The Sparks number interests me, since they have not re-signed Chelsea Gray

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/13/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

Same thing I said. Somebody’s gotta go.

PostPosted: 02/13/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One more time, Shades: Sabrina Ionescu told me, while sitting at a table in Bondadoso, a coffee shop in Walnut Creek CA, that she didn't like school.

And how do you know Galligan didn't do research to get that info? Did you ask her?

PostPosted: 02/13/20 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I asked on Twitter, and apparently her $115k from last year is included in the figure as a "cap hold". So they can sign her as long as they don't sign anyone else.

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/13/20 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
pilight wrote:
mavcarter wrote:

I asked on Twitter, and apparently her $115k from last year is included in the figure as a "cap hold". So they can sign her as long as they don't sign anyone else.

Ahhh ok, makes sense. Man that cap is tightttttt.

PostPosted: 02/13/20 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE

Remaining list.

CORE PLAYERS
Tina Charles (NYL)
Brittney Griner (PHX)

RESERVED PLAYERS
Lindsay Allen (LVA)
Bridget Carleton (MIN)
Alaina Coates (ATL)
Anna Cruz (MIN)
Temi Fagbenle (MIN)
Reshanda Gray (NYL)
Marine Johannes (NYL)
Sonja Petrovic (PHX)
Nayo Raincock-Ekunwe (NYL)
Angel Robinson (PHX)
Marianna Tolo (LAS)
Yvonne Turner (PHX)
Marta Xargay (PHX)
Cecilia Zandalasini (MIN)

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Rachel Banham (CON)
Liz Cambage (LVA)
Jamierra Faulkner (CHI)
Chelsea Gray (LAS)
Bria Holmes (CON)
Betnijah Laney (IND)
Courtney Williams (CON)

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
Kayla Alexander
Seimone Augustus
Alex Bentley
Sue Bird
Essence Carson
Ana Dabovic
Blake Dietrick
Brooke McCarty-Williams
Emma Meesseman
Kim Mestdagh
Epiphanny Prince
Danielle Robinson
Sugar Rodgers
Shekinna Stricklen
Carolyn Swords
Tamera Young
Shavonte Zellous

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/13/20 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It sure ain't an inspiring UFA list now. Stricklen's probably the biggest out of that group that's least likely to return to the same team. Over half those names really shouldn't make/be on a team in 2020.

Interesting how some teams (New York, Minny, Vegas) haven't really re-signed anyone yet despite having quite a few names on those lists. There's obviously more stuff happening behind the scenes, but what...?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/13/20 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The list makes sense reserved players basically have to wait for other pieces to fall before their teams sign them or make a move

Bench role playing vets have to wait for the big names get signed and then see how much someone is willing to pay for them and what team has a role for them

The Rodgers TY Prince and Swords will end up somewhere

What happen with Charles C. Gray and the rumors about Griner if she doesn't sign soon is more interesting

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/13/20 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
@HowardMegdal

Can report details on @Breezyyy14's new deal with Phoenix: Three years, 185k/190500/196000, full protection. Our updated #WNBA free agency tracker with cap sheets is here! (We'll have Hartley in there shortly) #WNBAFreeAgencY

Got to be kidding me. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/13/20 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@HowardMegdal

Can report details on @Breezyyy14's new deal with Phoenix: Three years, 185k/190500/196000, full protection. Our updated #WNBA free agency tracker with cap sheets is here! (We'll have Hartley in there shortly) #WNBAFreeAgencY

Bria Hartely is statiscally a better WNBA player than Maya Moore ever was based on maximum salary ever earned. Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 02/13/20 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That is shocking. She cleaned up on FA. (Or Megdal is wrong....has that ever happened?)

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/13/20 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Quote:
@HowardMegdal

And the Golden Globe goes toooooooooooo...... Bria Hartley of the Phoenix Foolery!!

I hope they’re not thinking she would be the predecessor to DT once she retires?? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 02/13/20 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve and the Lynx should go after January asap PHX can’t afford to pay what they can with BGs status waiting to be heard.

PostPosted: 02/13/20 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
mavcarter wrote:
Anyways, back to basketball.

Quote:
@madkenney

The Sky have signed free agent Sydney Colson, a league source told the Sun-Times. She'll likely be Courtney Vandersloot's backup for next season.

Biggest acquisition for the Sky this off-season. Laughing

The Sky officially won the off-season by acquiring the Face of the Aces/Face of the WNBA without having to trade any picks!

Nobody wants to see a Sloot/Colson backcourt. 8th seed, here we come! Cool

Has Faulkner left the Sky?

Davis4632

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
That is shocking. She cleaned up on FA. (Or Megdal is wrong....has that ever happened?)

I wonder is that new standard contracts for vets. In the old CBA, all vets made the max contract and it didn't make a difference if they were a star or not.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Has Faulkner left the Sky?

Officially, no. Have a hard time seeing her return, though.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
Randy wrote:

I wonder is that new standard contracts for vets. In the old CBA, all vets made the max contract and it didn't make a difference if they were a star or not.

The new system pretty directly makes that non-standard. I was discussing this yesterday in hypothetical terms for Connecticut, where next year they could've been looking at 5 maxed vets as their starters. You basically can't do that any more. 5 maxes hits around 1,000,000 (exact total depending on the types of max), which leaves 300k for at least 6 players. A minimum of 57k means that doesn't fit.

So unlike the past, you can't just max out every non-rookie scale player who comes along. Hartley, for some reason, got paid.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks to me the NEW CBA in the long run will hurt the Veteran player, teams will probably be able to max 3 players on a roster with the remaining portion of the roster consisting of younger cheaper players. The salary cap doesn't seem large enough.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Reeve and the Lynx should go after January asap PHX can’t afford to pay what they can with BGs status waiting to be heard.

There should be better players available than her in the fallout. As I was stating a couple days ago, I’m hoping for Jasmine Thomas or Courtney Williams.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
DFWub2018

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

What do we do as insurance for Moriah?

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

There should be better players available than her in the fallout. As I was stating a couple days ago, I’m hoping for Jasmine Thomas or Courtney Williams.

It really depends on just how available Williams really is. Are those rumors true or not

January is an interesting option to me, and if Phoenix is set on Charles the Lynx might be able to get her for cheap by joining into a 3 player trade and supplementing whatever Phoenix is offering (assuming NY might be more interested in young players/assets than and older vet).

Williams (or Thomas) would definitely be the more desirable option, but are they actually available and if they are what will they cost? If the rumors around Williams are true then there might be some motivation on both sides to make a deal and make the price not extravagant, but if not they might well be out of the Lynx's price range asset wise.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DFWub2018 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

What do we do as insurance for Moriah?

What is Dallas going to do with all those draft picks?

Last edited by Shades on 02/14/20 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Shades wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

It really depends on just how available Williams really is. Are those rumors true or not

I wasn’t going by any rumors. I was doing the math myself, and the math says either Miller wants Williams to sign for cheaper than what she’s worth for multiple years, OR sign a max one year deal, so Miller can keep his options open on the Thomases.

justintyme wrote:
January is an interesting option to me, and if Phoenix is set on Charles the Lynx might be able to get her for cheap by joining into a 3 player trade and supplementing whatever Phoenix is offering (assuming NY might be more interested in young players/assets than and older vet).

No, it reminds me too much of the franchise-changing DRob deal. By the way, weren’t you very high on that deal? PHX actually dumped DRob on a sucker so they could acquire January. Dealing with PHX again for another PG seems like another sucker deal waiting to happen. January was talking about retirement when she played for Indiana. I think the reason she went to PHX was to retire there. She has heavy AZ ties. Anybody that trades for January needs to be cautious of retirement desires.

justintyme wrote:
Williams (or Thomas) would definitely be the more desirable option, but are they actually available and if they are what will they cost? If the rumors around Williams are true then there might be some motivation on both sides to make a deal and make the price not extravagant, but if not they might well be out of the Lynx's price range asset wise.

That’s why we wait and see. And the longer teams wait, the more desperate the selling team gets to make a deal. Remember the great deals the Lynx got last year?

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Obviously any deal for January would be predicated upon her actually wanting to play for the team. If not, then it's a non-starter.

And yes, I liked the DRob deal. I still like it. It was the correct move at the time and the costs were reasonable. It didn't work out as well as we could have wanted, but outcome based thinking is a fallacy for a reason.

January, however, would fit the teams needs much better than DRob ever did. A plus defender with a good 3 point shot to space the floor for Syl, and a solid ball handler who can be trusted to make solid decisions. Yes, I would not sell the farm for her, but at a reasonable price that would allow the Lynx to still draft a young PG of the future like Dangerfield or Harris in the naext draft? I would not be opposed.

For Williams, I think it reasonable to designate *her* as your PG of the future and sacrifice potentially getting Dangerfield or Harris.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:

And yes, I liked the DRob deal. I still like it. It was the correct move at the time and the costs were reasonable.

It cost them the ability to keep Howard, so if that’s considered reasonable, I’m not sure what else to say.

justintyme wrote:
It didn't work out as well as we could have wanted, but outcome based thinking is a fallacy for a reason.

It wasn’t outcome based for me. I was dead set against any move that would prevent Howard from returning to the team. Add to that, I’ve never been high on DRob. I’ve always pointed out that she never makes threes, and there was little reason to expect that would suddenly change.

justintyme wrote:
January, however, would fit the teams needs much better than DRob ever did. A plus defender with a good 3 point shot to space the floor for Syl, and a solid ball handler who can be trusted to make solid decisions.

This must be outcome based thinking because you weren’t talking like this when the Lynx traded for DRob. Where was this clear thinking back then? DRob has always been DRob, and she stayed DRob (other than actually making a few threes) while she was with the Lynx. No surprise there.

justintyme wrote:
Yes, I would not sell the farm for her, but at a reasonable price that would allow the Lynx to still draft a young PG of the future like Dangerfield or Harris in the naext draft? I would not be opposed.

Harris? How did she get on your radar? You must watch as much women’s college basketball as I do.

justintyme wrote:
For Williams, I think it reasonable to designate *her* as your PG of the future and sacrifice potentially getting Dangerfield or Harris.

Courtney Williams is a SG, and it doesn’t exactly sound like you’re interested in her.

Jasmine Thomas is the PG. She should have at least a couple good years left in her. She keeps in great shape. If Miller decides to put her on the trade block this preseason, I’m definitely interested. I’m not sure at what price though. I really don’t want to give up that #6 pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 16 of 25

Jump to: