RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Well, this is ugly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/17/20 2:26 pm    ::: Well, this is ugly Reply Reply with quote

This young lady is Maryland-bound nest year, so I think it's okay to post the story here. It's an example of just how ugly some adults can be towards some of our young players. Gotta feel for the kid.
https://theundefeated.com/features/top-prospect-angel-reese-the-target-of-offensive-messages-from-opposing-coach/

PostPosted: 01/17/20 2:43 pm    ::: Re: Well, this is ugly Reply Reply with quote

Shameful. Excuses self by saying this:

Lisa Smith “I am sorry that you were privy to my message. My intention was never to personally hurt or offend anyone when I sent the DM (privately) and foolishly never imagined that anyone other the [sic] curator would read them."

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/17/20 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that it was inappropriate for the coach to comment at all, much less in this the manner that she did. Making comments about opposing players or any players at all when you are the coach, is not right. I do have an issue though, with what the mom said. Talking about God-given talents, and height, genetics is not inherently racial. Talent is often genetically handed down, and it doesn’t mean black or white. Some people are naturally more coordinated, have quicker hands, etc. Some people carry their weight differently and move differently. It does not mean race. I played basketball in high school, because I was the tallest girl in the school. But my coordination sucks. My daughter inherited my height ( and then some!), but she got my husband’s very good athleticism and coordination. That’s why she’s very good at basketball even though I sucked.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/17/20 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yet another fine example of social media's ever-abundant pitfalls. Sad.

PostPosted: 01/17/20 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know a thing about this girl.....does she have a history of bad behavior?. bad temper?....unnecessary physical play?

but the truth is some people are genetically gifted in athletics..others are genetically gifted in academic subjects or music, etc......

so what....who cares.......

if someone wastes their gift, its their problem...

stever

PostPosted: 01/17/20 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Archbishop Spalding girls’ basketball coach Lisa Smith fired over disparaging comments

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/high-school/ac-cs-lisa-smith-spalding-girls-basketball-coach-fired-0117-20200118-j65ejmr4ezhjray4ndzuofudu4-story.html

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/17/20 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the coach was just being ugly....and is jealous. She ought to be suspended and disciplined by the league, but probably won't be.

I think a certain amount of athletic ability is genetic. Height, certainly, and a percentage of coordination. However, coordination can also be taught, if you start early enough. Case in point...my son, at 6, was pretty uncoordinated when we started him in soccer. He was having so much trouble getting his foot and the ball in the same place that he wanted to quit. A patient coach literally took him by the hand and walked him through the steps until he had it, not once, but at many practices. He was equally patient with other kids. Upshot of the whole thing was that my son continued to enjoy playing right up through 8th grade (he worked his way up to midfield and striker), when he developed other athletic interests and eventually ended up as a cross-country runner.

PostPosted: 01/17/20 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole incident is disgusting. The player had apparently been disciplined for a behavioral issue. A coach, who should have known better than to say anything on any social media venue, DM's to The Undefeated that maybe there are players with less talent but better attitudes who are more deserving of praise. The Undefeated decides to share the remarks publicly. Kid upset. Mother plays the race card and also takes to social media apparently with impunity to complain. Coach gets fired. More churning on social media. Mother says "If I hear something like that from another parent or player, that would have been fine because games are intense. I’m not comfortable with a coach saying that because I have no idea what she’s told her players, and what her players might do to my daughter.”

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/17/20 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Quote:
Archbishop Spalding girls’ basketball coach Lisa Smith fired over disparaging comments

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/high-school/ac-cs-lisa-smith-spalding-girls-basketball-coach-fired-0117-20200118-j65ejmr4ezhjray4ndzuofudu4-story.html

Whoa. Well, not undeserved, IMNSHO. And I'm with the mom. You don't know what she might have told her players, or how her players might have taken that out on her daughter.

Mama bear instinct *is* kinda strong.

PostPosted: 01/17/20 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let me see if I understand this.

If Adam sends a private message on this site to Moderator complaining about Eve's behavior and saying some unflattering things about Eve, and Moderator then publicly posts the private message, Adam gets banned for insulting Eve? In my old-fashioned book, Moderator is the one who hurt Eve and is the one who should be banned.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

If Adam sends a private message on this site to Moderator complaining about Eve's behavior and saying some unflattering things about Eve, and Moderator then publicly posts the private message, Adam gets banned for insulting Eve? In my old-fashioned book, Moderator is the one who hurt Eve and is the one who should be banned.

In general, I'm with Glenn on this one.

I read this as I was finishing the book "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson. It's at least partially about the Internet mobs rush to punish people who they have judged to have transgressed and so deserve it (including getting people fired from jobs). I feel like it's a must-read and it made me think about this situation a bit differently.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 01/19/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I read this as I was finishing the book "So You've Been Publicly Shamed" by Jon Ronson. It's at least partially about the Internet mobs rush to punish people who they have judged to have transgressed and so deserve it (including getting people fired from jobs). I feel like it's a must-read and it made me think about this situation a bit differently.

Can't say that I agree. I don't see anything here that would give "Adam" any reason to believe the comment should have been considered private. "Adam" went out of his way to make a disparaging comment and was then upset it became public.

Where I do agree somewhat is that the Moderator didn't show any discretion in making this public. I don't believe it was appropriate to publish the comment, but that doesn't in any way absolve "Adam."

One other point though. I realize that Angel Reese is still a teen and so it is unfortunate that she should have to deal with this, but if a comment on some website is the worst thing that happens to you then your life is pretty damn good. Perhaps she could also grow from this incident

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/21/20 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I saw a quote a few years ago on this topic that is applicable here:

"Public shaming as a blood sport needs to stop, and it's time for an intervention on the internet and in our culture. We need to return to long-held values of compassion and empathy."

It is a great message. And it was spoken by someone who certainly knows and understands - Monica Lewinsky.

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/21/20 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanted to check on this to be sure: St. Frances, where Angel Reese plays, has had numerous confrontations with opponents this year, including a fight that stopped a game near its end.

Some schools, it's reported, won't play St. Frances unless the gym is empty for fear of incidents.

St. Frances is really, really good but it's unfortunate they've created this kind of reputation for themselves.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: