RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What is wrong with Ole Miss?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UNCWNBALuv

PostPosted: 02/02/20 12:18 pm    ::: What is wrong with Ole Miss? Reply Reply with quote

They got smacked by South Carolina in the worst way, and I don't remember them ever being good. I looked up the win-lose records, and the team hasn't particular been good since 2007-2008. Was there something that happened from then until now as to why women's basketball there is like this?

Actually 1997-98 through 2002-03 weren't good either.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/02/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They never have been all that good, but I agree, this year they're abysmal. They've produced a couple of good players, though. Armintie Price comes immediately to mind.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about Ole Miss but Arizona were a decent team, then their center and best player (Shawntinice Polk) died suddenly with a blood clot while at practice in 2005, and they went thru a period of total shock, then sucked for quite a few years. Now Adia Barnes seems to finally be reviving the program. It just seemed like the shadow of Polky's death hung over the program for such a long time.

Not saying anything so dramatic happened for Ole Miss but it's an example of how a program can turn quickly from good to bad. And always it helps to not only have a good coach, but also a good recruiter.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/02/20 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It also helps to have an AD who gives a damn about WBB. Not sure whether that's the case at Ole Miss, where football has always been king. It was at Wisconsin, where Pat Richter effectively killed a program that had been decent at one time and the current coach, Jonathan Tsipis, is doing his level best to revive it, still without much help from the athletic department.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They just had some poor coaching staffs in recent years - they had a long stretch of success under Van Chancellor, who was one of the powerhouse coaching personalities in WCBB in the SEC during the 80s and 90s - led Ole Miss to 4 Elite Eights and 2 undefeated regular season runs in the SEC. The Rebels were very often the 2nd best SEC team behind Summitt's Lady Vols, along with Georgia and Auburn. Chancellor left the college ranks for the professional women BB for a decade, than returned to LSU and initially led them to a Final Four.

After Chancellor, the Ole Miss WBB program declined: the staff that replaced him was not able to maintain the level of the program he built. The head coach that replaced that one - Carol Ross - was a quality coach. She was the HC at Florida for over a decade, and led the Gators to annual NCAATs including an Elite Eight appearance in 1996-97. She came to Oxford and immediately the program saw results: playing in the NCAAT 3 of her 4 years there and reaching the EE her final year. But she was only there briefly.

After Ross, the program fell back into decline beginning with 2007, and the previous head coach Matt Insell was probably among the worst ones they've had. He was really in over his head as a HC in a major WCBB league, and was not able to recruit talent into the program.

The current HC - Yolett McPhee-McCuin, or "Coach Yo" - seems to have an idea of how to build a program, and she and her staff seem to be strong recruiters. The team doesn't have much talent on it this season - they are regularly playing a team student-manager due to the lack of depth - but McCuin is bringing in a top-20 class that includes 2 5-star prospects including the highest-rated prospect in the program's history, and I expect she will get the program competing soon. Maybe not next year, but certainly by 2021-22.

This season however, they are going to have to take their licks.....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/02/20 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they have a bunch of injuries, besides which Coach Yo dismissed their starting PG?

PostPosted: 02/02/20 2:30 pm    ::: Good Luck Coach Yo. Reply Reply with quote

I hope Coach Yo is able to. If she's only been there two years, she's pretty much working with players she didn't recruit.

Conway Gamecock wrote:
They just had some poor coaching staffs in recent years - they had a long stretch of success under Van Chancellor, who was one of the powerhouse coaching personalities in WCBB in the SEC during the 80s and 90s - led Ole Miss to 4 Elite Eights and 2 undefeated regular season runs in the SEC. The Rebels were very often the 2nd best SEC team behind Summitt's Lady Vols, along with Georgia and Auburn. Chancellor left the college ranks for the professional women BB for a decade, than returned to LSU and initially led them to a Final Four.

After Chancellor, the Ole Miss WBB program declined: the staff that replaced him was not able to maintain the level of the program he built. The head coach that replaced that one - Carol Ross - was a quality coach. She was the HC at Florida for over a decade, and led the Gators to annual NCAATs including an Elite Eight appearance in 1996-97. She came to Oxford and immediately the program saw results: playing in the NCAAT 3 of her 4 years there and reaching the EE her final year. But she was only there briefly.

After Ross, the program fell back into decline beginning with 2007, and the previous head coach Matt Insell was probably among the worst ones they've had. He was really in over his head as a HC in a major WCBB league, and was not able to recruit talent into the program.

The current HC - Yolett McPhee-McCuin, or "Coach Yo" - seems to have an idea of how to build a program, and she and her staff seem to be strong recruiters. The team doesn't have much talent on it this season - they are regularly playing a team student-manager due to the lack of depth - but McCuin is bringing in a top-20 class that includes 2 5-star prospects including the highest-rated prospect in the program's history, and I expect she will get the program competing soon. Maybe not next year, but certainly by 2021-22.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/02/20 5:34 pm    ::: Re: Good Luck Coach Yo. Reply Reply with quote

UNCWNBALuv wrote:
I hope Coach Yo is able to. If she's only been there two years, she's pretty much working with players she didn't recruit.

Conway Gamecock wrote:

That generally is the case for a new coach. And then sometimes players who were recruited bail because they don't like the new coach or their methods (too tough, too easy, not MY coach, I'm just gonna go pout, whatever) and the new coach is left to put together a team from the pieces and whatever she can recruit on the fly. That's what happened to Nikki McCray at ODU, but I must say, she did pretty well with it. She didn't have to dismiss her starting PG for disciplinary issues, though.

PostPosted: 02/02/20 5:34 pm    ::: Re: Good Luck Coach Yo. Reply Reply with quote

UNCWNBALuv wrote:

Conway Gamecock wrote:

That generally is the case for a new coach. And then sometimes players who were recruited by the previous coach bail because they don't like the new coach or their methods (too tough, too easy, not MY coach, I'm just gonna go pout, whatever) and the new coach is left to put together a team from the pieces and whatever she can recruit on the fly. That's what happened to Nikki McCray at ODU, but I must say, she did pretty well with it. She didn't have to dismiss her starting PG for disciplinary issues, though.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Long-term success in any organization is almost always dictated by the focus of upper management -- and long-term failure in women's basketball almost always indicates a lack of interest in the sport by the administration overall and the athletic department in particular.

All schools have scarce resources that must be allocated, and choices must be made. At Ole Miss, it would be foolish to take resources from football -- a potential multi-million dollar cash cow should there be success at a high level -- and put them in women's basketball, and that apparently is the case.

Some schools feel that women's basketball is important enough to invest in, and some don't. Long-term results pretty clearly indicate which schools are in which group.

PostPosted: 02/03/20 12:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Insell was a quick hire because Adrian Williams and assistants Michael and Kenya Landers were fired after never coaching a game for NCAA violations related to academics and recruiting. That was in Oct of 2012.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: