RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches' Seats Getting Warm, and Why
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 02/11/20 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I heard she signed a six-year contract originally, and if that's the case, I don't see them buying her out.

She works hard -- she was at a high school game in the Bay Area last night.

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I guess it comes down to whether Washington's AD gives a hoot about WBB. It usually does.

PostPosted: 02/11/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I have no qualms about her as a person - she really values hard work/effort, the concept of role models, and getting the student-athletes ready for life after college. It's just the on-the-court stuff many including I have problems with. No results from a bad approach.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/25/20 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PRballer wrote:
After their WVU drubbing on the road, which is impressive, I imagine if they keep up this pace they are safely in the NCAAs and she can rebound on the recruiting trail with her new staff. Coquese and Jackie are not slouches.

Yeah, the worm has turned (for the worse) in Norman, but given her history and current surge, I think she's quite safe as long as she stays in the top half of the Big 12....and certainly, if they can make the Big Dance this year.

So now they're in a three way tie for 7th place (which also means next-to-last). And aren't likely to finish better than 7-11 in conference. The only way they make the tourney with that record is if they can beat Baylor in the conference tourney-unlikely. Do you think her seat is back to hot or will her past still carry her another couple of years?

Howee

PostPosted: 02/25/20 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Howee wrote:
PRballer wrote:
After their WVU drubbing on the road, which is impressive, I imagine if they keep up this pace they are safely in the NCAAs and she can rebound on the recruiting trail with her new staff. Coquese and Jackie are not slouches.

Yeah, the worm has turned (for the worse) in Norman, but given her history and current surge, I think she's quite safe as long as she stays in the top half of the Big 12....and certainly, if they can make the Big Dance this year.

So now they're in a three way tie for 7th place (which also means next-to-last). And aren't likely to finish better than 7-11 in conference. The only way they make the tourney with that record is if they can beat Baylor in the conference tourney-unlikely. Do you think her seat is back to hot or will her past still carry her another couple of years?

Oh, yeah....their few flashes of brilliance this season, and her history will continue to carry her, I'm certain.

PostPosted: 02/26/20 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will Brown coach be on hot seat? https://www.browndailyherald.com/2020/02/24/brown-university-band-will-not-perform-womens-basketball-games-protest-head-coach/

Youth Coach

PostPosted: 02/27/20 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
Will Brown coach be on hot seat? https://www.browndailyherald.com/2020/02/24/brown-university-band-will-not-perform-womens-basketball-games-protest-head-coach/

Seems bad, but there does seem to be some wiggle room on interpretation of some of the alleged comments.

Telling players they need to lose weight to be faster seems to lean more towards making them better players, not body shaming them. Of course, how you tell them that goes a long way too.
Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 02/27/20 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After reading this article, I say the Brown coach still looks like a Catholic schoolgirl compared to the New Mexico coach....

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 02/28/20 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some rumbling in Lincoln. Granted they rely on underclassmen and have had to deal with injuries but Husker fans don't see a great prognosis going forward as next years recruiting class looks less than stellar.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/28/20 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Some rumbling in Lincoln. Granted they rely on underclassmen and have had to deal with injuries but Husker fans don't see a great prognosis going forward as next years recruiting class looks less than stellar.

How long has it been since they booted Yori? And frankly, I think they've done better than I anticipated. I haven't really followed them since they left the Big 12.

PostPosted: 02/28/20 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

How long has it been since they booted Yori? And frankly, I think they've done better than I anticipated. I haven't really followed them since they left the Big 12.

Amy Williams is finishing her 4th year in Lincoln. Her contract extension from 2018 ends in 2023.

Results in the B1G:
2017 Tied for 11th - no post-season
2018 Tied for 3rd (NCAA 1st round, also B1G COY)
2019 Tied for 6th - no post-season
2020 10th - 17-12, eligible for WNIT

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/19/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last dance, Last chance.....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tennessean.com/amp/2975704001

The article talks about roster changes at Vanderbilt but then swerves into talking about Stephanie white for year stint as head coach of the Commodores and how that could be coming to an end unless fortunes on the basketball court take a big-time.

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/19/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stephanie White's coaching career is an interesting one.

One would think she had everything going for her -- leadership as a player, fan support, experience, good looks (that does count, truth be told), name recognition -- but she hasn't been able to get it done.

For me, that just shows how hard the job really is, not so much that White wasn't a decent coach. It takes a lot to be successful at level (or any level, really) and even with all the positives White brought to the table, she struggled.

PostPosted: 04/19/20 6:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

One would think she had everything going for her -- leadership as a player, fan support, experience, good looks (that does count, truth be told), name recognition -- but she hasn't been able to get it done.

For me, that just shows how hard the job really is, not so much that White wasn't a decent coach. It takes a lot to be successful at level (or any level, really) and even with all the positives White brought to the table, she struggled.

I agree. I don't know the nuances of recruiting to a school like Vanderbilt. Maybe it's a case similar to Gail Goestenkors at Texas; just not a good fit. I don't recognize the names of players whom she recruits. As recruiting is a big part of this business, does she have difficulty recognizing top talent whatever that may be, or is it making Vanderbilt attractive to top talent.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/19/20 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

We all know those who start out as phenomenal players don't necessarily make good coaches (C. Cooper, C. Swoopes, etc.), but.....many DO. (Staley, Mulkey, etc.) It certainly seems like White has committed to all the Right Pathways to get there. Could it be Vandy's jinxed? I remember Balcomb struggling there, too. Who was their last Big Winning Coach? Foster?

I always liked the girl.....hope she can make it somewhere as a coach, if not there in Nashville.

PostPosted: 04/19/20 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The key is getting college coaching experience first. WNBA you get draft picks, salary cap, just ways to make it more equitable. College basketball is nothing like that. South Carolina could get the equivalent of five 1st round draft picks and Vanderbilt could get zero if they don't recruit well.

After this, who is going to hire a coach from WNBA to college?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/19/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've heard that Vandy's admission requirements are on a level with Stanford's. Could someone who actually knows more than I do shed some light on this, because that could be a big factor in recruiting, especially if the coach hasn't faced that before?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/19/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
I've heard that Vandy's admission requirements are on a level with Stanford's. Could someone who actually knows more than I do shed some light on this, because that could be a big factor in recruiting, especially if the coach hasn't faced that before?

That's my understanding, and it's a VBD in recruiting there.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ClayK wrote:

We all know those who start out as phenomenal players don't necessarily make good coaches (C. Cooper, C. Swoopes, etc.), but.....many DO. (Staley, Mulkey, etc.) It certainly seems like White has committed to all the Right Pathways to get there. Could it be Vandy's jinxed? I remember Balcomb struggling there, too. Who was their last Big Winning Coach? Foster?

I always liked the girl.....hope she can make it somewhere as a coach, if not there in Nashville.

Is it the jinx of being a top flight academic institution, but not top flight enough to get the really good players/students? Are they all going to Stanford now? Northwestern? I mean, Duke used to get all these kids, but that seat for McCallie is the hottest of any seat on this thread.

I like White, she was a great analyst too, so you know she knows the game, inside and out. Vandy just might not be the place for her. Could it be that she isn't "southern" enough?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/20 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Melanie Balcomb put Vandy in the tank after Jim Foster left, and Steph is having a hard time getting it out of there. Once you get there in the SEC it's hard to get out, and that, plus the academic thing, is behind her problems, I think. She may not know how to appeal to good players who are also highly motivated academically. I don't think it's a "southern" thing at all.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vandy is known as the Harvard (Ivy League standards) of the South/Southeast...just as Stanford is the Harvard(Ivy League) of the West coast.

These school make few if ANY exceptions for admission of questionable athletes...they meet NCAA standards but are NOT the average incoming freshmen in test scores or GPA...MANY other universities make multiple exceptions

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/20/20 12:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know the SEC that well, but Balcomb was 309-142 at Vandy (.685) overall and 119-82 (.592) in the SEC. Of course she declined at the end, which is why she's still no longer there.

Stephanie White is 42-79 (.347) overall and 13-51 (.203) in the SEC.

Her last two years, with her players, she is 21-39 and 6-26.

In Balcomb's last two years, she was 33-30 and 10-22.

I know people didn't care much for Balcomb, and maybe she completely trashed the program before she left, but overall, she was pretty good, it seems to me.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Balcomb was generally unpopular in the SEC, for some reason, and she did completely trash the program in her last 3-4 years. In her first 2-3, Vandy kind of skated on Foster's reputation. Then she really became the face of the program.

I still think Steph's problems are defined by the last sentence in my previous post: She may not know how to appeal to good players who are also highly motivated academically.

PostPosted: 04/20/20 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Balcomb got more out of less than any other coach I've seen. I really think recruiting is the issue, that's why I asked about being hamstrung by the academic requirements.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 04/20/20 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if the relative strength of pro basketball has hurt the high end academic schools in wbb. Schools like Vandy and Stanford attracted top talent partly because they were offering women top quality educations in a sport where there was no pro path.

Now that the pro path is there (though certainly not at the level of the men), I wonder if a number of the best athletes look more to the basketball factory than the academics?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: