RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Who’s Number 1?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8964
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 12:25 pm    ::: Who’s Number 1? Reply Reply with quote

I highly expect if OSU aka beat Arizona by 2 pts Friday night will be #1 if they can sneak out of Tempe tonight with a win. If they lose which is a big possibility then does this Catapult SC to #1 ? I think Baylor is the true #1 with them yet to suffer a loss without cox. I’m eager to hear who you all believe #1 should be? Baylor does have the advantage conference wise most likely running the table and ending the year at #1 , but so does SC. Does the strength of the PAC 12 override ??



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol


Last edited by WNBA 09 on 01/12/20 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 4321



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only consistent thing this year is the inconsistency of play. Maybe I'm just an arrogant UConn fan but I don't vote No 1 for a team that loses to an unranked team, no matter how many TD's their star has.
Baylor certainly handled UConn but their resume for the season is pretty much done as far as elite competition. They beat UConn and lost to S Carolina. Is a 1-1 team worthy of the top ranking? Cox's absence doesn't change the fact that Mulkey is ducking top competition again. Should that be rewarded?
Right now it's OSU that deserves the top spot. Their only problem is that they lack the star pizzazz and "showtime" quality of UO. What I like about them is that they play defense.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 8964
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The only consistent thing this year is the inconsistency of play. Maybe I'm just an arrogant UConn fan but I don't vote No 1 for a team that loses to an unranked team, no matter how many TD's their star has.
[b]Baylor certainly handled UConn but their resume for the season is pretty much done as far as elite competition. They beat UConn and lost to S Carolina[/b]. Is a 1-1 team worthy of the top ranking? Cox's absence doesn't change the fact that Mulkey is ducking top competition again. Should that be rewarded?
Right now it's OSU that deserves the top spot. Their only problem is that they lack the star pizzazz and "showtime" quality of UO. What I like about them is that they play defense.


Why deny the fact that they loss that SC game without arguably their best player. You can’t discredit that neither.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12542
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My prediction: 1. Oregon State 2. Baylor 3. Oregon 4. Stanford.

12. UConn. Laughing

Hmmmm. Okay. OR-St. goes down to AZ-St. Shocked

1. Baylor 2. Oregon/OR-St. 4. AZ-St.

13. UConn. Cool



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
"Inévitablement, les canards voleront"


Last edited by Howee on 01/12/20 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock



Joined: 23 Jan 2015
Posts: 853
Location: Here


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 5:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This may be one of those seasons where the only time a #1 team is relevantly #1 is after the national championship has been played. Of course I know that's how it always is, but some seasons the #1 team midway through the season is the legit #1 team. This season, not so much the case.....


Gamecock1



Joined: 02 Dec 2018
Posts: 7



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have heard this several times and no one seems to understand that these are freshmen...and they have gotten much better since the Baylor game....so to insist that Cox would "now" make a difference is to ignore that these freshmen have also gotten better over time. I would argue that Baylor would maybe fair no better if they played again given those factors.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 53189



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
I have heard this several times and no one seems to understand that these are freshmen...and they have gotten much better since the Baylor game....so to insist that Cox would "now" make a difference is to ignore that these freshmen have also gotten better over time. I would argue that Baylor would maybe fair no better if they played again given those factors.


Cox makes the whole team better, significantly better. Both Cooper and Nal Smith have been on tears since she returned.

Baylor just knocked off UConn in their house, which isn’t easy to do. Baylor just put an end to UConn’s 98-game home winning streak, which dates back to 2013. I guess you could say that’s significant.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Gamecock1



Joined: 02 Dec 2018
Posts: 7



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/20 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:
I have heard this several times and no one seems to understand that these are freshmen...and they have gotten much better since the Baylor game....so to insist that Cox would "now" make a difference is to ignore that these freshmen have also gotten better over time. I would argue that Baylor would maybe fair no better if they played again given those factors.


Cox makes the whole team better, significantly better. Both Cooper and Nal Smith have been on tears since she returned.

Baylor just knocked off UConn in their house, which isn’t easy to do. Baylor just put an end to UConn’s 98-game home winning streak, which dates back to 2013. I guess you could say that’s significant.
Still you are ignoring that the game was played early in the year...and the freshman have gotten used to playing together. I am not suggesting that going into UCONN and winning wasn't good. I am suggesting that all the tournament games will be played on neutral courts (or somewhat neutral) and that given that, I don't think Baylor is a better team than us. Cox's experience will be negated by the time tournament play starts and the role players for us are probably better than Baylor's...we shall see.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 53189



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/15/20 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:
Still you are ignoring that the game was played early in the year.


Not completely ignoring it, but it’s more you ignoring Cox not playing in that game and ignoring what she means to the team.

Gamecock1 wrote:
the freshman have gotten used to playing together.


Baylor’s newcomer is getting used to playing with them, and she comes with the caveat of not being a freshman with those freshmen mistakes.

Gamecock1 wrote:
I am not suggesting that going into UCONN and winning wasn't good. I am suggesting that all the tournament games will be played on neutral courts (or somewhat neutral) and that given that, I don't think Baylor is a better team than us.


Not following your logic. Baylor just won in one of the more hostile environments, but on a neutral court they’ll take a step back?

Gamecock1 wrote:
Cox's experience will be negated by the time tournament play starts and the role players for us are probably better than Baylor's...we shall see.


I don’t see how 4 years of experience just disappears in your eyes. That’s just wishful thinking.

Here’s something you haven’t considered. The freshmen may hit that rookie wall, while Cox hasn’t played most of the season. She should be fresher than the freshmen. In fact, she’s playing herself back into shape and getting her rhythm back. She’s only going to get better from here on.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin