RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New CBA for 2020-2027
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/24/20 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBA has now been officially signed, and can be DOWNLOADED HERE.

Initial analysis by HerHoopStats:
article link

PostPosted: 01/24/20 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
CBA has now been officially signed, and can be DOWNLOADED HERE.

Initial analysis by HerHoopStats:
article link

Only 350 pages.......

Shades

PostPosted: 01/24/20 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This should come in handy....

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/24/20 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprising to see that Allison Feastor (sic) was cored three times.

PostPosted: 01/24/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

Teams got two core designations per year for a while and Feaster was pretty good by Charlotte standards

PostPosted: 01/25/20 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:

"Allison Feastor"
"Betty Lenox"
"Delisha Milton"
"Deana Nolan"

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

This, from an official WNBA document? #OnBrand

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/25/20 2:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Teams got two core designations per year for a while and Feaster was pretty good by Charlotte standards

Certainly as good as the version of Candice Dupree that the Fever have cored for this season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/26/20 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Certainly as good as the version of Candice Dupree that the Fever have cored for this season.

Speaking of Dupree, she was cored in 2018, and then signed a multi-year deal. So because she did that under her cored designation, each year of her contract thereafter proceeded to count towards her core service? Apparently it's not the case that cored players could only sign one-year deals; I just didn't know that that's how signing multi-year contracts under a core designation works or can work, but someone correct me if I'm wrong in my attempt to make sense of this.

Additionally, hypothetically speaking, does that mean that Dupree will not be eligible to be cored once her current deal expires after this coming season (if that's what the "(2020)" listed with her core service years in fact means) because she'll have completed three years of core service, despite only having been cored once (according to the table above)? And if so, does it also mean that Indiana cannot core anyone in 2020?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/26/20 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
pilight wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Speaking of Dupree, she was cored in 2018, and then signed a multi-year deal. So because she did that under her cored designation, each year of her contract thereafter proceeded to count towards her core service? Apparently it's not the case that cored players could only sign one-year deals; I just didn't know that that's how signing multi-year contracts under a core designation works or can work, but someone correct me if I'm wrong in my attempt to make sense of this.

Additionally, hypothetically speaking, does that mean that Dupree will not be eligible to be cored once her current deal expires after this coming season (if that's what the "(2020)" listed with her core service years in fact means) because she'll have completed three years of core service, despite only having been cored once (according to the table above)? And if so, does it also mean that Indiana cannot core anyone in 2020?

Yes, all of that's right Smile. When you get cored it automatically comes with a one-year max offer, but you're allowed to negotiate up to the usual four-year limit (and don't necessarily have to sign for max money in each of those years). However any deal signed when the player is cored means the player stays as the team's core designated player for the length of the deal - unless she retires or is traded to another team, in which case the team gets its core designation back.

It's pretty common to just sign the core qualifying offer for the one-year max when a player gets cored, because coring is often done to make sure a player doesn't go anywhere when they might've wanted to leave. And a player like that often wants to knock those years off and keep their options open. But locking in multi-year money is also fairly standard, cored or not. Fortunately for Indiana, they don't have any free agents they'd want to use the core designation on this offseason anyway.

PostPosted: 01/26/20 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is another interesting usage for the core designation now too, where a player might actually want to be cored.

To qualify for the super-max contracts as a re-signing vet, you need to have played out your contract and have played for your previous team for at least 2 years (unless you were moved by trade mid-contact). But if I had signed on a one-year contract with a new team as an UFA, I would not be eligible for the suoer-max until I played another season with the team.

However, if I were to be cored for a year after that first season, I would make the super-max for that year, and then would qualify to sign a full contract at that higher rate thereafter...

PostPosted: 01/26/20 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In other words, players like Bonner get more for staying with their last team.

What happens in a sign and trade to another team? They have to sign for a lower amount than new max?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
justintyme

PostPosted: 01/26/20 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
In other words, players like Bonner get more for staying with their last team.

What happens in a sign and trade to another team? They have to sign for a lower amount than new max?

No. A sign and trade would allow the player to make the super-max on their new team (assuming it's legal, and I can't see anything out there saying it's not), as they would be offically signing the contact with their old team and thus meet all the requirements to fall under that payscale. That contract then would be traded as-is to the new team.

This would theoretically give teams a chance to recover some value for losing high end players in UFA. It would be in the UFA interest to allow a sign-and-trade if it can be worked out (30k is not insignificant difference) and then the player's old team could at least get something in return.

PostPosted: 01/26/20 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As far as I can find (and I did some asking around as well) a sign-and-trade for a UFA is perfectly legal. It's just never been done before in this league because the difference was so small it wasn't worth the hassle (and whatever you'd have to give up in trade). Obviously, the player's previous team would have to be willing to get involved. They could say "Nope, if you want the higher max, you have to sign it with us and stay here." But if the player convinces them that her second choice is to leave and sign for the lower max somewhere else anyway, then her previous team could at least get something out of it by working on the sign-and-trade. What anyone's willing to give up in a deal like that obviously remains to be seen.

PostPosted: 01/27/20 2:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yes, all of that's right Smile. When you get cored it automatically comes with a one-year max offer, but you're allowed to negotiate up to the usual four-year limit (and don't necessarily have to sign for max money in each of those years). However any deal signed when the player is cored means the player stays as the team's core designated player for the length of the deal - unless she retires or is traded to another team, in which case the team gets its core designation back.

It's pretty common to just sign the core qualifying offer for the one-year max when a player gets cored, because coring is often done to make sure a player doesn't go anywhere when they might've wanted to leave. And a player like that often wants to knock those years off and keep their options open. But locking in multi-year money is also fairly standard, cored or not. Fortunately for Indiana, they don't have any free agents they'd want to use the core designation on this offseason anyway.

Thanks for the confirmation, Richyyy! You're our walking encyclopedia when it comes to this stuff Very Happy

Looks like the same thing appears to apply to Connecticut and Jasmine Thomas, again going off of that table. If that's the case, the Sun wouldn't be able to core anyone in 2020 either, which probably isn't going to matter, but... Question

Richyyy wrote:
As far as I can find (and I did some asking around as well) a sign-and-trade for a UFA is perfectly legal. It's just never been done before in this league because the difference was so small it wasn't worth the hassle (and whatever you'd have to give up in trade). Obviously, the player's previous team would have to be willing to get involved. They could say "Nope, if you want the higher max, you have to sign it with us and stay here." But if the player convinces them that her second choice is to leave and sign for the lower max somewhere else anyway, then her previous team could at least get something out of it by working on the sign-and-trade. What anyone's willing to give up in a deal like that obviously remains to be seen.

I still remember when the Storm signed Belinda Snell and Erin Phillips (presumably both UFAs at the time) back in 2011, cuz after those signings, Katie Smith had expressed desire to get traded from Washington to Seattle, in which the Storm proceeded to include Phillips as part of a 3-team trade to get Smith here (otherwise maybe the Storm would still have the aforementioned Jasmine Thomas). It had absolutely nothing to do with salary, but that's one example I can think of involving a UFA that was signed and then traded before training camps started.

mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 01/27/20 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
but that's one example I can think of involving a UFA that was signed and then traded before training camps started.

Kelsey Bone.

PostPosted: 04/04/20 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: