RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Predict the 2020 Final Four
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/07/20 7:39 am    ::: Predict the 2020 Final Four Reply Reply with quote

The reg. season ends in less than a month. Seems to me, 3 teams have separated from the pack:

Baylor
Oregon
S. Carolina

Who's the 4th?

PostPosted: 02/07/20 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford, especially if some of the injured return.

Louisville seems to have problems - which can be addressed, but who knows.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 02/07/20 11:25 am    ::: Re: Predict the 2020 Final Four Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
The reg. season ends in less than a month. Seems to me, 3 teams have separated from the pack:

Baylor
Oregon
S. Carolina

Who's the 4th?

I agree those three are the most likely, but this seems to me like a year when we could actually have some surprises.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/07/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland has a lot of talent, and if they could consistently fire on all cylinders, they could be a Final Four level team. But they struggle to be consistent for some reason.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/07/20 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Baylor, SoCar, Oregon, and somebody that lucks out with a favorable seed in an "easy" bracket.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/07/20 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Maryland has a lot of talent, and if they could consistently fire on all cylinders, they could be a Final Four level team. But they struggle to be consistent for some reason.

Maryland has just about as bad a turnover problem as Tennessee.

PostPosted: 02/07/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Shades wrote:

Maryland has just about as bad a turnover problem as Tennessee.

I will be surprised if Maryland makes the elite 8.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 02/07/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Baylor, SoCar, Oregon, and somebody that lucks out with a favorable seed in an "easy" bracket.

yeah, there are quite a few possibilities for that 4th place. Louisville, Stanford, OrSU, NCState, UConn are the most likely but it could be someone else who simply makes a run at the right time. And while I would say it's highly likely the first three will make it, as we have seen, none of them are invulnerable so it could be a fun time.

Being a homer I'll say Stanford but we'll need some luck. It doesn't look like we'll be getting either Carrington or Dodson back this year, which is quite the bummer since Carrington was supposed to be our best player and Dodson our first post off the bench. Watch out next year though...

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 02/07/20 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Whoever is the 4th 1 seed. Oregon, Baylor and S Carolina seem to be above everyone else. If Oregon St stays out of the Baylor & S Carolina region I like them. Rueck has done more with less for a few years.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 02/08/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i predict that of the 3 favorites, south carolina will not make FF.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 02/09/20 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
i predict that of the 3 favorites, south carolina will not make FF.

Agreed. Three freshman starters doesn’t necessarily bode well for them come late March.

I predict that Oregon will win it all. Everything else up till that point might be a giant cluster F, which I would love.

Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/20 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland was at #3 RPI and #8 SOS, before they destroyed Rutgers today.

NFL1

PostPosted: 02/09/20 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have been more impressed with SoCar this year more than any other - they have offense not just defense. I seem to remember a young Maryland team in 2006 who won it all with two freshmen in Marisa Coleman and Kristi Toliver.

I have no idea who that 4th team will be...this year has been so much fun!

NFL1

PostPosted: 02/09/20 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Take that back...the 4th should be another Pac12 team...whether Stanford or OR State/Arizona...the day in day out competition outweighs the W-L stats this year.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/20 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon and Baylor.....and the other two are a mystery.

PostPosted: 02/09/20 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Maryland was at #3 RPI and #8 SOS, before they destroyed Rutgers today.
Maryland has struggled a lot in the paint against teams with front court size/skills, e.g., SC’s Aliyah Boston and NC State’s Elissa Cunane. And today, Shakira fouled out of a game that her team won by 29 pts., which doesn’t give me much confidence in her savvy in the post.

Terps’ 3pt. shooting has picked up, and any team that is hitting from 3pt. range will give their opponents fits. But depending largely on a hot hand at threes doesn’t sound to me like a strategy based on excellence of execution. (Their defense is, however, getting it done.)

I’ll be pleased if they get to the round of 16.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/09/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seeing Maryland in contention for a #1 seed is laughable.

PostPosted: 02/09/20 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Oregon and Baylor.....and the other two are a mystery.

You don't think South Carolina is a lock? They have looked darn good this year! I know we fight about my Huskies, but I'll call it a win if we make the Elite 8 this year.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/10/20 3:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Barring something very strange Oregon will be in Portland, Baylor will be in Dallas and South Carolina will be in Greenville. All will have strong site advantages. The Fort Wayne region is open for the 4th #1 seed. There are several teams that could get there, including North Carolina St, Louisville, Maryland, Connecticut (with a win over South Carolina) or even Stanford or UCLA with a Pac12 tournament win. These teams would all be in contention for the overall number 5 slot as well, but if that team is from the Pac 12 it would likely go to Dallas. More likely the 3rd seed in this region will come from the Pac 12 and the 4th seed should come from the Big 10 if Maryland is not the 1 seed. I see the ACC winner (Louisville or North Carolina St) as the probable 1 seed with Maryland the 2, Arizona or UCLA as the 3 and Indiana as the 4. Any of them could get to the final 4.

South Carolina seem the most vulnerable of the top 3 as the 2 seed could be North Carolina St, limiting their site benefit. Carolina also has some freshman that may not respond to tournament pressure. Baylor look superior to any team that could be shipped to Dallas, but the #2 team out of the Pac 12 will likely get the 2 seed in Dallas unless they get the 1 seed in in Fort Wayne. Mississippi St could also find their way to Dallas. Oregon could get a rematch with UConn in Portland. Another thing to watch for is whether the Committee could put a 4 or 5 seed Oregon St in Portland also as the 5th team out of the Pac 12. Despite already playing twice that would be an amazing Sweet 16 game.

So going out on a limb I will take Oregon, Baylor, Maryland and Louisville, as long as 1 of them is in Greenville.

taropatch

PostPosted: 02/10/20 4:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fourth spot goes to NC State

myrtle

PostPosted: 02/10/20 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Charlie is penciling in Maryland according to the ESPN crew. Shocked If NC State beats Louis this week, I think they have the inside track. Much better resume plus they already beat Maryland. I've watched quite a few of Maryland's games...and I would put them as somewhere between the 10th and 14th best team out there. If they're a #1, I want to play them!

- Amanda Gorman
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 02/10/20 11:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

obviously it has to be someone who is not in the bracket with Oregon, Baylor, or SC, so probably anyone in the fourth region if Conn ends up as the 2 in that region they have a chance, or whatever Pac team ends up in that region UCLA, OrS, Stanford

for a completely random suggestions I will go with Florida State

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/11/20 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has there ever been a season where the overall #1 seed is more important than this one? There are clearly 3 teams heads and shoulders above the rest and 2 of those teams will have to play in one Final Four. The other will blow out the team they play in the other semifinal.

How do we see this playing out?

**Baylor won't lose another game because the B12 stinks. That will hurt them for the overall #1 because their OOC schedule, outside of UCONN and South Carolina, was cupcake city as usual.

**Oregon plays the most good teams and the Pac-12 is the best conference, but I think all of those teams are bad match-ups playing a team like Oregon. I think you need toughness to beat them and nobody in the Pac-12 has that. UCLA maybe, but they don't have the offense to keep up with Oregon. Oregon can out smart and out skill and out shoot everyone in WCBB. They will only have trouble with a physical defensive team, like SC or Baylor.

**South Carolina looks good, really good, but they rely a lot on freshman. They had some lapses last night that a team who can shoot the ball would've exploited. When you rely so much on freshman, even good ones, and get a game away from home or on a neutral court against a team with great guards, like Mississippi State, they could be in trouble. The SEC is relatively weak this year, so they'll probably run the table, but they're the team most likely to lose, IMO.

Thoughts?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/11/20 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Has there ever been a season where the overall #1 seed is more important than this one? There are clearly 3 teams heads and shoulders above the rest and 2 of those teams will have to play in one Final Four. The other will blow out the team they play in the other semifinal.

How do we see this playing out?

**Baylor won't lose another game because the B12 stinks. That will hurt them for the overall #1 because their OOC schedule, outside of UCONN and South Carolina, was cupcake city as usual.

**Oregon plays the most good teams and the Pac-12 is the best conference, but I think all of those teams are bad match-ups playing a team like Oregon. I think you need toughness to beat them and nobody in the Pac-12 has that. UCLA maybe, but they don't have the offense to keep up with Oregon. Oregon can out smart and out skill and out shoot everyone in WCBB. They will only have trouble with a physical defensive team, like SC or Baylor.

**South Carolina looks good, really good, but they rely a lot on freshman. They had some lapses last night that a team who can shoot the ball would've exploited. When you rely so much on freshman, even good ones, and get a game away from home or on a neutral court against a team with great guards, like Mississippi State, they could be in trouble. The SEC is relatively weak this year, so they'll probably run the table, but they're the team most likely to lose, IMO.

Thoughts?

!. Baylor ALWAYS has a cupcake OOC schedule. Always. Kim does that to pad their resume. Regardless, they are well-disciplined and pretty dang deep. Cox is, for my money, one of the best in the game and a sure 1 to 3 pick in the draft, depending on the needs of a team. Richardson is right up there with her. I love Moon Ursin coming off the bench. I expect them to be in the championship game.

2. Oregon. Yikes. They just keep getting better. Barring injury, I don't see any problems. Ionescu is guardable though she's getting better at that. Maybe someone really physical and *quick* can get her, but beyond that....*shrug*

3. South Carolina. They have some weaknesses, but relying on freshmen isn't one of them. Freshmen aren't necessarily weak. They might be young, but can still be pretty mature. They're physical and are led by experienced players, and they can hurt you in a lot of ways.

4. The #4 team is still a mystery to me and I think will depend on placement more than anything. Right now I could look at NC State as much as anyone. I don't think Maryland, their bad hands could doom them.

PostPosted: 02/11/20 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NCSU had a more cupcake OOC schedule than Baylor, according to SOS data.
Their conference this year is just as bad if not worse than the Big 12.
Nothing really supports NCSU as a top team.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: