RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Phoenix is able to pull this bullshit off then you might as well cancel the Eastern Conference. Literally every Western team is going to get a playoff berth. Laughing

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I realize this is crazy but this is what I have come up with

PX gets Diggins-Smith and Charles
Dallas get Griner and #7
NY gets Stebens and #2 (Cox or Sabally)

PX still has picks 5 and 10 to add to a core of Taurasi, SDS, Cahrels, Mitchell, January Turner, Turner, Cuningham and Smith and tries to contend in 2020 Taurasi's last season

Dallas gets a new centerpiece to joing Ogunbowale, Jefferson, Gray, Thorton, N'Dour, IMS and pick #7 (Clearly GloJo moves on)

NY goes full rebuild with Ionescu as the top dog and a young core of Johannes, Han Xu, Durr, Nurse, Stevens and Cox or Sallaby

Last edited by J-Spoon on 02/11/20 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Randy

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I figure if this happens it will be two really one sided trades in favor of the Mercury. Like all those draft picks going to Dallas and NY. Not compensatory, but when have star trades ever been compensatory?

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it is like pick 5 and B. Turner for Charles and pick 7 and Cuningham for Diggins then

Boo!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
stever wrote:
https://highposthoops.com/2020/02/11/phoenix-mercury-in-talks-to-acquire-tina-charles-skylar-diggins-smith/

Quote:
Phoenix Mercury in talks to acquire Tina Charles, Skylar Diggins-Smith
Shocked

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

What?????

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Going after Tina Charles at this point in her career would be such a Mercury thing to do Confused

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I realize this is crazy but this is what I have come up with

PX gets Diggins-Smith and Charles
Dallas get Griner and #7
NY gets Stebens and #2 (Cox or Sabally)

PX still has picks 5 and 10 to add to a core of Taurasi, SDS, Cahrels, Mitchell, January Turner, Turner, Cuningham and Smith and tries to contend in 2020 Taurasi's last season

Dallas gets a new centerpiece to joing Ogunbowale, Jefferson, Gray, Thorton, N'Dour, IMS and pick #7 (Clearly GloJo moves on)

NY goes full rebuild with Ionescu as the top dog and a young core of Johannes, Han Xu, Durr, Nurse, Stevens and Cox or Sallaby

Based on the article it sounds like they want to pair Charles WITH Griner

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Going after Tina Charles at this point in her career would be such a Mercury thing to do Confused

I take it you’re not happy?

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is probably why they didn't just give Bonner the max, if they thought they were bringing in two cored max players in SDS and Charles and want to keep the cap clear for Gruner in the future? So they hooked up Bonner with the sign and trade as a thank you?

pilight

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charles going to Phoenix will mean every #1 overall pick in the league is in the west (other than whoever NY takes this year)

PostPosted: 02/11/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Charles going to Phoenix will mean every #1 overall pick in the league is in the west (other than whoever NY takes this year)

With a balanced schedule east fans get to see all these stars. They just won't see them wearing their home team's uniforms.

Last edited by Randy on 02/11/20 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/11/20 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure why the Ndour trade to Dallas isn't official, but apparently this three-way is a wrench in it. Maybe Ndour goes to New York?

Phoenix gets Diggins-Smith & Charles.
Dallas gets Boyd, the #5 pick & #13 pick.
New York gets Ndour, Cunningham & the #9 pick.
Chicago gets the #7 pick.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/20 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner gone DT with literally a few months left in the tank.......BG is from Houston , TX about 4 hrs from Dallas . Means nothing though just saying ya know? Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can see PHO having the assets to get Charles, but Charles and Diggins-Smith? Shocked

Maybe PHO has the extra asset of cap space? Absorb a contract, like Amanda Zahui B, so NY can sign Dolson.. Confused

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I can see PHO having the assets to get Charles, but Charles and Diggins-Smith? Shocked

Maybe PHO has the extra asset of cap space? Absorb a contract, like Amanda Zahui B, so NY can sign Dolson.. Confused

with the new cap NY can afford anyone with Tina, Tina would be are only max, old max will be like veteran minimum in the new era Clarendon is getting 100k +

PX on the other hand if they pull it off will have 3 super max players in SDS, Charles, and Griner so they are the ones less likely to absorb contracts

My guess Dallas and NY get picks and bench players

and it still happens

Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 02/12/20 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After seeing Andre Drummond get traded for a 2nd round pick and bench players, I suppose anything's possible in the upcoming Tina Charles trade... Idea Shocked

pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/20 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Diggins and Charles are both supermax and the Merc don't unload January in one of the deals, they'll be filling out last five roster spots with players making about the minimum with no more than two of them having 3+ years in the league.

#NATC

PostPosted: 02/12/20 1:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

I take it you’re not happy?

It's not that I'm unhappy, just that we spent the last couple of seasons topping up with vets to have one last title shot. We got very close in 2018 so I can understand why they gave it one more try last year. That went spectacularly badly. This year would be an even longer shot considering how good Bonner still is and she has just been subtracted from our team that scraped into 8th place last season.

Delaying our rebuild to give it one more shot with Charles seems cray cray to me. Plus just for her sake, I'm hoping that NY starting to build their roster can take some of the load off her and allow her to be more efficient, and maybe enjoy some success in her final years there. She's been the heart of that team for quite a while now so it would be kinda weird to see her finish in Phoenix right when things are finally looking better in NY.
On the other hand, if Phoenix can acquire Charles while keeping Griner, then I can see the appeal for Charles of coming here. The thing she most needs IMO is a quality partner in the front court.

From a Mercury POV, we've enjoyed a lot of success recently so I'm ok with a reboot. If we suck for a couple of years it won't bother me. If we suck for a couple of years and don't use it to build our future, that would bother me.
Add Charles & SDS to our team and I'm still not convinced it will achieve much, but based on our recent drafting record our current collection of picks probably isn't going to achieve much either, so whatever.

PostPosted: 02/12/20 4:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you have Diggins, Charles and Griner on 1 team (let alone a 70-80% Taurasi) then i wouldnt call that a long shot for another try at a championship.

New york are not going anywhere this season or even next season so i get why Charles would want out and go for a ring. Bigger chance for her to get it with the Mercury then with the Liberty IMO

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
toad455

PostPosted: 02/12/20 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/womensbball247/status/1227544839815745537

Quote:
The Mercury are going after two big free agents who were once teammates...

So are they getting Diggins, Charles, plus two big FAs? Courtney Williams & Stricklen? Not sure who this could be?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 02/12/20 6:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Quote:

So are they getting Diggins, Charles, plus two big FAs? Courtney Williams & Stricklen? Not sure who this could be?

I can't come up with any big free agents, or anybody who were teammates, unless overseas counts, in which case I have no idea who were teammates.
Meeseemann & Dolson?
Gray & Stricklen?
Cambage & Glory Johnson?
Tina Charles & Maya Moore? (UConn) I don't think Maya Moore counts as a FA, but it would make sense Lynx haven't made any moves because they need to save open roster spots for the 2 scrubs & 2nd round pick they'd get for Maya. Smile

Randy

PostPosted: 02/12/20 8:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just because the Mercury are calling people on the phone trying sign FA's and make trades doesn't mean they are going to be able to pull all (or any) of this off.....

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/20 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m thinking Charles and Epiphanny Prince. I believe they are great friends and Prince might be available for cheap. Sugar Rodgers also comes to mind.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 02/12/20 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

Quote:

Unless Griner is leaving or they're going without both January and Taurasi, that's not gonna fit under the cap.

PostPosted: 02/12/20 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins-Smith and Charles were probably TeamUSA teammates at some point, if that counts. Although for what it's worth I don't think that's what Mo is refering to.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: