Board Junkies Forums

2020 schedule
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/16/20 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

These players, especially the Olympics participants, are gonna be tired this year.

But they're getting paid more at least. The schedule has always been compressed in Olympic years, so next year should be more relaxed and spread out. Let's see how many veterans don't play overseas next winter.

Whether players play throughout next winter or are currently playing this winter, it won't make any of them them any less tired while they're smack in the middle of the first month or two of the season. And just because they're getting paid more doesn't mean this kind of schedule is warranted. No matter if the players are making $100k or $100 mil, that has nothing to do with how tight this schedule is and how rigorous it's gonna be. I'm not seeing many practice/off days.

Luuuc wrote:
This schedule is crazy compact Shocked

Hopefully it doesn't start to show in the quality of play. But it might.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/16/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even with this compact schedule, there's no need to have any back-to-backs. With the home games as scheduled the B2Bs for the whole league could be reduced to three. With just a bit of tweaking a few home dates it could easily be zero.

PostPosted: 01/16/20 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There appear to be 14 B2Bs. Aces, Mercury, & Wings have none. Dream, Lynx, Mystics, Storm, & Sun have one. Fever, Liberty, & Sky have two. Sparks have three.

pilight wrote:
Even with this compact schedule, there's no need to have any back-to-backs. With the home games as scheduled the B2Bs for the whole league could be reduced to three. With just a bit of tweaking a few home dates it could easily be zero.

Crazy how a couple teams straight-up have none, but the Sparks have as many as three. That's too significant in a 30-something-game season imo. I of course don't mind seeing the Sparks of all teams get slighted like that, but shouldn't the schedule-makers at least have made it such that each team would have either one or two B2Bs, instead of the 0-3 range that it is?

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 01/16/20 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
We just bought Liberty season's tickets on Tuesday based on 17 games and 1 preseason game. They've already charged my credit card. Are we going to get the extra home game for free? Very Happy

Asking rep bout this as well wondering if the camp day will be off plan

PostPosted: 01/16/20 11:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChasingRatDogmaSalade wrote:
pilight wrote:
There appear to be 14 B2Bs. Aces, Mercury, & Wings have none. Dream, Lynx, Mystics, Storm, & Sun have one. Fever, Liberty, & Sky have two. Sparks have three.

We have one. July 7 and 8.

Mercury have two. June 6 & 7. June 16 & 17.
Wings have one. July 7 & 8.

PostPosted: 01/16/20 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happycappie25 wrote:
root_thing wrote:
We just bought Liberty season's tickets on Tuesday based on 17 games and 1 preseason game. They've already charged my credit card. Are we going to get the extra home game for free? Very Happy

I think they should just offer each STH the option of taking one game off as a sick day. First maternity leave for the players, now sick days for the fans. How progressive!

PostPosted: 01/16/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
pilight wrote:

pilight wrote:

Crazy how a couple teams straight-up have none, but the Sparks have as many as three. That's too significant in a 30-something-game season imo. I of course don't mind seeing the Sparks of all teams get slighted like that, but shouldn't the schedule-makers at least have made it such that each team would have either one or two B2Bs, instead of the 0-3 range that it is?

Everyone does have at least one. pilight is only close to being perfect Wink.

PostPosted: 01/17/20 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Happycappie25 wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I think they should just offer each STH the option of taking one game off as a sick day. First maternity leave for the players, now sick days for the fans. How progressive!

How about pregnancy leaves for fans? Or better yet - pregnant women get free beer. Razz

ClayK

PostPosted: 01/17/20 10:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't know if this is true, but if the owners opted for two more games, it must mean that they generate a profit on game-day operations -- which would be good news. (There would be no reason to add more games if it cost you more money, especially if you're paying players more.)

A question: Will media deals, including ESPN, be adjusted for the extra games, or will the income be the same despite the bump?

PostPosted: 01/17/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RI_Sun_Fan wrote:
root_thing wrote:

I'd guess that decision is up to the individual teams, but the Sun E-Mailed season ticket members and said if you've ordered season tickets it would cover the preseason and 17 home games. If you wanted the 18th game to complete your package you had to pay extra. The 18th game is the weekday camp day game.

We aren't charging for the 18th game this year.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/17/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does anyone know how the location of the Commissioner's Cup championship game will be determined? I assume it would be on the home court of one of the two teams competing, but not sure how they'd determine which one.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/17/20 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Does anyone know how the location of the Commissioner's Cup championship game will be determined? I assume it would be on the home court of one of the two teams competing, but not sure how they'd determine which one.

I don't think they know themselves. The only thing the release says on the final is: "The Commissioner’s Cup Championship Game is tentatively scheduled to be played on Friday, Aug. 14, two days before regular-season play resumes on Sunday, Aug. 16 following the Olympic break. Further information on The Commissioner’s Cup will be forthcoming."

PostPosted: 01/17/20 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I don't think they know themselves.

Even with the good news about the CBA, the W stays on brand

PostPosted: 01/18/20 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two of the Libs' 3 B2B's also involve the other team on a B2B. Which fairness-wise at least makes me feel better. Even the one short timeframe for a coast-to-coast trip features back to back games with Vegas. I haven't looked at the schedule for everyone yet, but in the Libs' case it seems they at least tried to ensure as much fairness with it as possible. Which was my beef in years past, particularly 2016.

PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wrote about the schedule and back-to-backs and how compressed it is and how they're failing to capitalise on Ionescu and everything else, if anyone fancies reading that: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/the-2020-wnba-schedule-facts-and

PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I wrote about the schedule and back-to-backs and how compressed it is and how they're failing to capitalise on Ionescu and everything else, if anyone fancies reading that: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/the-2020-wnba-schedule-facts-and

The fact that the Liberty only has two games on ESPN2 is glaring. I realize they're still a possible lottery team, but they're expected to take Ionescu, a future All-Star and potential MVP. Their first game on ESPN2 isn't until June 16. Hopefully, the Liberty don't get too many tape-delayed games on the YES Network thanks to the Yankees. Maybe the Yes Network needs a YES2 channel?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/18/20 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The fact that the Liberty only has two games on ESPN2 is glaring. I realize they're still a possible lottery team, but they're expected to take Ionescu, a future All-Star and potential MVP. Their first game on ESPN2 isn't until June 16. Hopefully, the Liberty don't get too many tape-delayed games on the YES Network thanks to the Yankees. Maybe the Yes Network needs a YES2 channel?

And I feel like I complain about this every single damn time a superstar comes out of college.The WNBA and ESPN, in concert, never ever do enough to capitalise on these kids that have built their reputations and a following over 4 years in college. They're a known, visible commodity, and this league lets them disappear. It pisses me off with how dumb it is.

PostPosted: 01/18/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA and ESPN never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.....

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/18/20 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
And I feel like I complain about this every single damn time a superstar comes out of college.The WNBA and ESPN, in concert, never ever do enough to capitalise on these kids that have built their reputations and a following over 4 years in college. They're a known, visible commodity, and this league lets them disappear. It pisses me off with how dumb it is.

Yet on the men's side, they had no problem setting aside seemingly half of every nationally televised game to involve the Pelicans once they drafted Zion Williamson (though of course he ended up being injured, making most of those games uninteresting).

NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 01/19/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agree about not capitalizing on Sabrina. Her intensity alone should add to her appeal. And possibly even have some opposing fans disliking her. But either way, they’d be watching with a vested interest for or against.

PostPosted: 01/19/20 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who knows what the CBS Sports Network will bring also. Will they have their own team of broadcasters this year or will they still use the local feed to air their games?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 01/19/20 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
toad455 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

They used to do better. When Chamique Holdsclaw came out, the Mystics were on national TV twice on opening weekend, once on NBC and once on ESPN.

PostPosted: 02/24/20 11:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the WNBA wanted to get really serious about their marketing, they'd find a way to nationally broadcast damn near every game that Ionescu will play in. I know the national schedule has already been seemingly solidified, but as soon as she's taken #1, and even as much as can happen before then, Commissioner Engelbert and Co. need to get her to the masses and #FlexHerIn. We all know New York ain't trading her away, but they're only gonna be shown on ESPN2 twice!! Out of 36 games aka 5% of her games??? UNACCEPTABLE. She just become the first ever Div. I player to collect 2k points, 1k rebounds, and 1k assists, on the Day of Kobe's Memorial - after speaking at it hours earlier, no less. Would they really not be able to get her nationally broadcasted (I guess I'd begrudgingly settle for a free twitter broadcast) for either her first game (Sat. May 16th @CON) or first home game (Sun. May 17th vs LAS)??

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1232143060471091201
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1232143052552200192

I look at the comments on posts like these, along with the many retweets and likes they've racked up, and it feels like in part because all these aforementioned stars have aligned on this day, casual basketball fans have actually begun embracing her. Haters began shutting their ugly-ass mouths today. In front of our very eyes, she's becoming a real staple, a real household name in the basketball world - and not just the women's one. Too, because of her never-been-done-before accomplishments, even regular people seem to be noticing. Not to sound too spiritual, but it feels like a significant piece of the fabric of Kobe (and really Gigi's too) legacy has been transferred into her here on this day (ok, that sounded very spiritual). A lot of people not just noticed her, but contemplated her for the first time today - I pray it won't be the last time they do so. Oregon winning this year's National Championship would be a big plus. But it'll be the W's job to keep her as visible and seen as possible starting real soon if they're really serious about growing. Any sports league absolutely needs male fans, as well as casual fans; hopefully by now, the Higher-ups of this league recognize this and will make it their top priority to make waves in those categories.

I know y'all talked about it above, but I personally haven't felt so strongly about it until now. I was resigned to the league just missing yet another opportunity, but now it feels like this missed opportunity would carry its own kind of weight - one much worse and more back-breaking than the others before it imo. There's just something about Sabrina, her accomplishments, and how this is all playing out... very "Universe-is-speaking-so-you-better-be-listening" kind of stuff. Sorry if a lot of that came off as emotional & preachy - just felt like speaking my mind. Smile #FlexHerIn

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/25/20 12:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Agreed with Above NY needs to be on national TV wayyy more than twice this season. The league needs to feed off the Ionescu momentum.

PostPosted: 04/17/20 8:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: