Board Junkies Forums

Connecticut Sun 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/07/20 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awvee Storey will return to the Connecticut Sun’s coaching staff
Natalie Heavren (High Post Hoops)

https://highposthoops.com/2020/01/06/awvee-storey-will-return-connecticut-suns-coaching-staff/

pilight

PostPosted: 02/10/20 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jonquel Jones re-signs

PostPosted: 02/10/20 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Natisha Hiedeman re-signs.

Sun sign and trade Tuck along with the #11 overall pick to Seattle for the #7 overall pick.

Backup guard and UFA Layshia Clarendon signs with the Liberty

toad455

PostPosted: 02/11/20 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bonner to the Sun. Sun gives up their two first-round picks plus their first-rounder in 2021. Have to assume they'll keep Williams, but Stricklen is a definite to go elsewhere now and I doubt they bring back Banham. Sun likely to only be able to keep 11. Still spots for two more who have to be on rokie contracts.

PG: JThomas/Hiedeman
SG: Williams
SF: Bonner/Holmes
PF: AThomas/Plaisance
C: JJones/BJones

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well you know some vet(s) from the Sun aren’t going to be brought back in the future. Maybe they even entertain trades this year. Anybody want Williams or either Thomas? Williams might be difficult for the Sun to keep as she’ll be seeking money on the new scale, like Jones and Bonner just got.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Damn DB I didn’t see this one coming. Yes poor mercury fans!

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Hey at least Bonner did a sign-and-trade and Phoenix got some stuff back in return. Can’t say the same for Angel M. and Atlanta!

Damn, when was the last time we saw a star player get traded into Connecticut??

Shades

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sun traded for everybody who is anybody on their current team.

Only original draft picks left that come to mind are Banham and Bri Jones.
It doesn’t look like they have any no-trade free agent signings either, although I can’t remember how they acquired Jasmine Thomas.

Randy

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Only original draft picks left that come to mind are Banham and Bri Jones.
It doesn’t look like they have any no-trade free agent signings either, although I can’t remember how they acquired Jasmine Thomas.

Trade for Dream 2RP. (Brittany Hyrnko).

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/11/20 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

None of them were well-established star players at the time they came to the Sun. Jones, A. Thomas, Williams... they were either freshly picked by other teams in the draft (the former two) or still rookies (the latter). Stricklen was only entering her fourth year when she was traded there and she still ain’t a star; nor is J. Thomas lmao.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Hey at least Bonner did a sign-and-trade and Phoenix got some stuff back in return. Can’t say the same for Angel M. and Atlanta!

Damn, when was the last time we saw a star player get traded into Connecticut??

That part , with moves like this it gives hope that maybe one day my city can be a destination. Make a finals appearance and they will show up ? Laughing

PostPosted: 02/12/20 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anybody else think Courtney Williams shouldn't take anything less than what JJones got? And JJones was generous going the two-year route at a discount.

Miller making Williams deal secondary might mean he’s looking for a discount, or perhaps he’s shopping her.

Even if he were able to get a discount from Williams to make everything work this season, there’s no way he’s going to be able to pay both Thomases next season, maybe even neither. And guess what, after this season Jasmine Thomas is coming off her last core. They cored her for two seasons. Miller might decide to deal her now in the hopes of getting something in return, and not relying on a similar Bonner signing with her old team to hurt her new team deal.

Jasmine Thomas.... I think she’d look pretty good in a Lynx uniform. Williams would be okay too.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/12/20 12:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im not sure if Jas Thomas wants to be in Connecticut anymore to be honest.

PostPosted: 02/12/20 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
WomensBasketball247

@womensbball247

17 m

*sources say a Sun player wants out... why is an asterisk used? I have no idea

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/12/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:
WomensBasketball247

@womensbball247

17 m

If it's indeed Jasmine Thomas that wants out, that's not a bad thing. They'd miss her defensive intensity and consistency for sure, but one thing about adding Bonner to the lineup (if that means Stricklen is at least demoted to the bench, or even signed elsewhere entirely) is that there would be a new problem: lack of spacing, aka 3-point shooting. As much as Bonner will be a defensive and overall scoring upgrade from Stricklen, she has never been a great 3-point shooter (last year she shot not even 28% from 3), so her insertion into the starting lineup means the Sun will need to offset it by inserting 3-point shooting somewhere else. With the other starters staying put, they need a good-shooting PG. Hiedeman's still too young/inexperienced to be a starter imo, so they'll have to find that source somewhere else.

Hopefully it's indeed Jasmine Thomas that wants out and not someone of higher importance... I could see it being someone lower on the totem pole like Banham, Plaisance, etc. If it's, like, Alyssa Thomas, then yikes.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/12/20 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Like I said, it could be Williams not liking the deal she’s being offered.

lynxmania

PostPosted: 02/12/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:
WomensBasketball247

@womensbball247

17 m

If it's indeed Jasmine Thomas that wants out, that's not a bad thing. They'd miss her defensive intensity and consistency for sure, but one thing about adding Bonner to the lineup (if that means Stricklen is at least demoted to the bench, or even signed elsewhere entirely) is that there would be a new problem: lack of spacing, aka 3-point shooting. As much as Bonner will be a defensive and overall scoring upgrade from Stricklen, she has never been a great 3-point shooter (last year she shot not even 28% from 3), so her insertion into the starting lineup means the Sun will need to offset it by inserting 3-point shooting somewhere else. With the other starters staying put, they need a good-shooting PG. Hiedeman's still too young/inexperienced to be a starter imo, so they'll have to find that source somewhere else.

Hopefully it's indeed Jasmine Thomas that wants out and not someone of higher importance... I could see it being someone lower on the totem pole like Banham, Plaisance, etc. If it's, like, Alyssa Thomas, then yikes.

If Jas wants out, how long until AT wants out? Or are they no longer a couple anymore? Or maybe that could be a reason she would want out.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/12/20 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx mania your on to something, but with the way those two have been over the years I can’t rule out a change of “Heart”

PostPosted: 02/12/20 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
If Jas wants out, how long until AT wants out? Or are they no longer a couple anymore? Or maybe that could be a reason she would want out.

I was completely under the impression they broke up before the 2019 season? Someone on here I think said that, but I can't pull up the receipts. Embarassed

toad455

PostPosted: 02/14/20 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Sun lose Williams, Stricklen and Holmes, their bench will actually be worse than last year's.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RI_Sun_Fan

PostPosted: 02/14/20 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Bonner was listed an UFA. If she wanted to go to Connecticut and wants to win, why didn't she sign a max deal with the Sun directly and then her new team would still have 3 1st round pics over the next two years ?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/14/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but Bonner was listed an UFA. If she wanted to go to Connecticut and wants to win, why didn't she sign a max deal with the Sun directly and then her new team would still have 3 1st round pics over the next two years ?

Because turning it into a sign-and-trade got her 4 years starting at 215k rather than 3 years starting at 185k. She valued that more than the three picks Wink.

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

She's got to feed her family.

In all seriousness, it's a significant amount of money and wouldn't you make sure you were being paid your worth? I know I wouldn't be leaving +30k/year on the table to help my employer hire additional people to meet some team performance goals...

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m assuming the key to all that extra sponsorship money is your team winning... like the Commissioner’s Cup and whatnot. So short term worrying about $30K/yr and reducing your team’s player assets in the future lessens your team’s ability to win. Not looking at the big picture.

If $215K was so important to her, she could have just stayed in PHX. It’s not like there’s no hope to win there playing with Griner. I mean, just look at PHX’s efforts to remain relevant after Bonner left. That’s what she left.

As far as Connecticut goes, it may be looking rosey for them to you right now, but the band won’t be able to stay together for long.

Last edited by Shades on 02/14/20 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/14/20 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:

Maybe, at the same time of helping herself get paid more of course, she wanted to help out the team she was leaving, as a thank-you for all the many good years. Very Happy

... Laughing nah it was to get that Xtra CA$H

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: