RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches' Seats Getting Warm, and Why
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/15/20 12:59 pm    ::: Coaches' Seats Getting Warm, and Why Reply Reply with quote

Is it too early?

Coach Flo at Auburn is my nominee. Things look pretty awful down there. Can anyone tell me why her seat shouldn't be a little warm?

PostPosted: 01/15/20 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not much dancing on the Plains this year.

https://m.facebook.com/watch/?v=2110762102318238&_rdr

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/15/20 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue is likely to miss the NCAA for the third consecutive year. I really hope that Verysp wouldn't come back after that.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/15/20 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, it's tougher to assess this year, but....

If Duke misses the tournament again, I would bet the proverbial buns are starting to burn in Durham. Not holding my breath.

Sherri needs to make the tournament this year. OU has been in a downfall and she cleared house on her staff to show her AD she's making adjustments. Time to win.

If Georgia misses two tourneys in a row, I imagine things are fine for now for Joni, but not so great next year.

Not sure how long Vanderbilt will keep Stephanie White but the W column is much better and she's recruiting at a high-ish tick.

JR Payne might start to feel some heat in Boulder, but her team has improved this year. Lynne could feel heat next year (but I like both coaches so I hope not). Staying in the conference, I think Trahk is safe for a bit but it's proving HARD to leapfrog in the Pac-12.

Agree with PUmatty that this is it for Versyp. If that job opens, that could be a domino-effect-inducing effect around the country for power jobs. Maybe.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/15/20 6:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Joni has been there long enough to put her personal stamp on the program yet. She should have at least another year or two of grace. Coach Yo has a mess down there in Oxford at the moment, but she hasn't been there very long either.

JPM should have been LONG gone outta Durham, but we all know that tune.

PostPosted: 01/15/20 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps both of the Big XII coaches in the Sunflower state are feeling their bums heat up.

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 01/16/20 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Brook Stoehr may be on the hot seat at La Tech. Just not getting it done. Most Tech fans have given up any hope of returning to being a Top 25 team, but failing to even be competitive in CUSA is a bit much. Depends on whether the admin still cares or not.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/16/20 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Sherri needs to make the tournament this year. OU has been in a downfall and she cleared house on her staff to show her AD she's making adjustments. Time to win.

I think she may have tenure, kinda like CVS but maybe not for the exact same reasons.

She was born in Oklahoma. She coached at Norman High School. Norman is where Oklahoma University is at. She’s dedicated her life to Oklahoma basketball, so now the powers that be are going to suddenly decide she’s not good enough?

It might be a different story with men’s basketball. There’s a lot of money riding on the success of their programs, but with women’s basketball, most if not all lose money. It was recently reported that the successful Louisville women’s team lost $3 million in a year. Why throw more money at paying off rich contracts? Maybe I could see it for a team with long storied history like Tennessee, but for other teams it’s tougher to me to understand.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PRballer

PostPosted: 01/17/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PRballer wrote:

I think she may have tenure, kinda like CVS but maybe not for the exact same reasons.

She was born in Oklahoma. She coached at Norman High School. Norman is where Oklahoma University is at. She’s dedicated her life to Oklahoma basketball, so now the powers that be are going to suddenly decide she’s not good enough?

It might be a different story with men’s basketball. There’s a lot of money riding on the success of their programs, but with women’s basketball, most if not all lose money. It was recently reported that the successful Louisville women’s team lost $3 million in a year. Why throw more money at paying off rich contracts? Maybe I could see it for a team with long storied history like Tennessee, but for other teams it’s tougher to me to understand.

Fair point! And she was super successful in the previous decade with her 3 Final Fours. The quick DECLINE is just so palpable, in terms of recruiting and March and attendance, which is why I thought she might need to make the tourney this year. Seat would be "warm" but not "hot" meaning I don't see her losing her job, either.

After their WVU drubbing on the road, which is impressive, I imagine if they keep up this pace they are safely in the NCAAs and she can rebound on the recruiting trail with her new staff. Coquese and Jackie are not slouches.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/20 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
After their WVU drubbing on the road, which is impressive, I imagine if they keep up this pace they are safely in the NCAAs and she can rebound on the recruiting trail with her new staff. Coquese and Jackie are not slouches.

Yeah, the worm has turned (for the worse) in Norman, but given her history and current surge, I think she's quite safe as long as she stays in the top half of the Big 12....and certainly, if they can make the Big Dance this year.

PostPosted: 01/17/20 12:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC will have three new people in the athletic department along with the new AD. The Trojans are in serious danger of finishing last in the conference and judging from their performances in Colorado and Utah, could possibly even finish without a conference win. Trakh was said to be in good favor with the former athletic department and Varsity Blues only peripherally touched his program when it was revealed that a former Wynn Resorts COO Gamal Abdelaziz got his daughter admission as a basketball player although she never ended up playing. The dates do not correspond necessarily with his tenure as coach, more Cooper.

What might hurt him more than anything is his age. He's going to be 66 and that's fairly advanced to start the heavy lifting of starting a program from scratch when you remember all the transfers from last season.

PlayBally'all

PostPosted: 01/20/20 7:42 pm    ::: Re: Coaches' Seats Getting Warm, and Why Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Is it too early?

Coach Flo at Auburn is my nominee. Things look pretty awful down there. Can anyone tell me why her seat shouldn't be a little warm?

Her seat is on FIRE! Everyone was completely stunned when she got the last extension. Her style of play simply will not work in the SEC.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 01/20/20 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
USC will have three new people in the athletic department along with the new AD. The Trojans are in serious danger of finishing last in the conference and judging from their performances in Colorado and Utah, could possibly even finish without a conference win. Trakh was said to be in good favor with the former athletic department and Varsity Blues only peripherally touched his program when it was revealed that a former Wynn Resorts COO Gamal Abdelaziz got his daughter admission as a basketball player although she never ended up playing. The dates do not correspond necessarily with his tenure as coach, more Cooper.

What might hurt him more than anything is his age. He's going to be 66 and that's fairly advanced to start the heavy lifting of starting a program from scratch when you remember all the transfers from last season.

If he manages to sweep UCLA, he might be safe for another year.

LitePal

PostPosted: 01/20/20 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC/UCLA series is over this season. UCLA with Onyenwere routed the Trojans the first time, 83-59.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/21/20 1:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much Alabama cares. This is Kristy Curry's seventh year, and she has not made a single NCAA tournament. Doesn't look good this year either.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/21/20 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I wonder how much Alabama cares. This is Kristy Curry's seventh year, and she has not made a single NCAA tournament. Doesn't look good this year either.

As long as they play Tennessee well every year, that’s probably good enough for them.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/22/20 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone have any insight on why Oklahoma took the nose dive it did? I have to expect that Kim getting hired at Baylor right when Sheri made her splash sort of hurt. Kim got hired in 2000 and that's when Oklahoma made their first Sweet 16. She was able to compete with recruits over the next 5-7 years, but they went from elite to good to mediocre after the Paris twins recruiting class rather quickly.

Thoughts?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/22/20 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Purdue is likely to miss the NCAA for the third consecutive year. I really hope that Verysp wouldn't come back after that.

From my May 8, 2019 post

Sharon Versyp took over in 2006. with her first season as Purdue's HC being 2006-2007.

In terms of her recruiting (players who signed with Purdue while she was/is the head coach), there have been 13 recruiting classes (including the 2019 class).

As far as I can tell, her best players, in terms of recruiting rankings, were:

--- Sam Ostarello (2009 - HG #15)
--- Dominique McBryde (2015 - HG #30)
--- Tiara Murphy (2015 - HG #31)
--- Lamina Cooper (2015 - HG #41)
--- Ae'Rianna Harris (2016 - HG #20)
--- Kayana Traylor (2018 - HG #41)
--- Rickie Woltman (2019 - HG #25)

Only 7 signees have been ranked in the top 50 of the ESPN/Hoopgulz/Dan Olson rankings (two others --- Samantha Woods in the HS Class of 2007 and Brittany Rayburn in the HS Class of 2008 --- were ranked 51st in their respective classes).

And yes, ESPN/Hoopgurlz/Dan Olson is only one such rating service -- and I believe it has been publishing the WBB HS player rankings since approximately 2007.

But, as a comparison, Purdue used to pull in players ranked in the top ten of Blue Star Report's and ASGR's respective rankings (Kelly Komara - 1998; Erica Valek - 2000; Cherrise Graham - 2000), as well as McDonald's All-Americans (Katie Gearlds - 2003; Erin Lawless - 2003).
*** Side note -- 2002 was the first year that a MCDAA game was held for girls HS basketball players.

As far as I can tell, in the 13 recruiting classes signed by Sharon Versyp, she has never had a McDonald's All-American player commit to her out of high school. The only MCDAA player who came into her program (not counting Gearlds and Lawless, whom she inherited) was Drey Mingo, who transferred from Maryland.

Versyp's best seasons (2006-07 and 2008-09, in which her teams made the Elite Eight both years) had the benefit of another coach's players in some part.

--- In the last 10 years, she has finished in the top three of the Big Ten once.
--- In the last 10 years, her teams have averaged 13 losses per season.
--- In the last five years, her teams have averaged 14.8 losses per season.
--- In 9 seasons as HC, Lin Dunn had a total of 68 losses (against 206 wins). In 7 seasons as HC, Kristy Curry had a total of 51 losses (against 179 wins). But in the last 4 years, Sharon Versyp has had 54 losses -- and 74 losses in the last 5 years.

The inability to sign elite talent (MCDAAs, top 25 players) -- or at least top 40/50 talent -- has led to a once-proud Purdue program and a contender on the national stage for the better part of 16 years before Versyp's arrival to mediocrity at best.

While Purdue returns its top five scorers from 2018-19, that team went 19-15 (8-10 in the Big Ten). I cannot see Versyp surviving another year, absent a top ten recruiting class nationally, a top-three Big Ten finish, and a Sweet 16 berth (or at least being given one of the top four seeds in a region).

My January 22, 2020 post

Last I saw/read, former AD Morgan Burke extended Sharon Versyp's contract through the 2021-22 season.

Interestingly, Versyp managed to secure a pretty good recruiting class, albeit not a large one. espnW/Hoopgurlz ranks the two-player class as the 19th best in the country, with the individual players ranking 36th and 57th. Prospects Nation has Purdue's class ranked 24th in the nation, with the individual players ranked 34th and 43rd. And All Star Girls Report (ASGR) has Purdue's players ranked 51st and 66th.

But in the previous five seasons before 2019-20, Purdue finished better than 6th in the Big Ten only once (T-4th, in 2016-17). And in the previous five years, Purdue has lost between 12 and 20 games each season. This year, as of January 22, 2020, Purdue sits at 12-7, 3-4 in the Big Ten. Charlie Creme has the Boilermakers as on of the "Last Four In" (as of the January 20, 2020 bracketology).

And before this year, former Purdue AC Lindsay Wisdom-Hylton took an AC position with Big Ten rival Wisconsin. Regardless of why she chose to leave Purdue, the optics were and are, frankly, terrible. Wisdom-Hylton was a 2X AA Honorable Mention for Purdue as a player before spending 4 years in the WNBA (and, as PUMatty has noted, no player recruited by Sharon Versyp has made a WNBA roster; Wisdom-Hylton was recruited by and played her first season, IIRC, for Kristy Curry). She was a great former player, and she spent seven seasons on the Purdue sidelines before leaving for Wisconsin.

The program is trending downward. And now, it is not just Notre Dame having surpassed Purdue nationally (though not this year); Indiana has clearly jumped past Purdue in terms of national rankings and Big Ten standings.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/22/20 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Anyone have any insight on why Oklahoma took the nose dive it did? I have to expect that Kim getting hired at Baylor right when Sheri made her splash sort of hurt. Kim got hired in 2000 and that's when Oklahoma made their first Sweet 16. She was able to compete with recruits over the next 5-7 years, but they went from elite to good to mediocre after the Paris twins recruiting class rather quickly.

Thoughts?

Yes....many, actually. Razz

Although I first *met* OK in their FF showdown with UConn, I didn't really become a devoted follower of Oklahoma's until the Paris years. They were pretty competitive during that time, making the FF in '09 (Courtney's senior year--lost to Angel M & L'ville) and the following year also, losing to Stanford in the semis.

After Paris and the amazing guard, D-Rob, left OK, they still had terrific seasons with kids like Morgan Hook, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin, Aaryn Ellenburg, Nicole Kornet, etc.

A turning point that I recall was in the '14-'15 season; in their pre-season, at one of the tropical tourneys, they played a close game with Kentucky, who was highly ranked at the time. In the final seconds of regulation, Junior Nicole Kornet was called for a technical foul. She had possession of the ball in a tie game, and was fouled. She slammed the ball to the floor in triumph, knowing she'd get her free throws, which she did, BUT....KY got 2 also on the tech for her unsportsmanlike conduct. They each made their shots, but OT saw KY pull it out. Nicole, an excellent player, seemingly found herself in the Doghouse most of that season.

OK still had a very good season....that was also a year (maybe the last?) they beat Baylor during the regular season; 15 years after Mulkey's arrival, OK was still quite competitive, so I can't attribute all of their current status to recruiting wars with Baylor.

Nicole made it through the rest of the year. But the next summer, she transferred out to UCLA, where she did her requisite sit-out year, and then contributed well to the Bruins' during her final year. The only reason I ever saw in print on that transfer was that, according to Coale, Nicole wanted to be at a sunny California school. Rolling Eyes

I dismissed that incident as a one-off....until the transfers of GOOD talent became more common. Chelsea Dungee. Nancy Mulkey. Shaina Pellington. (and for what it's worth, most of those names have been expunged from their archived rosters, even if they played an entire season before transferring)

Yeah, that's not a huge number of transfers, but it IS The Best of what she had left to build on. AND....she's not getting equivalent talent to replace them.

I am not on any of their team/fan 'boards', and know no one that's heard anything substantive to explain this change in fortunes. I doubt it's about her "Xs & Os"....her gaggle of freshmen were leading UConn by ten to start the 4th quarter last year, and they've pulled out some impressive wins this year already.

What else has changed in that setting Question Anybody know anything, please chime in!

PostPosted: 01/23/20 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
The program is trending downward. And now, it is not just Notre Dame having surpassed Purdue nationally (though not this year); Indiana has clearly jumped past Purdue in terms of national rankings and Big Ten standings.

And just like that, Purdue beats Nebraska tonight, on the road!

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/23/20 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Great work and research ... thanks.

Clearly, Purdue is fine with a coach who is around .500, has a good graduation rate (presumably) and doesn't create negative publicity off the court. And Purdue is not alone ...

PostPosted: 01/23/20 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Thoughts?

Yes....many, actually. Razz

Although I first *met* OK in their FF showdown with UConn, I didn't really become a devoted follower of Oklahoma's until the Paris years. They were pretty competitive during that time, making the FF in '09 (Courtney's senior year--lost to Angel M & L'ville) and the following year also, losing to Stanford in the semis.

After Paris and the amazing guard, D-Rob, left OK, they still had terrific seasons with kids like Morgan Hook, Whitney Hand, Nicole Griffin, Aaryn Ellenburg, Nicole Kornet, etc.

A turning point that I recall was in the '14-'15 season; in their pre-season, at one of the tropical tourneys, they played a close game with Kentucky, who was highly ranked at the time. In the final seconds of regulation, Junior Nicole Kornet was called for a technical foul. She had possession of the ball in a tie game, and was fouled. She slammed the ball to the floor in triumph, knowing she'd get her free throws, which she did, BUT....KY got 2 also on the tech for her unsportsmanlike conduct. They each made their shots, but OT saw KY pull it out. Nicole, an excellent player, seemingly found herself in the Doghouse most of that season.

OK still had a very good season....that was also a year (maybe the last?) they beat Baylor during the regular season; 15 years after Mulkey's arrival, OK was still quite competitive, so I can't attribute all of their current status to recruiting wars with Baylor.

Nicole made it through the rest of the year. But the next summer, she transferred out to UCLA, where she did her requisite sit-out year, and then contributed well to the Bruins' during her final year. The only reason I ever saw in print on that transfer was that, according to Coale, Nicole wanted to be at a sunny California school. Rolling Eyes

I dismissed that incident as a one-off....until the transfers of GOOD talent became more common. Chelsea Dungee. Nancy Mulkey. Shaina Pellington. (and for what it's worth, most of those names have been expunged from their archived rosters, even if they played an entire season before transferring)

Yeah, that's not a huge number of transfers, but it IS The Best of what she had left to build on. AND....she's not getting equivalent talent to replace them.

I am not on any of their team/fan 'boards', and know no one that's heard anything substantive to explain this change in fortunes. I doubt it's about her "Xs & Os"....her gaggle of freshmen were leading UConn by ten to start the 4th quarter last year, and they've pulled out some impressive wins this year already.

What else has changed in that setting Question Anybody know anything, please chime in!

Interesting thoughts indeed. Forgot about Kornet, thanks for sharing. Having watched Oklahoma on-and-off since 2000 or so, the issue is definitely not her X's and O's. The woman can coach. Auriemma was often quoted about how she ran her high school practices when she was at Norman High.

I don't have any insider info, but I imagine it's "personality conflicts" and revolves more around recruiting. Again, she has a whole new staff so let's see how it plays out?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/25/20 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Great work and research ... thanks.

Clearly, Purdue is fine with a coach who is around .500, has a good graduation rate (presumably) and doesn't create negative publicity off the court. And Purdue is not alone ...

Disappointing that a team that used to be a national power has decided that is all to hope for now. We'll see what the AD does at the end of the season.

Apparently, the NCAA championship trophy has been moved from the concourse at Mackey Arena and put where the public can't see it. That feels like an ominous move.

Shades

PostPosted: 01/25/20 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Apparently, the NCAA championship trophy has been moved from the concourse at Mackey Arena and put where the public can't see it. That feels like an ominous move.

Who was coach for that championship team? What does that tell you? Is it the coach that wins the championships or the players? If you want Peck back, she might be available.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/25/20 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Danielle Santos Atkinson's seat at Hofstra isn't a little warm, i don't know why. They are spectacularly bad, and they didn't lose that much from last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: