RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cable, streaming services to watch bball games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 01/24/20 4:15 pm    ::: Cable, streaming services to watch bball games Reply Reply with quote

Hi all, I just called my cable provider to see about adding Pac 12 and ACC to my existing cable packages and it's basically not going to happen.

I'm an ESPN+ subscriber and I'm wondering if you know a hack or a simpler way to watch ACC or Pac-12 bball? I have the Pac 12 app and I get limited free access to games, but I've seen you all mention streaming services and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm missing out on Pac 12 and ACC hoops and it's...not great.

THANK YOU for helping this relative luddite out.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/24/20 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ok it sounds like Sling TV is the answer. Are you happy with it? How much do you pay?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/24/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What other channels are important for you?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/24/20 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
ok it sounds like Sling TV is the answer. Are you happy with it? How much do you pay?

We started out with SlingTV after we first cut cable. But I was much happier with YouTubeTV - the big advantages for me were that local channels were included (not the case with SlingTV and our antenna was very unreliable) and unlimited cloud DVR. I have the ACC network but do not have the PAC 12 network so that wouldn't help you for PAC 12 hoops.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/25/20 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank you. Appreciate the feedback.

Yes, I'm looking for Pac 12 and ACC as I already have Big Ten, SEC and ESPN family (ESPNU, ESPN 3, ESPN+ etc).

Tried SlingTV and it's pretty bad. It's cut out two games with a minute left - or in the instance of Stanford vs. Colorado, it cut out and disappeared (i.e. no longer available in the app) after Hollingshed hit the three that I thought won the game for Colorado. Ugh.

Well, it was worth a shot!

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I watched the entire game live to the bitter (for Buffs) end on Sling. I wonder why yours cut out?

I have both youtube and sling, but i piggyback on my sister's youtube- it gives 5 (i believe) additional satellite accounts at no charge. I also have espn+.

Those services cover 98% (not official!) of Top 25 WCB games, and many of the rest can be streamed from the team website schedule page.

PostPosted: 01/25/20 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I watched the entire game live to the bitter (for Buffs) end on Sling. I wonder why yours cut out?

I have both youtube and sling, but i piggyback on my sister's youtube- it gives 5 (i believe) additional satellite accounts at no charge. I also have espn+.

Those services cover 98% (not official!) of Top 25 WCB games, and many of the rest can be streamed from the team website schedule page.

Maybe it was my Internet. Maybe I'm just being fussy because I wanted Colorado to pull that one out. Very Happy

Thanks for the feedback. The ESPN channels are just not enough for my junkiness - really enjoyed the Pac12 showdowns and I've really missed not having the ACC as much because of this new network.

I'll try Sling for a bit and see how it pans out.

taropatch

PostPosted: 11/14/20 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am now test driving Hulu for streaming in preparation for the WBB season. If there is no season, then goodbye to Hulu which runs $57/month. This service loses the picture a lot but it does continue where it leaves off, because it buffers. These services are getting so expensive . Crap! YouTube TV is up to $65 now. Add that to your internet bill and the bill looks like your old cable bill prior to cutting the cord. Just a heads up to let you know that the Hulu stream craps out a lot. There are suggestions on the net that supposedly can fix the problem but I haven't tried them except clearing the cache. Wishing you all a WBB season this year.

willtalk

PostPosted: 11/14/20 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I usually pick up sling tv for basketball season. I don't watch much other cable programing. the good thing about sling is that it gives you a game out of each region for the Pac 12. That would be Washingtom, Oregon, Bay Area, mountain, the arizona region and the southern cal region. That is six separate regions with each one broadcasting a separate game. Most Cable outlets only give you a Naional and a local broadcast.

PostPosted: 11/14/20 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just got the price hike for YouTube TV and am not thrilled. It still has the best interface though IMO and main reason I kept them. Thinking about switching to Sling but last time I had them the Big Ten football & men's bball games were blacked out on FS1 because I am not in the Big Ten footprint. Does anyone know if this is still the case?

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/15/20 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we have dish and get P12 and most of the conference channels along with all the ESPN channels. It's not cheap but it works...and really is about our only choice here in the boondocks.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/16/20 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Have to subscribe to a crappy outfit called FloSports to get CAA games. I haven't heard yet whether my application for tickets to non-conference games has been accepted. if not I will have to subscribe to that outfit. Not happy.

PostPosted: 11/16/20 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Have to subscribe to a crappy outfit called FloSports to get CAA games. I haven't heard yet whether my application for tickets to non-conference games has been accepted. if not I will have to subscribe to that outfit. Not happy.

I had never heard of them until I saw they are airing pretty much all the games happening at the Mohegan Sun, aka "Bubbleville". There are a handful of women's games there but mostly men. I was going to google them but figured I would see what your experience was with them in the past. Thank you.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/16/20 6:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU has just announced that due to new state regulations limiting indoor gatherings to 25 people, there will be no spectators at any men's or women's basketball games in our lovely new arena this year. This is going to be very weird indeed. The men's team has a new coach and the women's team looks extremely good. I guess we will be coughing up for FloSports. Ugh.

PostPosted: 11/16/20 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I looked into FloSports a couple of years ago because they'd cover some of the preseason tournaments. Here's why I didnt subscribe.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/profile/digital-media/flosports-inc-0825-1000108975/complaints

Last edited by taropatch on 11/16/20 11:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
taropatch

PostPosted: 11/16/20 11:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The greed of streaming services knows no bounds. They have us by the balls. Just got word that Hulu which I am trying for the first time is raising their rates from $54 to $65 (matching YouTube TV) in December. Because I have experience with YouTube TV and liked it, I will very likely go back to them. SMH

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/17/20 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

taropatch wrote:
I looked into FloSports a couple of years ago because they'd cover some of the preseason tournaments. Here's why I didnt subscribe.

https://www.bbb.org/us/tx/austin/profile/digital-media/flosports-inc-0825-1000108975/complaints

Wow!! It is the same issue over and over and over. They seem like an absolutely horrible company! I don't want anything to do with them. They clearly have no ethics whatsoever.

You sign up for what you think is $12.50/mo. They charge you an annual rate of $150 right off the bat. You don't realize it and watch a little. Then you find out, and immediately call to cancel. Because you actually used the service, you aren't eligible for a full refund. So, they convert you to their "discontinued" $29.99/mo plan and issue a partial refund. The classic bait and switch. So, they make $30 off you for watching a few hours of whatever you signed up for. But people are just happy to get their $120 back. Ridiculous.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/17/20 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FloSports used to have an option to watch a single preseason tournament for a one-time price...I think it was ~$15-19. I take it that option has gone away?

If the CAA or other league has a contract with them, I'd start raising hell with the member schools' ADs and the league office.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: