RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/25/20 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
Poor Kayla Irwin....how did that kid ever get recruited anyway? Did she have a stellar hs career, or something?

She works really hard. She would be a regular on many other teams. Not a star, but a regular. It's just that we're used to UConn having 5 or 6 stars and this year they have maybe 3 1/2 so it seems like a down year. [before you ask, I'd say Williams and Walker are clearly stars; Dangerfield is sometimes a star; Ododa is 1/2 a star; and Griffin has the potential to maybe someday be a star. Of course none of the stars are true superstars, which we're used to seeing at least one of those every year as well]

+1 Kayla is playing to the best of her skills and abilities and she has always given 100%. She nor anyone at UConn ever claimed she was an elite athlete or star player. She and Molly have been human punching bags for training purposes and last choice backups for four years. She should be given praise for how she has improved and stuck with the team, as she could have been playing at many other schools. Not all UConn recruits can be Maya Moores, Sue Birds or Tina Charles.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:
Poor Kayla Irwin....how did that kid ever get recruited anyway? Did she have a stellar hs career, or something?

She works really hard. She would be a regular on many other teams. Not a star, but a regular. It's just that we're used to UConn having 5 or 6 stars and this year they have maybe 3 1/2 so it seems like a down year. [before you ask, I'd say Williams and Walker are clearly stars; Dangerfield is sometimes a star; Ododa is 1/2 a star; and Griffin has the potential to maybe someday be a star. Of course none of the stars are true superstars, which we're used to seeing at least one of those every year as well]

+1 Kayla is playing to the best of her skills and abilities and she has always given 100%. She nor anyone at UConn ever claimed she was an elite athlete or star player. She and Molly have been human punching bags for training purposes and last choice backups for four years. She should be given praise for how she has improved and stuck with the team, as she could have been playing at many other schools. Not all UConn recruits can be Maya Moores, Sue Birds or Tina Charles.

Damn shame indeed. Smile

PostPosted: 01/29/20 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not exactly what some want to see but how often does any female player make the cover of Slam?

There's a nice article at this link: https://www.slamonline.com/the-magazine/paige-bueckers-cover-story/

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/30/20 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

get some meat on those bones, Paige!

PostPosted: 01/31/20 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Asst. coach Jasmine Lister, who has missed the last 7 games- "not feeling well"- is taking a leave of absence "for personal reasons".

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2020/1/30/21116275/uconn-huskies-womens-basketball-assistant-jasmine-lister-on-personal-leave

PostPosted: 01/31/20 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Asst. coach Jasmine Lister, who has missed the last 7 games- "not feeling well"- is taking a leave of absence "for personal reasons".

https://www.theuconnblog.com/2020/1/30/21116275/uconn-huskies-womens-basketball-assistant-jasmine-lister-on-personal-leave

UPDATE: The school provided a formal update on the situation. Lister is taking a leave of absence due to “personal reasons,” leaving the the Huskies with just two assistant coaches.

Because of that, Jamelle Elliot will replace her on staff for the rest of the season. Elliot currently holds the title Associate Athletic Director for the National C Club, but spent 11 years on Auriemma’s staff as an assistant from 1998-2009.

PostPosted: 01/31/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
She should be given praise for how she has improved and stuck with the team, as she could have been playing at many other schools. Not all UConn recruits can be Maya Moores, Sue Birds or Tina Charles.

UCONN fans and the players on other teams who she would have displaced with a transfer should give her credit. Outside of those two groups, I don’t think her wanting to sit for a national powerhouse versus play for a less talented team resonates much.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/31/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DePaul losing to Creighton is a bad sign for the Hussies. They'll have to beat at least one of Oregon/South Carolina to even hold a #2 seed. If they were to lose a conference game, even hosting the first two rounds would not be a sure thing.

PostPosted: 01/31/20 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
DePaul losing to Creighton is a bad sign for the Hussies. They'll have to beat at least one of Oregon/South Carolina to even hold a #2 seed. If they were to lose a conference game, even hosting the first two rounds would not be a sure thing.

Shocked Huh? How does Creighton's win make that all happen?

PostPosted: 01/31/20 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

DePaul is UConn's signature win on the season. If they struggle in the BEast, UConn's resume suffers accordingly.

PostPosted: 02/01/20 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

DePaul is UConn's signature win on the season. If they struggle in the BEast, UConn's resume suffers accordingly.

More of that silly RPI again?

PostPosted: 02/01/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:

More of that silly RPI again?

By most any measure UConn's best win is DePaul. Even Massey says so.

PostPosted: 02/15/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hold out meager hope UConn continues its FF-appearance streak. For that to happen, imo, it has to be placed in Fort Wayne.

So, how can that happen?

If Maryland and UConn both run the table and the ACC/PAC12 teams (not Oregon) continue to pick each other off, might Terps/CT be #1/2 in FW?

Maryland would have been hot down the stretch and would have avenged all losses other than to SCar on Nov. 10th.
ETA: Oops, I missed their loss at NC ST Dec. 5th.

UConn makes its flimsy case of no "bad losses" to be the overall 5 to Maryland's 4.

Any takers? Smile

PostPosted: 02/17/20 12:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wanna thank this team for not, so far, blowing the consecutive loss streak.

PostPosted: 02/17/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I just wanna thank this team for not, so far, blowing the consecutive loss streak.

barring multiple injuries, I think you're safe there.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/18/20 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:

barring multiple injuries, I think you're safe there.

My "pessimistic" preseason outlook had these last 2 games circled as a spot where that streak might end. As the 1st qtr unfolded, I wasn't feeling too good. Confused

You may be correct, but with this team, nothing can be taken for granted imo.

PostPosted: 02/18/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
My "pessimistic" preseason outlook....

YOU!?? "Pessimistic"....? Shocked You've GOT to be kidding.... Laughing

PostPosted: 02/18/20 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
My "pessimistic" preseason outlook....

YOU!?? "Pessimistic"....? Shocked You've GOT to be kidding.... Laughing

Ha, mr sunshine, ha!

I go into a season with both a best and worst-case scenario.

Somewhere on these pages I hoped CT would have 3 losses this year. That was my best case. Looks like I'll be 1 off- but it's a very big one.

PostPosted: 02/22/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't believe it's senior day 2020. I feel like it was just yesterday that Crystal hit that bank shot to seal a win against Baylor early in the 2016-2017 season. I would dare say that no top-5 recruit has had a more frustrating career as she has. She's been a very good player, has certainly gotten better over the years, and has been a great representative of UCONN women's basketball. I can't wait to see what she will do in the W.

This season has flown by.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/24/20 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
I can't believe it's senior day 2020. I feel like it was just yesterday that Crystal hit that bank shot to seal a win against Baylor early in the 2016-2017 season. I would dare say that no top-5 recruit has had a more frustrating career as she has. She's been a very good player, has certainly gotten better over the years, and has been a great representative of UCONN women's basketball. I can't wait to see what she will do in the W.

Joyner Holmes (same HS class)
http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2016

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/24/20 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/rankings/_/class/2016

I was speaking only of UCONN players. Compared to most top-5 HS recruits, CD has had a great career.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/24/20 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

.....and you know my feelings on Joyner Holmes. She should be the poster child of picking the wrong school. Now, some blame clearly has to be on Holmes, but Aston's inability to coach and make players better is on full display here. When Joyner was a freshman, I thought she'd be National POY in this, her senior season. She just has so much talent. I think with the right mindset and work ethic, she could be the steal of this years draft.

In the pro game, I would take her every single day over Ruth Hebard.

Speebs56

PostPosted: 03/12/20 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA tournament is cancelled. So UConn's consecutive final four streak may not be over...there's always next year!

Such a sad way to end the season, especially for the seniors.

Crying or Very sad

RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/12/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ucbart wrote:

.....and you know my feelings on Joyner Holmes. She should be the poster child of picking the wrong school. Now, some blame clearly has to be on Holmes, but Aston's inability to coach and make players better is on full display here. When Joyner was a freshman, I thought she'd be National POY in this, her senior season. She just has so much talent. I think with the right mindset and work ethic, she could be the steal of this years draft.

In the pro game, I would take her every single day over Ruth Hebard.

There's more to a basketball team than what you see happening on the floor. You do know that Tina Thompson was an assistant coach there for 2 or so years don't you? Visit with a college basketball coach in your area and s/he will enlighten you on all the facets of the subject. You might be surprised.

Genero36

PostPosted: 03/12/20 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: