RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

4/5 CT @ Memphis 8pE 1.14.20 SNY/espn3
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:30 am    ::: 4/5 CT @ Memphis 8pE 1.14.20 SNY/espn3 Reply Reply with quote

Elma Roane Fieldhouse
Memphis, TN



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.


Last edited by cthskzfn on 01/14/20 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The real questions:
will they win by more or less than 40.
will starters play more or less than 35 minutes.
will Adebayo play more or less than 2 minutes.

The suspense is overpowering...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4365



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The real questions:
will they win by more or less than 40.
will starters play more or less than 35 minutes.
will Adebayo play more or less than 2 minutes.

The suspense is overpowering...


kind of like playing Utah at home, no?


cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
The real questions:
will they win by more or less than 40.
will starters play more or less than 35 minutes.
will Adebayo play more or less than 2 minutes.

The suspense is overpowering...


Not unlike Thursday's Tree/Duck affair...should also air on espn. Laughing



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The real questions:
will they win by more or less than 40.
will starters play more or less than 35 minutes.
will Adebayo play more or less than 2 minutes.

The suspense is overpowering...


kind of like playing Utah at home, no?


touché...though not quite. Tara rarely runs up a score and if it happens, it's after everybody on her bench gets lots of minutes.

I think Geno is such a perfectionist that it drives him crazy to play his bench because they just can't perform up to his expectations.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
The real questions:
will they win by more or less than 40.
will starters play more or less than 35 minutes.
will Adebayo play more or less than 2 minutes.

The suspense is overpowering...


kind of like playing Utah at home, no?


touché...though not quite. Tara rarely runs up a score and if it happens, it's after everybody on her bench gets lots of minutes.

I think Geno is such a perfectionist that it drives him crazy to play his bench because they just can't perform up to his expectations.



It's because they've sucked, for years. Sometimes they were unable to get a shot off, literally.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That seems so weird because (aside from the couple of walk-ons you had) your bench is always loaded with AAs. So what paralyzes them once they realize they are going to get very few minutes?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Memphis saw my post. They're trying to lead at the end of Q1...



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do your girls have the flu?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

21-15, Memphis.

Another piss-poor, pathetic performance by the worst CT team since 2004-05.

SIX turnovers and shitty defense. I swear this is the dumbest team in a looong time.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
That seems so weird because (aside from the couple of walk-ons you had) your bench is always loaded with AAs. So what paralyzes them once they realize they are going to get very few minutes?


Loaded with AAs?



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
cthskzfn



Joined: 21 Nov 2004
Posts: 12851
Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HAHAHAHA....geno quite disgusted.



_________________
Silly, stupid white people might be waking up.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6310
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the half, I'll take Memphis and 40.

I coulda watched a Hoot Gibson rerun instead.

I've never seen a UConn team with so many players who can't take a shot or won't take a shot and who can't make a move or won't make a move. Dangerfield, Williams and Walker are the only ones who do.
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 13002
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hey. UCann is leading at the half....quitcherbitchin'!! Laughing Laughing

Actually, the stat line is fairly even in most regards....is Memphis possibly Gooder than usual?



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 61169
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Hey. UCann is leading at the half....quitcherbitchin'!! Laughing Laughing

Actually, the stat line is fairly even in most regards....is Memphis possibly Gooder than usual?


Nothing else they've done this season suggests they're unusually good



_________________
The power of the police to fulfill their functions and duties is dependent on public approval of their existence, actions and behavior, and on their ability to secure and maintain public respect
Hoopsmom



Joined: 05 Apr 2017
Posts: 300



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t decide if Memphis is better than expected, or if UCconn is just sucking badly. Both sides are having trouble getting shots to fall, but I don’t know what is normal for Memphis, as they are also struggling to get open shots past the UConn defense.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Hey. UCann is leading at the half....quitcherbitchin'!! Laughing Laughing

Actually, the stat line is fairly even in most regards....is Memphis possibly Gooder than usual?


um, no. they're barely 500 on the year and 0-3 in the mighty AAC.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bottom line. a win is a win.
I remember Stanford struggling to beat Cal Baptist.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4365



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's all my fault for not picking Memphis + whatever. Rolling Eyes

Looks like the whole team plus the coaching staff has hit the freshman wall.

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad


GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 6310
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
a win is a win.


A nice and polite sentiment, but I don't agree with it. Nor do I agree that a book is a book, a song is a song, a car is a car, a man is a man, or a pizza is a pizza.
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4365



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
That seems so weird because (aside from the couple of walk-ons you had) your bench is always loaded with AAs. So what paralyzes them once they realize they are going to get very few minutes?


Interesting fact, too bad it's untrue. Out of 9 players 2 are senior end-of- benchers who were way down the hight school rankings and the 2 freshmen were both outside the top 25.

Memphis is just another bad team that got the message that UConn is soft this year and if you bang them they shrink like violets.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought the announcer had a good point about the lack of movement. It did seem like it was just a lot of one on one. I don't remember seeing a single one of the beautiful backdoors UConn is famous for. And Makarat needs to shoot when she's open. That's what she's in there for. I did see some nice side to side passing but then it died when open shooters didn't shoot. It was a pretty shocking display...or maybe non-display. Mid-season doldrums? Still feeling the letdown from the Baylor game? Today it was fortunate you had Crystal and Memphis did not.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4365



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I thought the announcer had a good point about the lack of movement. It did seem like it was just a lot of one on one. I don't remember seeing a single one of the beautiful backdoors UConn is famous for. And Makarat needs to shoot when she's open. That's what she's in there for. I did see some nice side to side passing but then it died when open shooters didn't shoot. It was a pretty shocking display...or maybe non-display. Mid-season doldrums? Still feeling the letdown from the Baylor game? Today it was fortunate you had Crystal and Memphis did not.


Over the years many of the comments have been that it's easy to look good when you have a bunch of HSAA's. But despite 4 HSAA's they look like a bad team trying to play Geno's style and failing miserably.
Most of it IMO is that they are playing 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores and have only 2 experienced upperclassmen.
Beautiful basketball takes more than talent as this year is proving out.
But then even with a lineup filled with wimps who are thin on experience they are a lot better off than Notre Dame.
And the RPI doesn't care if you win by 2 or twenty two.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 26735



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
That seems so weird because (aside from the couple of walk-ons you had) your bench is always loaded with AAs. So what paralyzes them once they realize they are going to get very few minutes?


Interesting fact, too bad it's untrue. Out of 9 players 2 are senior end-of- benchers who were way down the hight school rankings and the 2 freshmen were both outside the top 25.

Memphis is just another bad team that got the message that UConn is soft this year and if you bang them they shrink like violets.


this year you don't have much on the bench, but that hasn't always been true. I've often wondered why a hoopgurlz #40 would go there to sit on the bench. Anybody lower than #10 can pretty much be assured they won't see minutes. Coombs I'm thinking was fairly high in the hoopgurlz ranks and she kept the course. Of course some of them do transfer like Espinoza Hunter and Boykin (how many times has she transferred anyway?) Samarie Walker? I dunno. Sadie Edwards. Maybe I've answered my own question - most aren't too willing to sit there for as long as they used to ...and nowadays lots more are taking the transfer route. Will Griffin stick it out? I just think part of the problem with not being able to keep players that are maybe decent but not superstars is the unwillingness to play your bench at all. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg - which comes first.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4365



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
That seems so weird because (aside from the couple of walk-ons you had) your bench is always loaded with AAs. So what paralyzes them once they realize they are going to get very few minutes?


Interesting fact, too bad it's untrue. Out of 9 players 2 are senior end-of- benchers who were way down the hight school rankings and the 2 freshmen were both outside the top 25.

Memphis is just another bad team that got the message that UConn is soft this year and if you bang them they shrink like violets.


this year you don't have much on the bench, but that hasn't always been true. I've often wondered why a hoopgurlz #40 would go there to sit on the bench. Anybody lower than #10 can pretty much be assured they won't see minutes. Coombs I'm thinking was fairly high in the hoopgurlz ranks and she kept the course. Of course some of them do transfer like Espinoza Hunter and Boykin (how many times has she transferred anyway?) Samarie Walker? I dunno. Sadie Edwards. Maybe I've answered my own question - most aren't too willing to sit there for as long as they used to ...and nowadays lots more are taking the transfer route. Will Griffin stick it out? I just think part of the problem with not being able to keep players that are maybe decent but not superstars is the unwillingness to play your bench at all. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg - which comes first.


None of the players you list amounted to much. Some started for other teams but were never standouts. Some of them were only signed because the players Geno wanted went elsewhere.
UConn's successful players, the ones who got the minutes, with few exceptions went there to play basketball and prepare for a pro career, just like most male players. Most of the ones who left did so because they discovered it was harder than they thought or else didn't appreciate the level of commitment required.
As Geno said, the only player who "got it" from day one was Maya Moore. The rest struggled. Most years there are a couple. There is just a whole lot of strugglers this year.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin