Start of Free Agency for 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@ESPN_WomenHoop

The @DallasWings have acquired forward Katie Lou Samuelson from the @wnbachicagosky and Chicago’s 2021 first-round draft pick in exchange for forward Azura Stevens, the Wings announced Friday.

Shocked

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@ESPN_WomenHoop

The @DallasWings have acquired forward Katie Lou Samuelson from the @wnbachicagosky and Chicago’s 2021 first-round draft pick in exchange for forward Azura Stevens, the Wings announced Friday.

Shocked

Just when we thought two Oguwmikes on the same team was scary, we now have TWO SAMUELSONS ON THE SAME TEAM!

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rejoice, Mother Jones! Your most ‘talented-est’ daughter has now left her d r e a d f u l circumstance under that horrible monster of a coach, Mr. James Get-Out-Of-My-Child’s-Wa[y]de, and, behold!, has joined the exact same team as... your second-most ‘talented-est’ daughter! Rejoice! Praise thee! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Samuelson’s mom wanted out of Chicago, Stevens wanted out of Dallas like it was long ago rumored, and Dallas almost got fair value (*probably not though!).

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/14/20 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@ESPN_WomenHoop

Shocked

Just when we thought two Oguwmikes on the same team was scary, we now have TWO SAMUELSONS ON THE SAME TEAM!

Do you think the less famous one will actually make the team? There’s only 12 roster spots and they have 14 players already signed plus a bunch of draft picks. Maybe neither will make the team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Samuelson’s mom wanted out of Chicago, Stevens wanted out of Dallas like it was long ago rumored, and Dallas almost got fair value (possibly not though!).

Ironic, because a good amount of people thought the Sky were idiots for not taking Stevens before Williams. And now they’re on the same team.

And Samuelson was literally doing promo for the Sky yesterday. Laughing

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And I’m not even sure Samuelson is going to get consistent time in Dallas:

Ogunbowale/Gray/Hill
Thornton/Davis

*put Hill and Davis in bold due to being somewhat interchangeable position wise.

Not even including their draft picks.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Reeve and the Lynx should go after January asap PHX can’t afford to pay what they can with BGs status waiting to be heard.

What do we do as insurance for Moriah?

What is Dallas going to do with all those draft picks?

Draft Dangerfield

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
justintyme wrote:

And yes, I liked the DRob deal. I still like it. It was the correct move at the time and the costs were reasonable.

It cost them the ability to keep Howard, so if that’s considered reasonable, I’m not sure what else to say.

justintyme wrote:
It didn't work out as well as we could have wanted, but outcome based thinking is a fallacy for a reason.

It wasn’t outcome based for me. I was dead set against any move that would prevent Howard from returning to the team. Add to that, I’ve never been high on DRob. I’ve always pointed out that she never makes threes, and there was little reason to expect that would suddenly change.

It was Reeve back then being way to stubborn about vets—she didn't think she needed anybody behind Brunson/Fowles because Brunson is going to be ageless and play huge minutes forever. If she valued Howard or actually knew/cared that she was a superstar, she would've re-signed her right away and found minutes for her (like how the Aces magically could find minutes for Hamby).
If Renee Montgomery re-signed for the Lynx, Reeve still would've traded Howard instead of keep her. Lynx could've kept Howard and have any highly-paid PG behind Whalen Reeve wanted if, Reeve, to continue with her vet obsession, wasn't dead-set on signing Tanisha Wright at whatever cost, instead of being fine if had to be "forced" to play young players Zandalasini, Alexis Jones, or find anybody cheap, behind Augustus/Moore.

Shades wrote:
Jasmine Thomas is the PG. She should have at least a couple good years left in her. She keeps in great shape. If Miller decides to put her on the trade block this preseason, I’m definitely interested. I’m not sure at what price though. I really don’t want to give up that #6 pick.

I read rumors on the Facebooks and Tweeters that Jasmine Thomas didn't like Lexie Brown which is probably why the Sun were so eager to trade her. Lexie Brown can't be a PG?

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It wasn’t outcome based for me. I was dead set against any move that would prevent Howard from returning to the team. Add to that, I’ve never been high on DRob. I’ve always pointed out that she never makes threes, and there was little reason to expect that would suddenly change.

Yes, Shades, and credit to you for being so high on Howard and so low on DRob. You saw something in them that most did not (well, most were well aware of DRob's limitations).

But the fact remains that just about no one foresaw Howard becoming as great of a player as she has become and the Lynx were desperate for PG help at the time. And with Maya on the team having a 3pt threat at PG was not as essential as she was the ultimate floor spacer. So her limitations were not as glaring.

The team's makeup is much different now which is why I pointed out that January fits the teams' needs better than DRob ended up fitting them on a Maya-less team. That has nothing to do with outcome based thinking.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie didn't look very comfortable last year running an offense. She was a capable enough ball handler, but wasn't super quick on the reads, nor is she a high level passer. But the biggest issue is that it neutralizes her biggest strength, which is catch-and-shoot. She was much, much worse shooting off the dribble and wasn't great at creating her own shot.

She is ideally played off the ball, imo.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
BTW - I may be wrong, but I think Johnson is the first Dream player to have children.

Nikki Teasley's daughter was about a year old when Teasley played for Atlanta

Stacey Lovelace's daughter was about five when Lovelace played for Atlanta

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
But the fact remains that just about no one foresaw Howard becoming as great of a player as she has become and the Lynx were desperate for PG help at the time. And with Maya on the team having a 3pt threat at PG was not as essential as she was the ultimate floor spacer. So her limitations were not as glaring.

Howard had big games in 2016. Jim Petersen after Howard torched Team USA as part of the Select Team tweeted to a Lynx fan "Natasha has as much ability as ANY player in the WNBA in my estimation. She showed you a glimpse tonight." and after having a big game in Game 3 vs Phoenix "...Tashi is just an incredible player and person. It's her time to shine!".
Then Petersen left the Lynx job and Reeve had (but at least useful) vet Plenette Pierson signed, a nd gave her most of Howard's minutes the following year, which made people forgot that Howard was a budding star since Lynx managed to still win title while barely player her.

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
justintyme wrote:

Howard had big games in 2016. Jim Petersen after Howard torched Team USA as part of the Select Team tweeted to a Lynx fan "Natasha has as much ability as ANY player in the WNBA in my estimation. She showed you a glimpse tonight." and after having a big game in Game 3 vs Phoenix "...Tashi is just an incredible player and person. It's her time to shine!".
Then Petersen left the Lynx job and Reeve had (but at least useful) vet Plenette Pierson signed, a nd gave her most of Howard's minutes the following year, which made people forgot that Howard was a budding star since Lynx managed to still win title while barely player her.

Yes. I don't think anyone would disagree that there were some major breakdowns/failures along the way that ended up blowing it on Howard. Reeve has referred to it has her biggest mistake as a GM by a wide margin and said they straight up blew it.

My issue is that those mistakes were deeper than the signing of DRob. Those mistakes led to them working with poor information when they made their decisions. But the decision itself to sign DRob, was, imo, a good one at the time based upon team need and situation. It was other choices that were suspect, not to mention the franchise altering decision of Maya to leave basketball in her prime shifting the team's needs after the decision was made.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Rejoice, Mother Jones! Your most ‘talented-est’ daughter has now left her d r e a d f u l circumstance under that horrible monster of a coach, Mr. James Get-Out-Of-My-Child’s-Wa[y]de, and, behold!, has joined the exact same team as... your second-most ‘talented-est’ daughter! Rejoice! Praise thee! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Samuelson’s mom wanted out of Chicago, Stevens wanted out of Dallas like it was long ago rumored, and Dallas almost got fair value (*probably not though!).

What' going to happen when Kaela Davis' mom and Mother Jones get into it over who should be playing the most minutes???? Could be fireworks - stock up on popcorn. Razz

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@madkenney

Just talked to Katie Lou Samuelson. She was shocked by the trade, last she heard she was staying. She hasn’t even really had time to process it. She found out on the way to #HerTimeToPlay clinic.

Quote:
@madkenney

Wade said eight teams expressed interest in Samuelson this offseason.

Quote:
@madkenney

James Wade hasn't talked to Katie Lou Samuelson yet since trading her to the Wings.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OUchhhh Coach wade with no remorse.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wade had every intention of trading. Still boggles my mind that Samuelson was taken over Collier.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

.com still with only Monday's transactions listed. Crying or Very sad Rolling Eyes Biggest free agency offseason ever, and the unpaid intern is still updating the transactions list.

https://www.wnba.com/transactions/

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

What' going to happen when Kaela Davis' mom and Mother Jones get into it over who should be playing the most minutes???? Could be fireworks - stock up on popcorn. Razz

This type of content gets me almost as hyped for the season to start as the free agent frenzy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

This type of content gets me almost as hyped for the season to start as the free agent frenzy

Lmao but that's if Davis is even still on the team at that point!

Randy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Lmao but that's if Davis is even still on the team at that point!

It could be the Battle of all Mothers.....

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/15/20 1:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2020/2/14/21136562/wnba-2020-free-agency-change-league-new-cba

Quote:
The cap will go up by just $39,000 in 2021 and $40,200 the year after. The one-year cap jump of $304,000 is more than the totality of the raises that’ll take place over the seven years after that.

This was a pretty good, pretty accurate recap from SBNation (but not from Swish Appeal Exclamation ) of this week's intense action as well as a quick primer on how the immediately-increased salary cap could make things wonky for teams and the league overall in the next couple years.

Quote:
The defending champion Washington Mystics chose to undercut 33-year-old point guard Kristi Toliver in negotiations, so she chose to leave...

I got a chuckle out of some of the author's descriptions of how things went down Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/15/20 6:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
https://www.sbnation.com/wnba/2020/2/14/21136562/wnba-2020-free-agency-change-league-new-cba

Quote:
The cap will go up by just $39,000 in 2021 and $40,200 the year after. The one-year cap jump of $304,000 is more than the totality of the raises that’ll take place over the seven years after that.

This was a pretty good, pretty accurate recap from SBNation (but not from Swish Appeal Exclamation ) of this week's intense action as well as a quick primer on how the immediately-increased salary cap could make things wonky for teams and the league overall in the next couple years.

Quote:
The defending champion Washington Mystics chose to undercut 33-year-old point guard Kristi Toliver in negotiations, so she chose to leave...

I got a chuckle out of some of the author's descriptions of how things went down Laughing

Tbh in this toliver situation do you feel the truth or an exaggerated? I for one believe those words are spot on. #TakeAPayCut for a team you’ve only been apart of 3 seasons and won a 2nd title with ? Ehh nahhh

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad KT got her money and that’s what counts at the end of the day.

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/15/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Damn Randy, beat me to it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 17 of 25

Jump to: