RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

NBA Legend Names Three Women Who Could Play In NBA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 01/22/20 10:07 am    ::: NBA Legend Names Three Women Who Could Play In NBA Reply Reply with quote

Kobe Bryant backs women to play in NBA 'right now'

Quote:
Speaking exclusively to CNN, the LA Lakers legend said: "I think there are a couple of players who could play in the NBA right now honestly.
"There's a lot of players with a lot of skill that could do it."

Bryant went on to name three WNBA ( Women's National Basketball Association) stars who he believes could make the jump into the men's league.

"Diana Taurasi, Maya Moore, Elena Della Donne. There's a lot of great players out there so they could certainly keep up with them," he said.

It's perhaps no surprise that Bryant named Taurasi as one of his picks to succeed in the NBA.

The 2004 first overall pick in the WNBA Draft - and 2009 WNBA MVP - has been the WNBA all-time leading scorer since June 2017, is a nine-time WNBA All-Star and is a three-time WNBA champion with Phoenix Mercury.

Her nickname is White Mamba, a derivative of Bryant's own nickname 'Black Mamba', owing to her habit of scoring in clutch situations.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/sport/kobe-bryant-women-nba-spt-intl/index.html

PostPosted: 01/22/20 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I distinctly remember DT vehemently disagreeing years back. Is Kobe Bryant saying this to get her asked more just to annoy her further? Laughing

I lack the imagination to have an idea how exactly this would work out -- though Taurasi's experience sounds more reliable than Kobe's opinion -- but either way, if a woman player ever makes it to an NBA game, it would get me to watch more NBA games.

Ann Meyers seems to be a fan of the idea, has expressed her enthusiasm for that during Mercury games, even as she never made the Pacers roster. I think she ought to have a rather unique perspective on this, and on how immense a challenge it is going to be, so there's that.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/22/20 12:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think it's completely impossible, but I do think he's completely wrong. Delle Donne's a smallish 2-guard in the NBA; who the hell is she guarding without being torn to pieces on every possession? Maya would be small for a point guard.

I also don't think it's of benefit to the women's game to bring up the suggestion and comparison. Who cares? People have occasionally suggested Serena Williams could compete with some of the professional male players, but no one's ever seriously suggested she should play on the men's tour. And that's in an individual, non-contact sport. As Taurasi has said when asked over the years, the physical differences just make a huge difference. Let's celebrate the women for their skill, not make pointless comparisons.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't think it's completely impossible, but I do think he's completely wrong. Delle Donne's a smallish 2-guard in the NBA; who the hell is she guarding without being torn to pieces on every possession? Maya would be small for a point guard.

I also don't think it's of benefit to the women's game to bring up the suggestion and comparison. Who cares? People have occasionally suggested Serena Williams could compete with some of the professional male players, but no one's ever seriously suggested she should play on the men's tour. And that's in an individual, non-contact sport. As Taurasi has said when asked over the years, the physical differences just make a huge difference. Let's celebrate the women for their skill, not make pointless comparisons.

I agree. I wonder if Kobe is making the statement to boost the support for the women and show that the W is just as viable as the NBA. This generation of NBA players have certainly been more supportive than any other towards the league.

The issue has and will always be physical. The women are more fundamentally sound as they have been for the first 23 years. It's a matter of physicality. Catchings (in her prime) is the closest that I can think of as physically gifted enough to make an NBA roster and that might not be enough. I do think some historic post players can make plays if drawn up for them (i.e. Lisa Leslie, Yo Griffith, Cheryl Miller).

PostPosted: 01/22/20 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But Catch was a 3/4. She's a similar size to someone like Chris Paul, a fairly diminutive NBA point guard. That's the sort of position where I could see a hypothetical freakishly gifted female in the men's game - someone who's a big perimeter player in the women's game but skilled and athletic enough to be a guard in the men's. But I don't think we've seen that person exist yet. Players like Leslie and Griffith were 6-5 on a good day. That makes them smaller than, for example, Kobe. Is LLL gonna switch to the 2 when she plays against the guys?

PostPosted: 01/22/20 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This seems rather silly and unfruitful, and the natural type of conversation that comes from making a man the spokesperson for women’s basketball.

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/22/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
But Catch was a 3/4. She's a similar size to someone like Chris Paul, a fairly diminutive NBA point guard. That's the sort of position where I could see a hypothetical freakishly gifted female in the men's game - someone who's a big perimeter player in the women's game but skilled and athletic enough to be a guard in the men's. But I don't think we've seen that person exist yet. Players like Leslie and Griffith were 6-5 on a good day. That makes them smaller than, for example, Kobe. Is LLL gonna switch to the 2 when she plays against the guys?

I might be biased in favor of Leslie because I've actually seen her (even though in pick-up) take an NBA player or two off the dribble and go the basket. I've seen Tina Thompson do it too.

PostPosted: 01/22/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This entire conversation is ridiculous. Firstly, because Kobe Bryant is so totally the wrong messenger for this; I get that his heart is in the right place, but... no. Off the top of my head, only Derrick Rose and Gilbert Arenas would be worse NBA players to have as the messengers for something like this.

Secondly,
Richyyy wrote:
But Catch was a 3/4. She's a similar size to someone like Chris Paul, a fairly diminutive NBA point guard...

Catchings is legitimately bigger (or, at least, taller) than Chris Paul. I mean, you are right about Paul being "diminutive," relative to his peers: he's billed at 6'0", but he's actually closer to 5'10". What I think will work against a woman playing in the NBA, more than anything else, is the speed. There are definitely women in the WNBA who have the skill level, and/or are good enough shooters/scorers to play in the NBA on offense (in very limited, very specific roles), but I can't see any player in the WNBA today, or even at all (with the possible exceptions of Prime!Catchings or Prime!Swoopes) who wouldn't get absolutely cooked on the defensive end.

Genero36 wrote:
I might be biased in favor of Leslie because I've actually seen her (even though in pick-up) take an NBA player or two off the dribble and go the basket. I've seen Tina Thompson do it too.

Who was playing help defense in that scenario? Ted from Accounts Payable, or Rudy Gobert?

... And thirdly, fuck that guy! Maybe the rest of you operate in spaces where you're only interacting with other WBB fans, but I don't. Basically my entire internet experience, outside of rebkell, involves me being either the only, or one of less than five WBB fans in that space. And all Kobe's comments are going to is invite the fuckboys I have to deal with everywhere else to give their unsolicited headass opinions about the WNBA.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
toad455

PostPosted: 01/22/20 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Moore and Taurasi(in her prime?) would have to be PGs. As skilled as EDD, don't think she could handle the more physical nature of the NBA. It's still a stretch though.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/22/20 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Moore and Taurasi(in her prime?) would have to be PGs. As skilled as EDD, don't think she could handle the more physical nature of the NBA. It's still a stretch though.

Her body can barely even handle the nature of the WNBA, which plays not even half the amount of games... Confused

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/22/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
Genero36 wrote:

Who was playing help defense in that scenario? Ted from Accounts Payable, or Rudy Gobert?

Neither. It was average NBA players who name I can't remember. This was mid 2000's.

PostPosted: 01/23/20 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
This seems rather silly and unfruitful, and the natural type of conversation that comes from making a man the spokesperson for women’s basketball.

Kobe Bryant, Accused Rapist, Doesn’t Get to Use Women’s Sports as His Redemption Arc
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryant-accused-rapist-doesnt-get-to-use-womens-sports-as-his-redemption-arc

Is this some form of "community service" for him? I'm disgusted that he rates publicity for such nonsense.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/23/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

It's telling that he picked the best three shooters in the game. IMO, which is where he is coming from. I think if asked, he'd tell you he thinks those three players are better shooters than 90% of the NBA (if not more).

I think if he were to seriously think about the wear and tear on those women's bodies, and defensive issues..he'd end up walking back what he said. But I think his point is that their skillset is the same as high level NBA players.

Kobe Bryant's love for Taurasi remains one of my favorite basketball things.

PostPosted: 01/24/20 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
miller40 wrote:

Kobe Bryant, Accused Rapist, Doesn’t Get to Use Women’s Sports as His Redemption Arc
https://www.thedailybeast.com/kobe-bryant-accused-rapist-doesnt-get-to-use-womens-sports-as-his-redemption-arc

Is this some form of "community service" for him? I'm disgusted that he rates publicity for such nonsense.

Given that his interest in women’s basketball and his support for the league occurred long before any thing happened in Colorado I don’t see how it can be concluded that plays a part into what he is doing now. Yes he is more public now, but how much of that has to do with a change in the times and media and less with anything he is personally trying to do. When I used to go to Sparks games in the early 2000s he would be at the games, he went on the road to watch some playoff games and if I remember correctly he worked out with Lisa Leslie and other Sparks during the off season. So you can feel whatever you want about him and his actions, but how can you concluded anything about his reasons why without looking at him and his history first.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 01/24/20 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It's telling that he picked the best three shooters in the game. IMO, which is where he is coming from. I think if asked, he'd tell you he thinks those three players are better shooters than 90% of the NBA (if not more).

I think if he were to seriously think about the wear and tear on those women's bodies, and defensive issues..he'd end up walking back what he said. But I think his point is that their skillset is the same as high level NBA players.

All three of those players he mention and any other WNBA players wouldn't be better shooters than 90% of the NBA if they played against NBA players, G-League players, Euroleague, or Men's college basketball players.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/25/20 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

All three of those players he mention and any other WNBA players wouldn't be better shooters than 90% of the NBA if they played against NBA players, G-League players, Euroleague, or Men's college basketball players.

Shooting is a skill. If you put those three in a shooting competition, they’d beT at least 90% of the league.

I think Kobe’s point is skill set, and he just didn’t think deeply enough about physical differences.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 8:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure he just said that stuff for the benefit of his own daughter. No other explanation makes sense to me. In that context I can process it. There's certainly no reason for any player, male or female, not to aspire to be in the NBA.
Maybe he thinks it was a good thing to say. IMO it wasn't. Not helpful at all. Why drag up this pointless comparison again? When a WNBA player can actually complete in the NBA they probably will. (Why wouldn't they? It would be a cool thing and no doubt very lucrative too)
If an NBA player is going to be all pro-women I would also rather it was pretty much anyone other than Kobe "I'm so sorry that your idea of sexual consent is different to mine" Bryant.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s promotional. Why knock the guy for trying to help? That question was a no-win situation for him and he took the best route.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/25/20 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
It’s promotional. Why knock the guy for trying to help? That question was a no-win situation for him and he took the best route.

I'm a Kobe fan, but this simply isn't true. None of those three, even in their primes, could start or even get off the bench for a P5 men's team, and most likely not for any college men's team.

So to me the problem is overselling the product and leading people to expect more than they'll get. As I was told by a WNBA player when I did a long story on this for SLAM, WNBA players match up well against good high school players, because then the WNBA players' superior skills are not erased by size and athleticism.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Davis4632 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Shooting is a skill. If you put those three in a shooting competition, they’d beT at least 90% of the league.

I think Kobe’s point is skill set, and he just didn’t think deeply enough about physical differences.

He wasn't taking about those WNBA players beating NBA players in a shooting competition though. He was talking about them being able to play in the NBA. I'm quite sure there's some G League players and some Asia and Euro League players that can beat some NBA players in a shooting competition. The issue is those male players who are in those leagues can't get those shoots off efficiently against NBA players. Most of the young players make it to the league based on potential (which is more than just hitting threes). Some pan out, some don't. Even the worst NBA bench warmers have a successful professional basketball career overseas.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/20 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Shades wrote:

I'm a Kobe fan, but this simply isn't true. None of those three, even in their primes, could start or even get off the bench for a P5 men's team, and most likely not for any college men's team.

So knock the reporter who asked the question. Don’t expect Kobe to give the cynical answer you believe you would give under the same situation and thus come off as misogynistic. Kobe has an image to preserve. You don’t give a crap.

ClayK wrote:
So to me the problem is overselling the product and leading people to expect more than they'll get.

I don’t think overselling the WNBA is a problem anybody has to worry about.

ClayK wrote:
As I was told by a WNBA player when I did a long story on this for SLAM, WNBA players match up well against good high school players, because then the WNBA players' superior skills are not erased by size and athleticism.

Do you still write stories for SLAM?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 01/26/20 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades being Shades ... I'd try to answer but there's not much point.

PostPosted: 01/26/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RIP Kobe Shocked Crying or Very sad

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: