RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Lynette Woodard - Kansas History

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/17/20 7:29 am    ::: Lynette Woodard - Kansas History Reply Reply with quote

A friend of ours, who is a KU WBB alum, sent this article to me the other day on Lynette Woodard. My wife had the opportunity to regularly see her play in Lawrence. Things came full circle for us as season ticket holders in the early years of the Detroit Shock when we got to see a little flash of Lynette when she came out of retirement.

Wonder Woodard: https://kuhistory.ku.edu/articles/wonder-woodard

Kansas was ranked 6th and Stephen F. Austin was ranked 13th when Woodard broke the AIAW scoring record in 1981. She closed out her career with 3,649 points in an era before the three pointer. Cheryl Burnett, who went on to coach in two Final Fours at (now) Missouri State, was Woodard’s teammate three of her four years.

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/17/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this article! Good read.

The only extended film I've seen of Woodard playing is from the '84 Olympics in LA - other than her stints in the W in 97/98. She was an athletic force and made it seems so smooth and simple - her game was ahead of her time. I wish I could have seen more.

Huge fan - I wish KU women's basketball took off and could be mentioned in the same breath as the women's big programs today and compete with Baylor in the Big 12. Would be so cool for the women's game to have another "brand name" school to have a great team competing deep in March and filling up the arena.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/17/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Thanks for sharing this article! Good read.

The only extended film I've seen of Woodard playing is from the '84 Olympics in LA - other than her stints in the W in 97/98. She was an athletic force and made it seems so smooth and simple - her game was ahead of her time. I wish I could have seen more.

I wish I would have been a WBB fan in the 80s. I'm a LA County native and missed seeing the dynasty at USC when I was in college nearby at CSULA. I went to water polo and swimming Olympic events in 84 since that was my own competitive background and I knew some of the athletes. It took a move to Michigan and looking for inside events in the winter to get me hooked on WBB!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: