RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New CBA for 2020-2027
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lachina Robinson will be talking about the new CBA on her Around the Rim podcast tomorrow. Definitely should be worth a listen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
jmvcity

PostPosted: 01/14/20 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Will they still be flying commercial?

pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/20 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
What the new CBA means for the WNBA and its players
Mechelle Voepel (espnW.com)

Quote:
The WNBA and the Women's National Basketball Players Association had been negotiating since the players in 2018 opted out early from the previous agreement, which then ended after the 2019 season.

Here are some of the main things the new agreement will address.

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/28482619/what-new-cba-means-wnba-players

Details here are important. Maximum and minimum salaries are doubling, yet the cap goes up 50%. Teams with many high salaried players (LA and Sea come to mind) are going to get squeezed unless manuevers around that extra $ (up to $500k) are allowed.

Teams won't have six max players anymore. Some of the players getting max now will get less than max on their next contract (though they may still make more than they do now).

PostPosted: 01/14/20 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a little concerned about the aspect of having to report to training camp, as that may affect contracts for middle-of-the-road players overseas. International teams may not be as willing to pay as much for players who won't be there for playoffs.

But if the minimum is doubling, that should make up for it. Is the rookie minimum doubling as well? And how long are the rookie contracts?

PostPosted: 01/14/20 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm a little concerned about the aspect of having to report to training camp, as that may affect contracts for middle-of-the-road players overseas. International teams may not be as willing to pay as much for players who won't be there for playoffs.

But if the minimum is doubling, that should make up for it. Is the rookie minimum doubling as well? And how long are the rookie contracts?

The penalty doesn't go into effect right away. Players have a few more years to decide whether to go overseas or not.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Rookie scale contracts have always been 4 years (with team options built in), and there's been no mention of that changing. The minimum won't double. I think I saw something that said 68k for top rookies, which would be 13k more than last year. Most of the 'new' cash definitely seems targetted towards the top group of players, but with most of the rest still earning a bit more.

And players are still going to sign overseas for full seasons. I'm going to be intrigued to see how they handle that, because you can set a 'report date' all you like - people will still show up late. What are the punishments going to be for not being there on time, and how much will people whine if they get fined for it?

PostPosted: 01/14/20 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ICYMI, another important part of the CBA. WNBA Changemakers:

https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-announces-progressive-wnba-changemakers-partnership-platform-to-elevate-the-wnba-and-womens-sports/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ESPN's The Jump just talked about the new CBA. Basically said it's great for the league and veterans. New players will still be forced to play overseas though.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Teams won't have six max players anymore. Some of the players getting max now will get less than max on their next contract (though they may still make more than they do now).

yep. And that's as it should be. However, those 'lesser' max players might not quite see it that way. I've always thought there should be a superstar bonus. We'll see how it actually works out.

- Amanda Gorman
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
ESPN's The Jump just talked about the new CBA. Basically said it's great for the league and veterans. New players will still be forced to play overseas though.

But when you think about, players would rather go overseas earlier in their career anyways. It's the vets who don't want to bother and to rest their bodies. If more vets can stay home and rest their bodies, it allows them the chance to extend their careers and for the W to use them for marketing purposes. I've always said, the WNBA should put together a team much like Team USA is doing and have them tour the country. It would build interest around the WNBA and test potential markets.

I am just so happy for the league. I haven't even read through all the specifics but look at how far we've come. There were times in the late 2000's when people were concerned if the WNBA would be able to keep the lights on. But this shows that no only are we keeping the lights on, we're adding cool light fixtures.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I also wonder is the revenue sharing from their local team or the W in general? If the former, then I would think it would make the stars all want to go to teams that were well in the black. Also, how do you account for cooked books? All businesses cook their books to pay less taxes. The details on revenue sharing will be interesting.

- Amanda Gorman
TigerVol

PostPosted: 01/14/20 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

No one in the wnba is forced to play overseas now or in the future any more than they were forced to choose bball as a career.

They play overseas to make the most amount of money possible during their career.

They choose to play all year based on their personal threshold of $ worth the effort/wear and tear. Threshold I'm sure is different per person.

This new agreement seems to raise the wnba portion of the equation which is great.

At this point it doesn't eliminate the overseas portion of the equation.

It definitely benefits those who have already chosen not to play overseas - either on principle, body wear and tear or investment in post playing career.

Plenty of players - even or especially the top players still have a choice to make. How much money is enough?

If I am at the level to make 500k in wnba it is likely the current overseas offer is at least equal if not double. So one year full time may be the equivalent of 3 in the WNBA alone.

Not playing overseas is leaving money on the table no matter how you cut it.

Playing all year won't stop until the leagues here or overseas prevent players from doing it. Especially when considering not all of the world's best players hail from the USA.

The phasing in of the show up for training camp is a step in that direction.

If players want the league to make more of an investment and commitment to them the players have to do the same.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats all around.

Awesome that Valerie Jarrett is paying attention.

So ... Angel is a free agent, and Tina Charles might be?

Genero36

PostPosted: 01/14/20 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/baSae8WN9SU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/baSae8WN9SU

PostPosted: 01/14/20 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was just a topic on Around The Horn. Mostly positive and Tony Reali made a solid statement about it and how it took 24 years for moms to get full maternity leave.

Be interesting if PTI talks about it and if the sexist Tony Kornheiser has anything positive to say.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/20 5:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
It was just a topic on Around The Horn. Mostly positive and Tony Reali made a solid statement about it and how it took 24 years for moms to get full maternity leave.

He did a full rant on salaries when the players opted out, noting that all the players in the entire league combined made less than Mason Plumlee

PostPosted: 01/14/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How does the new CBA affect current contracts? If you are under contract for the next two years is it at the same pay rate or is it adjusted to the new guidelines? Or does everyone get a redo on current contracts?

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://theathletic.com/1534181/?source=twittered

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/20 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8P57F02q8jg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

toad455

PostPosted: 01/14/20 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/NBATV/status/1217228354832588802

Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/14/20 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
How does the new CBA affect current contracts? If you are under contract for the next two years is it at the same pay rate or is it adjusted to the new guidelines? Or does everyone get a redo on current contracts?

I have these same questions, unless there's something I'm just not understanding. It could drastically affect the projection of this year's free agency - What if the players that were due to get the "max" this year now get their entire salary tripled? As mentioned in this thread earlier, it seems that some teams wouldn't be able to stay under the cap if a more expensive roster wasn't projected to change much. Maybe we will see someone like Natasha Howard traded as soon as next month. Shocked

canadaball wrote:
Details here are important. Maximum and minimum salaries are doubling, yet the cap goes up 50%. Teams with many high salaried players (LA and Sea come to mind) are going to get squeezed unless manuevers around that extra $ (up to $500k) are allowed.

And I can't do the math to figure out if I should be worried or not lol Embarassed

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I've said elsewhere, until they say otherwise there's no reason to expect existing contracts to change under the new CBA. You don't sign for 'MAX' in a WNBA contract, you sign for $X in Year 1, $Y in Year 2 etc. Those numbers have never been retrospectively changed when previous CBAs changed the boundaries around them, so I'm not expecting them to do so this time.

So, for example, Jasmine Thomas and Alyssa Thomas both signed 'max' deals in Connecticut that they'll still be under in 2020. Jonquel Jones and Courtney Williams will both be RFAs and it'll likely take 'max' deals to keep them. But Thomas/Thomas will likely stay on a 120k-ish 'max', while Jones/Williams will be on the new 215k 'max' (assuming they meet whatever requirements have been specified for it).

All just educated guesswork for now until we see the actual CBA, of course. If that's right, it means we might see a few extra cap issues this offseason, but the full impact won't be felt until everyone's off the deals they signed under the old CBA. Suddenly Alyssa Thomas or Sylvia Fowles for 120k looks like a bargain.

PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
The 'designated cup games' thing, again similar to the NBA's plan, is weird. They talk about these events being inspired by European cups, but this isn't something Europe does at all. Cup games are entirely separate from league games. It messes up the whole concept, for me.

I guess it's sort of similar to European basketball except that the entire first half of the regular season is used since they play a double round-robin. They should bring back West-East for the first edition and have ten games against conference foes count for the standings for this.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/14/20 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
As I've said elsewhere, until they say otherwise there's no reason to expect existing contracts to change under the new CBA.

Rookie contracts might change.

I don't think anybody has a contract with escalators based on a new CBA getting signed. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: