RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wnbafan

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:38 pm    ::: Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics! Reply Reply with quote

Not a good move for the Mystics. Don't know what they did to lose her, but I hope they have an ace up their sleeve.

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:40 pm    ::: Re: Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics! Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
Not a good move for the Mystics. Don't know what they did to lose her, but I hope they have an ace up their sleeve.

Or at least a wing.....

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:46 pm    ::: Re: Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics! Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

Or at least a wing.....

Based on what Mike T said in his interview, I find it highly unlikely they are in the discussion for SDS.

I suppose they could start scrambling now, but they would be super late-comers.

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:48 pm    ::: Re: Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics! Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Randy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

Or at least a wing.....

Based on what Mike T said in his interview, I find it highly unlikely they are in the discussion for SDS.

I wouldn't read into that interview too much

justintyme

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:57 pm    ::: Re: Toliver signs with Sparks - WTF Mystics! Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
justintyme wrote:
Randy wrote:
wnbafan wrote:

Or at least a wing.....

I wouldn't read into that interview too much

Why not? It was pretty straight forward, and it is also the smart and logical decision. Washington is sitting very well off, even without Toliver. There is no reason for them to go crazy and chance gutting their team.

PostPosted: 02/10/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think that podcast comment was made with the assumption a deal would be made with Toliver. I have not heard Washington being a destination for SDS neither ,but that does not mean they wont be now. The way the dominoes are falling skylar might be seeing clear skies as to where she could land.

PostPosted: 02/10/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I think that podcast comment was made with the assumption a deal would be made with Toliver. I have not heard Washington being a destination for SDS neither ,but that does not mean they wont be now. The way the dominoes are falling skylar might be seeing clear skies as to where she could land.

I agree that they could suddenly jump into the talks. It's just that if they do, they drive the price up for themselves and everyone else. Which is great for the Wings, and bad if you are one of the other GMs. But if you're the Mystics, is that higher price for SDS worth it for a team coming off a championship?

I'm just going to point out that Minnesota currently has zero PGs as of now that are both signed and available to play in 2020. And they don't seem to be in that much of a hurry to sign any, outside of some offers thrown at the likes of Mitchell and TRP (though TRP isn't even a PG). Makes me think there's a reason...

PostPosted: 02/10/20 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexie Brown qualifies as a PG.

There’s no reason for the Lynx to panic. They probably have dibs on DRob if they don’t wait too long.

I also like that none of the top PG’s have been immediately signed (unless you count Toliver as a PG). Reeve trying to work some magic to acquire Gray or Sloot? Diggins? Meh, I’d pass.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Genero36

PostPosted: 02/10/20 5:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What are the terms of this deal?

PostPosted: 02/10/20 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
What are the terms of this deal?

3 year, fully guaranteed max contract (not super-max since it was not a sign-and-trade and she went to a new team).

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Chelsea Gray will look good in a Mystics uniform, I wonder if Thibault can make Chelsea Gray an offer that will be out of the range for the Sparks to match. Maybe. Leilani Mitchell returning to the Mystics on a 1 or 2 year contract

“We’re looking at, long-term, keeping the rest of our core together,” Thibault said. “ We’re hoping to sign one more player in free agency that will help. I’m not going to talk about it until I know it’s done. Then we’ll figure it out from there. We’re operating from a position of strength, not weakness.”

Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No GM, even in this league, is dumb enough not to leave themselves enough room to match any offer to their star point guard.

Last edited by Richyyy on 02/11/20 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Chelsea Gray will look good in a Mystics uniform, I wonder if Thibault can make Chelsea Gray an offer that will be out of the range for the Sparks to match. Maybe. Leilani Mitchell returning to the Mystics on a 1 or 2 year contract

“We’re looking at, long-term, keeping the rest of our core together,” Thibault said. “ We’re hoping to sign one more player in free agency that will help. I’m not going to talk about it until I know it’s done. Then we’ll figure it out from there. We’re operating from a position of strength, not weakness.”

Mitchell sounds like a great short-term option. Not even that much of a downgrade based on last season Wink

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/20 1:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way LA Marketed Gray over the summer I find it hard to believe they let her walk. She’s fishers favorite by far....

PostPosted: 02/11/20 3:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Heard that the Sparks have traded Kalani Brown to Atlanta for Maria Gulish and Brittney Sykes

PostPosted: 02/11/20 7:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The addition of Toliver, a huge bounce in salary after 2020 for Candace, Chiney and Naeka. Plus, the Sparks matching a big offer for Gray will have the Sparks up against the cap wall in future years.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
The addition of Toliver, a huge bounce in salary after 2020 for Candace, Chiney and Naeka. Plus, the Sparks matching a big offer for Gray will have the Sparks up against the cap wall in future years.

Will Chiney get a big pay bump? She's a bench player who doesn't want to play anywhere else.

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Will Chiney get a big pay bump? She's a bench player who doesn't want to play anywhere else.

Also the sister of maybe their best player. Might be a bad idea to piss her off.

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Also the sister of maybe their best player. Might be a bad idea to piss her off.

If another team offered Chiney the max next year she might actually consider taking it. Playing with sis is fun, but if there is a lot more $ somewhere else.....

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Well, the bench player Chiney will have a salary of $119,500 compare to her sister Naeka's $117,000 salary in 2020.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/11/20 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
pilight wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Plus the possibility that the Sparks draft their sister Erica and have three Ogwumikes on one roster.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/11/20 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Erica would never make the final cut. I love your optimism and belief in players though road!

PostPosted: 02/11/20 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Erica would never make the final cut. I love your optimism and belief in players though road!

Agreed. Wiese, Jones & Mabrey are all better, but the Sparks will likely still draft her just for the headline.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jap

PostPosted: 02/12/20 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Our principal Mad Bomber has returned! Kristi has grown so much since that dismally poor record showing of 14 TO's in a single game. Even back then, she capped the victory with a last second 3-point heave through the net. Although Chelsea will remain the primary point, it is comforting to know they can switch roles occasionally or have Kristi take over if The Closer needs a blow.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: