RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hatchell Charged in Pedestrian Death

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/10/20 7:54 pm    ::: Hatchell Charged in Pedestrian Death Reply Reply with quote

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/2020/01/10/ex-unc-womens-basketball-coach-charged-in-pedestrian-death/40975239/

Quote:
Durham police said in a news release that Sylvia Hatchell, 67, was cited for misdemeanor death by vehicle and unsafe movement violation.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/10/20 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shocked

Howee

PostPosted: 01/10/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, myy. That's most unfortunate....and simply in a parking lot. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/11/20 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of my friends was hit in a parking lot in a similar incident several years ago. Apparently she was in the driver's "blind spot" which can happen. She hit her head on the pavement, and while she wasn't killed, it impaired her sense of smell and taste. It's quite possible that the pedestrian was in Hatchell's "blind spot" also. Unfortunate accidents can happen.

PostPosted: 01/11/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

parking lots are really dangerous places for both cars and pedestrians. But it is so so hard for a person to know they were responsible for another person's death regardless of 'fault'.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/12/20 2:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
parking lots are really dangerous places for both cars and pedestrians. But it is so so hard for a person to know they were responsible for another person's death regardless of 'fault'.

Not as hard as finding out someone you love was killed due to carelessness on the part of another.

snzuluz

PostPosted: 01/12/20 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Walking in the MIDDLE of the lane with cars parked on both side, allows someone backing up to see you better and so does your backup camera. Walking close to rear end of cars on one side or another in the parking lots, leads to many more blind spots.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/12/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
One of my friends was hit in a parking lot in a similar incident several years ago. Apparently she was in the driver's "blind spot" which can happen. She hit her head on the pavement, and while she wasn't killed, it impaired her sense of smell and taste. It's quite possible that the pedestrian was in Hatchell's "blind spot" also. Unfortunate accidents can happen.
Yeah this is very sad. Parking lots can be dangerous places even when everyone is trying their best to be careful.

PostPosted: 01/12/20 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:
Walking in the MIDDLE of the lane with cars parked on both side, allows someone backing up to see you better and so does your backup camera. Walking close to rear end of cars on one side or another in the parking lots, leads to many more blind spots.

Reminding you that not everyone has a backup camera YET. And if you've just gotten out of your car you might be in someone's blind spot before you get to the middle of the lane. Devil's advocate.

PostPosted: 01/15/20 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do not trust backup cameras........use all your mirrors, back cameras and common sense....

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 01/17/20 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snzuluz wrote:

And walking down the middle of the lane lets speeding cars hit you from either end of the lot. Newer cars have alert systems that scan the blind spots behind the car to allow detection of both pedestrians and cars approaching from the sides.

There are other articles that say Hatchell hit the pedestrian while making a left turn at 2mph in the parking lot, and her mirror hit the woman and knocked her to the pavement, without mention of backing up being involved. Just a wild guess, but Hatchell was probably looking in another direction just in time for the woman to step out between cars or off a curb.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/17/20 11:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
snzuluz wrote:

And walking down the middle of the lane lets speeding cars hit you from either end of the lot. Newer cars have alert systems that scan the blind spots behind the car to allow detection of both pedestrians and cars approaching from the sides.

There are other articles that say Hatchell hit the pedestrian while making a left turn at 2mph in the parking lot, and her mirror hit the woman and knocked her to the pavement, without mention of backing up being involved. Just a wild guess, but Hatchell was probably looking in another direction just in time for the woman to step out between cars or off a curb.

Or Hatchell was turning left into a parking spot and the woman was hidden by a large vehicle that was in the spot next to the one that Hatchell was pulling in to. If it was dark and gloomy (like it has been here for about the last month) or raining, visibility would be even worse.

It seems like a lot of elderly people are looking down when they walk. either because they are stooped over or they are looking at the ground for objects that they can trip over.

I have a somewhat small car and I don't like parking next to large vehicles. The visibility around them sucks. I usually try to park out by myself and to park so that I can pull out of the parking spot instead of backing out of it.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
...It seems like a lot of elderly people are looking down when they walk. either because they are stooped over or they are looking at the ground for objects that they can trip over.

I'm 74 and find myself looking down as I walk, wanting to avoid Seattle's sidewalk potholes.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 09/11/20 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UPDATE: Sylvia Hatchell pleaded guilty.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-news/durham-county-news/former-unc-womens-basketball-coach-hatchell-pleads-guilty-in-fatal-traffic-collision/

Quote:
On Tuesday [Sept. 8, 2020], Hatchell pleaded guilty to misdemeanor death by motor vehicle.

She received a 30-day suspended sentence, six months of unsupervised probation and was ordered to pay a $150 fine.

She must also pay $190 in court costs.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: