SEA
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
WAS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 55

Shades

PostPosted: 01/29/20 10:20 am    ::: Where will Bonner end up this season? Reply Reply with quote

Where will Bonner end up this season?

10-day poll

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
miller40

PostPosted: 01/29/20 1:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Bonner will want to move closer to Dupree (Indianapolis) to more easily be able to co-parent during the season. If she goes anywhere, that would have to be the only reason since she seems to adore the Phoenix franchise.

Chicago, perhaps? Close enough to Indianapolis.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/29/20 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Guess Phoenix. Dupree is at end of career so why change homes. Stay and retire warm.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/29/20 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is there any reason to think she won't be in Phoenix?

Randy

PostPosted: 01/29/20 3:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

I see none. It has been proven time and again, a star player can demand a trade to wherever they want to go in the WNBA. If she wanted out she could have demanded it a long time ago. If she were to leave it probably would be a case where another team offers her say 3 years while the Merc only wanted to offer two. The Mercury don't seem to mind keeping players around until after they are too old (e.g. Lyttle, Little) so I think she stays.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/29/20 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We've seen some real top-end players allowed to become true unrestricted free agents this offseason, despite their teams having their core designation available. Delle Donne, Meesseman and Toliver in Washington, Vandersloot in Chicago, Bird in Seattle if you still count her, McCoughtry in Atlanta depending on how you feel about their reasons for that one. In most of those cases, it's presumably because the team is so sure the player isn't going anywhere that coring is unnecessary. Bonner, on the other hand, is one of the rare players to actually hit the limit for coring and therefore the team didn't even have the option. One might wonder why they felt the need to core her so many times if she wouldn't have wanted to leave as a true UFA anyway.

PostPosted: 01/29/20 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
We've seen some real top-end players allowed to become true unrestricted free agents this offseason, despite their teams having their core designation available. Delle Donne, Meesseman and Toliver in Washington, Vandersloot in Chicago, Bird in Seattle if you still count her, McCoughtry in Atlanta depending on how you feel about their reasons for that one. In most of those cases, it's presumably because the team is so sure the player isn't going anywhere that coring is unnecessary. Bonner, on the other hand, is one of the rare players to actually hit the limit for coring and therefore the team didn't even have the option. One might wonder why they felt the need to core her so many times if she wouldn't have wanted to leave as a true UFA anyway.

That's a fair point.

miller40

PostPosted: 01/29/20 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Like I said, I think the only reason that would sway her is wanting to be closer to her children's other parent in order to more easily co-parent and raise their daughters. Even if Dupree is at the end of her career, family matters a lot to some people -- especially when the off season sees them apart for significant stretches of time.

Other than that, I see no reason. But it is also a fairly big reason. Hard to say, since it's not a basketball-oriented decision.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 01/29/20 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It is a good argument but I can think of two reasons: 1. Better pay for a core player vs non-core. 2. To make sure Bonner knows she is valued by the organization.

Phoenix has done a lot of things to show respect for their players and to make it easier. The fact that they had a nursery even before the CBA required childcare support is one way they showed that last season.

If money is the primary motivation, then I think it is a slam dunk. Nobody else can offer her as much as Phoenix. But if her motivation is something else anything can happen.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/30/20 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
It is a good argument but I can think of two reasons: 1. Better pay for a core player vs non-core. 2. To make sure Bonner knows she is valued by the organization.

1 isn't true until the final, 4th year of coring last season. Otherwise it's been the same max for a vet or a cored player since the first time they did it to her in 2015. 2 seems questionable. Couldn't giving her the freedom to choose her own destination be considered 'valuing' her just as easily?

sportsfan48 wrote:
If money is the primary motivation, then I think it is a slam dunk. Nobody else can offer her as much as Phoenix.

Except via the 'demand a sign-and-trade' method I mentioned elsewhere. She's just barely young/good enough that I could imagine someone being willing to give her 4yrs/215k and work out some kind of deal with Phoenix. Would require the Mercury to be willing to do it, of course.

PostPosted: 01/30/20 11:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Guess Phoenix. Dupree is at end of career so why change homes. Stay and retire warm.

More like stay and retire HOT!!! Phx can get up to 120 degrees in the summer time!!!

shontay33

PostPosted: 01/30/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

I see none. It has been proven time and again, a star player can demand a trade to wherever they want to go in the WNBA. If she wanted out she could have demanded it a long time ago. If she were to leave it probably would be a case where another team offers her say 3 years while the Merc only wanted to offer two. The Mercury don't seem to mind keeping players around until after they are too old (e.g. Lyttle, Little) so I think she stays.

Bonner will never get her just due in Phoenix because it has always been DT's team even when she doesnt play most of the season. I would hope that Bonner would move on at this point. She already has championships. The next big thing for her to prove that she can be the go to player on a team which I think she is very capable of. I hope that she goes to Indiana. They could definatley use her as another scoring option. Most of all, she would be able to see her children instead of them spending some time in Phoenix and then spend time elsewhere.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: