RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Democratic Presidential Primary Candidates 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/12/20 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Bernie still can't win the south, which will prevent him from being the nominee outright.

I'm not sure who you think is going to win in the south. African Americans despise Bloomberg and don't much like Buttigieg. Warren's finished and Biden's campaign is crashing. Unless you think Klobuchar plays in Dixie it's going to be Sanders by default.

Don’t waste your time. Razz

PostPosted: 02/12/20 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Are you sure about Sanders?

It feels like there are some powerful forces (Democratic elites and some of the media) that will work hard to prevent him from being the nominee.

That’s all true. And Sanders will be the nominee which shows you his talents and reach are more than the sum total of what the party and the media let on.

PostPosted: 02/12/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
the best way to tell the two parties apart is to get their position on Global Warming.

Abortion. We have two military-industrial parties, one pro-choice and one pro-life.

D’oh. How did I forget that one. And guns. And maybe giving homage to Christianity/God. Ditto for the military and “flag waving” stuff. I think it was Noam Chomsky who said that in the 1960s the Republican leadership embraced certain social issues in order to broaden their appeal. It is puzzling to me how it works though as to me there is no relationship between, for example, your opinion on abortion and your opinion on government size and public assistance or tax rates. Or your opinion on religion or guns and your opinion on government funded healthcare.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/13/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:
tfan wrote:
the best way to tell the two parties apart is to get their position on Global Warming.

Abortion. We have two military-industrial parties, one pro-choice and one pro-life.

D’oh. How did I forget that one. And guns. And maybe giving homage to Christianity/God. Ditto for the military and “flag waving” stuff. I think it was Noam Chomsky who said that in the 1960s the Republican leadership embraced certain social issues in order to broaden their appeal. It is puzzling to me how it works though as to me there is no relationship between, for example, your opinion on abortion and your opinion on government size and public assistance or tax rates. Or your opinion on religion or guns and your opinion on government funded healthcare.

I could write that it’s as if someone chose those positions for them. Maybe even by pulling them out of a hat.

But that’s not it at all. The thing that aligns these positions on what appears on the surface to be unrelated issues is that they are, very naturally and organically, held by the people who hold them. They’re all explainable as they matter to the individuals who make up these giant swaths of the populace. All it then takes is one of the parties to align themselves sympathetically and cynically to the groups through their issue loyalty. But—and I think I’ve had to argue this here before—for the voters, these issues all really do matter.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="630" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H9EPgPD5pec" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so more hillary supporters didn't vote for obama than bernie supporters didn't vote for hillary.

take that, bernie bro bashers. Cool

PostPosted: 02/14/20 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Biden's dropped nine points in South Carolina in the past week. At this rate he'll be fighting for fourth, with a fair chance of coming sixth, by the time of the primary. He's already lost the lead in Nevada. Super Tuesday ain't gonna save him, even if he makes it that far.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tom Steyer has been running a ton of commercials in the SF Bay Area. He recently started running one that showed him in second place in a South Carolina poll. Shocking to hear given how low he has been in the national polls. But Bloomberg is still getting the biggest bang for his buck nationally and seems to have the Democratic elite moving towards him.

2020 is starting to look like two very rich guys who used their money to get a presidential nomination fighting it out. Someday we could have a President Bezos.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 02/14/20 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After years of bludgering candidates with "Medicare For ALL" or "you are a corporate shrill" Sanders and supporters are walking back from the stance.

Any thoughts from the bros? Or is this totally reasonable somehow, but all other candidates are corporate whores?

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
After years of bludgering candidates with "Medicare For ALL" or "you are a corporate shrill" Sanders and supporters are walking back from the stance.

Any thoughts from the bros? Or is this totally reasonable somehow, but all other candidates are corporate whores?

Sanders knows he can't stick to his old policies to beat Trump. He's got to change his plan and hope he gets other democrats behind him.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

Sanders knows he can't stick to his old policies to beat Trump. He's got to change his plan and hope he gets other democrats behind him.

I think he's starting to adjust to the belief that he's going to be the nominee and he's now starting to run against Trump.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

His website still says Medicare for All. Where and when has he walked it back?

https://berniesanders.com/issues/medicare-for-all/

The corporate media and DNC leadership and donors still seem against him, which is a good sign he is staying progressive.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The latest Washington Post poll has Sanders beating Trump by a wider margin than any other Democrat

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/washington-post-abc-news-poll-feb-14-17-2020/99074fb9-691e-4399-af1e-e6534d53a9d8/

PostPosted: 02/19/20 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bloomberg seems pretty shaky on the debate stage.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width=512 height=330 src='https://www.c-span.org/video/standalone/?c4850139/user-clip-bloomberg-supports-george-bush' allowfullscreen='allowfullscreen' frameborder=0></iframe>

pilight

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Bloomberg seems pretty shaky on the debate stage.

That's one word for it. He just got beat up from every side, especially Warren's.

PostPosted: 02/19/20 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QD4csGWPo6o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/QD4csGWPo6o

PostPosted: 02/20/20 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pete is interesting. And I think the best political strategist remaining in the field. His debate performance was better than Warren's, IMO. Pete went after who he needed to go after to help himself.

He's not without some serious problems. But there is no denying that Pete is the type of candidate Democrats usually win with. Young. Charismatic. And an ability to bring in a different set of voters.

Although I am appreciative of Warren's Bloomberg takedown. She just helped Biden, Bernie and Pete.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/20/20 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:

I'm not a bernie bro but i think you consider me one. I may be wrong, tho. Do you? It doesn't matter, just wondering.

Anyway, i don't care what either one does/says, as long as either Sanders or Warren (preferably both) are on the ticket in Nov.

I didn't watch the debate. I'm basically done with the process. Get me to November so we can vote the piece of shit out.

PostPosted: 02/20/20 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I'm not a bernie bro but i think you consider me one. I may be wrong, tho. Do you? It doesn't matter, just wondering.

Anyway, i don't care what either one does/says, as long as either Sanders or Warren (preferably both) are on the ticket in Nov.

I didn't watch the debate. I'm basically done with the process. Get me to November so we can vote the piece of shit out.

Nah.

The people I consider Bros are those that support Bernie the way that Donald supporters support Donald. (And harassed Clinton supporters into private support groups, and harass pretty much everyone with a slight criticism of Bern. - They are on an entirely different level than supporters of all other candidates.) He has a distinct group of supporters that would defend him against anything.

I have a lot of issues with Sanders politically and personally. I find Warren to be problematic as well. But they both have the distinct trait of not being Donald Trump, so...

Re the debate: it was hysterical. Probably the most I've enjoyed a debate this cycle..but for the same reasons I enjoy Taurasi's temper tantrums with the refs. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know I'm late to the party but I didn't watch this live. But I did catch the highlights. I do enjoy watching people get skunked in these debates, and Mini Mike got schooled by Elizabeth Warren. I haven't seen a verbal beatdown like that since Dick Cheney debated John Edwards Laughing

Genero36

PostPosted: 02/20/20 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NAf5k_fKW78" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAf5k_fKW78

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hadn't watched the debates recently because the endlessly repeated memorized lines of the characters are soporific, but I tuned in this time to see how Nanny Mike would do.

It reminded me of feeding time in the monkey house at the Staten Island zoo when I was a kid: a bunch of anthropoids gesturing frantically and screeching over each other to gain attention.

Lizzie did do a heckuva cross-examination and beat-down of Unmagnetic Mike. Bernie told us another 37 times that health care is human right, which always makes me wonder what his freebie or commie position is on housing and food. Mayor Pete recited his canned lines with more convincing condescension than anyone else. It was entertaining, though not as heart-rousing as the WWII vet carried into the concomitant Trump rally to thundering chants of "USA".

I agree with MSNBC's Lawrence O'Donnell that the medical plans of Sanders, Buttigieg and others are pure fantasy because, as he says, not one sentence of them has a chance of being enacted by a Senate that has less than 60 Democrats. He also wondered why there were zero questions in a gigantically important area that is, on the other hand, totally within the control of a president -- foreign policy -- in order to tease out practical differences among the anthropoids.
justintyme

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think I'd have hated to have been that student called upon by Professor Warren to discuss the day's reading when the night before my friends had convinced me to go out instead.

"Bah. What's the worst that can happen?"

PostPosted: 02/20/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Bernie told us another 37 times that health care is human right, which always makes me wonder what his freebie or commie position is on housing and food.

That they are human rights as well?

Not sure why these are mutually exclusive? Seems all are pretty essential for life in the modern world.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 32 of 43

Jump to: