RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 02/13/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brinx wrote:
Bria Hartley to PHX is official per the teams Instagram.

Hartley's getting the max with Phoenix. Why would they overpay for her and let Leilani Mitchell walk?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
canadaball

PostPosted: 02/13/20 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phx probably had very limited choices, but in an upcoming season that features 3 very strong front lines (including backups) in LV, Sea, and LA, the Mercury will go to war with Griner, Brianna Turner, and prayers....Good Luck...Here is a guess: LA has zero need for Gulich, and Phx takes her back in their desperation for anyone with any size.

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gl with Hartley. Occasionally she plays well.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 1:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For what it's worth, as illustrated here - https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1228202604485726208?s=20 - Charles still fits mathematically as long as January goes away either in that trade or a separate one. Just means going with 11, and the remaining three players would have to be cheap.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

here is a kind of fun sneaky move for PX

rights to Xargay and 2nd round pick for rights to Magbegor

Xargay is probably better then what Seattle will get at 11 and KML even if she shows for half a season and seh'll probably up for hanging out in Seattle after the Olympics

Magbegor shows for Brondello and is a cheap contract with loads of potential and Aussie connection

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/14/20 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

then follow that up with

3 team trade
January to Minn
Charles to PX
B. Turner, #6 and 2021 1st round pick to NY

PX
SDS/
Hartley/
DT/Cunningham
Charles/Smith
Griner/Magbegor

Pick 10 go PG Dangefield, Cooper or Harris or go wing/post Pivec, Holmes, Allarie, Hebard or Gillespie

Pick 17 get lucky Martin, Laska, Higgs, Landrum, Odum, Min. Moore

+1 waiver wire/camp invite

other cheap PGs floating around
A. Carter
BMW
Cuevas-Moore

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 3:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even in a weak draft, Minnesota aren't giving up the #6 straight up for a 33-year old Briann January.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK fine, I am just trying to make this happen for PX because without Charles what was the point, even with Charles they'll be running up hill

If I was them I would have just signed Bonner, Mitchell, Y. Turner added #5

play small ball

and try to bring in one or two well placed not too expensive free agent, maybe Hartley but for a little less?

Mitchell/Hartley
Januray/Y. Turner/pick 17 or 18
DT/Cunningham
Bonner/Smith/#5 (Holmes, Hebard, Allarie, Mompremier)
Griner/Turner

Michelle89

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
OK fine, I am just trying to make this happen for PX because without Charles what was the point, even with Charles they'll be running up hill

If I was them I would have just signed Bonner, Mitchell, Y. Turner added #5

play small ball

and try to bring in one or two well placed not too expensive free agent, maybe Hartley but for a little less?

Mitchell/Hartley
Januray/Y. Turner/pick 17 or 18
DT/Cunningham
Bonner/Smith/#5 (Holmes, Hebard, Allarie, Mompremier)
Griner/Turner

Sounded like Bonner didnt want to stay though

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner was an unrestricted free agent who walked by choice, which pretty much put paid to that scenario. They're trying to make the best of the options they have left. With Mitchell vs Hartley I don't know what happened. Mitchell certainly seemed happy to be there last year, judging from the way she went along with that whole "waived then re-signed for slightly less" scenario. If it was purely the team's choice then I disagree with it, but I guess it's not completely impossible that they'd prefer the taller player who's seven years younger.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 6:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know that about Bonner

I kind of thought the opposite like they didn't want to pay her the max because they wanted to go in a different direction,

I guess getting her the extra 30k and getting assets in return worked out for both of them,

canadaball

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is hard to figure out how Hartley commanded such a large 3 year guaranteed contract. Who was bidding against Phx for a journeywoman player? The only possible team I can see is Minny. One can speculate that the Mercury have shaky confidence about the trajectory of DT's career, and where does Yvonne Turner (plays for 120k less than Hartley) figure in all of this? In addition to the shaky front court I mentioned above, the Mercury have huge questions at the 3. I realize that timing is everything, but seems to me a player like Tuck (signed with Sea at $70k less than Hartley) would have really helped fill a roster need.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy for Bria and her son Bryson!
But wow I was thinking $105,000 range lol

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeffmetcalfe/status/1228330598650875905

Quote:

jeffmetcalfe
@jeffmetcalfe
Replying to
@jeffmetcalfe
and
@azcentral
More #Mercury news coming today #wnbafreeagency
6:50 AM · Feb 14, 2020·Twitter Web App

I’m nervous Razz

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
It is hard to figure out how Hartley commanded such a large 3 year guaranteed contract. Who was bidding against Phx for a journeywoman player? The only possible team I can see is Minny. One can speculate that the Mercury have shaky confidence about the trajectory of DT's career, and where does Yvonne Turner (plays for 120k less than Hartley) figure in all of this? In addition to the shaky front court I mentioned above, the Mercury have huge questions at the 3. I realize that timing is everything, but seems to me a player like Tuck (signed with Sea at $70k less than Hartley) would have really helped fill a roster need.

Wouldn't that have been nice Laughing And here I thought we overpaid for Tuck (grass is always greener, of course). We'll still take a second-rounder for KML and/or Langhorne though! And I can honestly see either one being more useful in Phoenix than here.

Yeah, people seem to be forgetting how Yvonne Turner factors into this - although I just looked at her stats and she's at least shot worse than I remembered. After three years, I wouldn't call her a lock for this roster, but I doubt she gets cut purely because of lack of bodies, as things stand now.

Someone check in on Luuuc to see how he's doing after his team signed Bria Hartley to a max-er.

Last edited by Stormeo on 02/14/20 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In every free agency period in every league, players get overpaid. In the WNBA the max salaries had been too low compared to the salary cap for it to matter. We'll see if the new scenario makes that change.

The "exchange" of Mitchell for Hartley could be about age. Moving on from Bonner, getting Diggins-Smith are moves that make the core of the team Griner's contemporaries. This seems to me like a team that is moving on from its old guard.

bluedevilaztecfan5

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/4757525002?__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
The Mercury re-signed Griner on Friday to a multi-year contract that will pay her a super max salary under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement between the WNBA and its players.

Oh that’s the news.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bluedevilaztecfan5 wrote:
https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/4757525002?__twitter_impression=true

Quote:
The Mercury re-signed Griner on Friday to a multi-year contract that will pay her a super max salary under terms of the new collective bargaining agreement between the WNBA and its players.

Oh that’s the news.

Charles is definitely out of the picture for PHX unless Griner is part of the trade. Paying $185K for Hartley, a player most Liberty fans wanted to go away, seems a little insane. I think they got sucked in by her recent performance against Australia.

You would think they’d rather just keep Mitchell. Washington only paid her $127K.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

they definitely overpaid for Hartley. And she probably won't even be a starter for them unless they have injuries.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
they definitely overpaid for Hartley. And she probably won't even be a starter for them unless they have injuries.

Of course, that's one way Phoenix's cap situation would become less complicated - if Taurasi's injury issues mean she's not playing in 2020. But seems unlikely in an Olympic year.

As I said before/elsewhere, if January exits, they still have room for Charles even after adding Diggins-Smith, signing Griner and hideously overpaying Hartley. But barely. That said, especially if she wants to be there, she doesn't have to sign for the whole 215k...

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Question....is DT being stuck with 119k yet Hartley is making 185? How on earth does that happen?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballnut901 wrote:
Question....is DT being stuck with 119k yet Hartley is making 185? How on earth does that happen?

Yes, and because Taurasi signed under the old CBA.

Of course, Taurasi's wife is also employed by the organisation, and her salary doesn't fall under the salary cap...

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

The amount they paid her shows they plan on using her as a starter.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/14/20 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

There's no rule that says a "max" player has to be a starters vs. top bench-player, though as of now, who is starting besides the "Big 3"?

Shades

PostPosted: 02/14/20 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

There's no rule that says a "max" player has to be a starters vs. top bench-player, though as of now, who is starting besides the "Big 3"?

These aren’t the old days of 6 or 7 players at max. If you’re paying a player multiple years at max in the new CBA, it shows your intent. Of course, this is crazy Phoenix we’re talking about. Head-scratching payouts are the norm for them.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/14/20 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The amount we paid her shows we plan on her suddenly transforming into an all-star

Evil or Very Mad

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 6 of 13

Jump to: