RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Mike Pompeo Takes on NPR's Mary Louise Kelly...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/24/20 8:18 pm    ::: Mike Pompeo Takes on NPR's Mary Louise Kelly... Reply Reply with quote

and came away looking like the 'Trump's-dick-up-his-ass' fool that he is. Very Happy

I heard a little of this on the radio on my way home earlier. I missed the beginning.

He got pissed. She didn't back off. She was never disrespectful or shouting.

There was a short bit after the interview (they didn't include this part with the clip) where a couple of Mary Louise's co-workers were talking about her and basically said that he took on the wrong person. They said that she has emails that went over the agenda of the interview.

Link to broadcast:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/799244678/pompeo-wont-say-whether-he-owes-yovanovitch-an-apology-i-ve-done-what-s-right

Transcript:

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/24/798579754/transcript-nprs-full-interview-with-secretary-of-state-mike-pompeo

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/25/20 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Borrowing a play from his boss's playbook:

Quote:
"NPR reporter Mary Louise Kelly lied to me, twice," Pompeo said in a statement released by the State Department. "First, last month, in setting up our interview and, then again yesterday, in agreeing to have our post-interview off the record."

Quote:
Pompeo, in his Saturday statement, suggested Kelly, a long-time reporter, did not correctly identify the location of Ukraine on the map. "It is worth noting that Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine," Pompeo's statement said.

Note to Pompeo: If you're going to lie about something, at least make it plausible. Bangladesh?? Over by India, Bangladesh?? Yeah, I'm sure she mistook that tiny country for the much larger Ukraine. Over 4 times as large you dumb ass!!!!

FWIW, from Wikipedia:

Quote:
Ukraine...is a country in Eastern Europe.[7] It is bordered by Russia to the north-east.... Ukraine is currently in a territorial dispute with Russia over the Crimean Peninsula, which Russia annexed in 2014.[8] Including Crimea, Ukraine has an area of...233,062 sq mi),[9] making it both the largest country entirely within Europe and the 46th largest country in the world.

&
Quote:
Bangladesh...is a country in South Asia. It is the world's 8th-most populous country with nearly 163 million people,[6][7] and is the 92nd-largest country in land area, spanning 56,980 sq mi.

Quote:
"It is shameful that this reporter chose to violate the basic rules of journalism and decency," Pompeo added. "This is another example of how unhinged the media has become in its quest to hurt President Trump and this Administration."

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Get that man some anti-delusional meds.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/25/pompeo-npr-host-lied-agreed-keep-conversation-off-record/4574653002/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/25/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For those un-familiar with with Mary Louise Kelly, the woman is flat-out intelligent!!!!!!! She has a MASTERS in European Studies!!! That includes Ukraine!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's some of her Wikipedia info:

Kelly graduated magna cum laude from Harvard University in 1993, with degrees in Government and French Literature.

In 1995 she completed her masters in European Studies at Cambridge University (Emmanuel College) in England.

The following year, Kelly moved back to the UK, working as a host, foreign correspondent and senior producer for the BBC World Service, and as a producer at CNN in London. Kelly reported from the Afghan-Pakistan border, radical Hamburg mosques, Kosovo refugee camps and the deck of an aircraft carrier. At the BBC, she covered the peace talks that ended decades of violence in Northern Ireland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Louise_Kelly

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/26/20 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Atlantic's take:

Quote:
Pompeo is sophisticated. He is an intelligent man who 10 years ago left his job selling oil-rig parts, and who has now served the United States as director of the Central Intelligence Agency and as secretary of state. He is therefore in a special (but not small) category of interview subjects who employ people to do nothing but manage their media requests and brief them on how their interviews and media relations should go, and who therefore are expected to know how journalists work. If I interview a person who has never spoken with a journalist before, I am ethically obliged to make sure that person knows that I am a writer and will use any details of our interview for my report, unless we agree to keep those details off-limits. I’ll give a short explanation of what “on the record” means, and how to ask to go off the record. But when I interview a politician who has had a tape recorder thrust under his chin hundreds of times before, I assume he knows I am there on behalf of my readers, and will not be chatting privately with him unless we agree, explicitly, to do so.

Quote:
Pompeo ended his response by saying, archly, that “Bangladesh is NOT Ukraine”—implying that Kelly misidentified Bangladesh as Ukraine. This stupid, completely implausible dig against Kelly shreds his credibility in two ways. First, it asks us to believe that Kelly, a veteran foreign correspondent, knows less geography than an attentive high-school social-studies student. Second, by implying this lie rather than stating it, Pompeo sounds like exactly the type of coward who would whine that he had been wronged, to shirk responsibility for his unforced errors.

Quote:
He could prove his case by producing messages confirming that NPR agreed to an off-the-record conversation after the interview. These agreements, even if they were worked out orally with NPR, may have been preserved in dated memoranda by his staff, preparing him for the conversation. But I suspect that his presumption of secrecy, and of his ability to upbraid a reporter without her telling the world about his indiscretion, is yet another instance of incompetence and arrogance mixed together. Pompeo, not Kelly, is making us all drink this familiar and bitter brew.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/01/why-journalists-believe-mary-louise-kelly/605491/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: