong
And who are the trusted?
And where is the harmony?
Sweet harmony
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26598



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe we should just have a 32 team tourney since nobody deserves to be in it!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Rock Hard



Joined: 02 Aug 2010
Posts: 3656
Location: Chocolate Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/17/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't have the time or money to watch a lot of college basketball. The one thing that I would like to see is a South Carolina versus Baylor rematch. With a healthy Cox playing of course. Cool



_________________
Sky Nation! We are in this together!
umbeta1455



Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 1892
Location: Maine


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


No ACC team should be in the top 10 IMHO. VERY VERY down year for the league. Duke is 4th in the ACC. 'Nuff said. Only 3 ACC teams deserve to be in the NCAA tourney this year and 3 is being lenient.


No AAC team should be in the top 10. The conference sucks. Only the AAC champ should be in the tournament.


If UConn’s resume this season belonged to another team do you think that team would be ranked as high as UConn with the same seeding predictions?


SpaceJunkie



Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Posts: 4072
Location: Minnesota


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

umbeta1455 wrote:
If UConn’s resume this season belonged to another team do you think that team would be ranked as high as UConn with the same seeding predictions?


IMO UConn would probably be, as of right now, either the worst 2 seed or a 3 seed if they were any other team.


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12845
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


Baylor, that led UConn by 1 with 5mins left?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9493
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


Baylor, that led UConn by 1 with 5mins left?


Or Baylor that held UCONN to two points for damn near a whole quarter.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12896
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/18/20 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
pilight wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
myrtle wrote:
No no no. I don't want to be in the top 4. And we really don't deserve to be there!


The pollsters were so impressive by Stanford needing a major choke-job to beat Colorado and Louisville having just recently lost to Flordia State and Syrcause and beating the same team unranked Georgia Tech beat, they just had to have them both jump UConn.


UConn that didn't put South Florida away until the 4th quarter after continuing their theme of getting blown out by every good they play against South Carolina?


Baylor, that led UConn by 1 with 5mins left?


Or Baylor that held UCONN to two points for damn near a whole quarter.

Ummm....wasn't that South Carolina?



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin