RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNBL (Australia) 2019/20 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19818



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/20 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
I wonder what the story is with Becca Tobin leaving and then popping up relatively quickly in Belgium.

"Off-court issues" was the reason given. A bit unusual for that to occur in season #2 rather than season #1, but evidently there was a final straw moment. Her absence doesn't seem to have adversely affected them on the court.

Quote:
On the Bendigo front, Demi Skinner might be adding herself to the list of players snubbed in the last draft.

She has been a nice surprise, but nah, I wouldn't go that far.
Speaking of Bendigo and the WNBA draft though, this week's Basket Case podcast included an interview with Shyla Heal where she stated that her goal for the next 2 years is getting drafted in 2022.

Quote:
Also, no offense to him since we were on the same class project once and he was perfectly nice, but if this Miles Plumlee is the answer, then I am a little concerned about the question.

In this case the question is "who would be a better fit than Dario Hunt?" and I think the answer is "just about anyone". We don't need much from the 5 spot. Just someone with size who can keep themselves out of foul trouble. We threw a lot of money at the first 2 import spots, and went cheap with the 3rd one. Just slightly too cheap, as it turns out. This is a gamble that could mean a shot at another title if it works out so I'm good with it.



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
awhom111



Joined: 19 Nov 2014
Posts: 2617



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
awhom111 wrote:
I wonder what the story is with Becca Tobin leaving and then popping up relatively quickly in Belgium.

"Off-court issues" was the reason given. A bit unusual for that to occur in season #2 rather than season #1, but evidently there was a final straw moment. Her absence doesn't seem to have adversely affected them on the court.

Quote:
On the Bendigo front, Demi Skinner might be adding herself to the list of players snubbed in the last draft.

She has been a nice surprise, but nah, I wouldn't go that far.
Speaking of Bendigo and the WNBA draft though, this week's Basket Case podcast included an interview with Shyla Heal where she stated that her goal for the next 2 years is getting drafted in 2022.

Quote:
Also, no offense to him since we were on the same class project once and he was perfectly nice, but if this Miles Plumlee is the answer, then I am a little concerned about the question.

In this case the question is "who would be a better fit than Dario Hunt?" and I think the answer is "just about anyone". We don't need much from the 5 spot. Just someone with size who can keep themselves out of foul trouble. We threw a lot of money at the first 2 import spots, and went cheap with the 3rd one. Just slightly too cheap, as it turns out. This is a gamble that could mean a shot at another title if it works out so I'm good with it.


I always root for weird draft picks. If someone had picked her, we all would have been wondering what happened and whether she was eligible. Kind of like I hope Anneli Maley gets drafted this year, though that seems likely.

What's our operating theory on Heal?
Is she aware of a new CBA rule that nobody else knows about yet?
Is her listed birthday wrong?
Does she not know her own birthday?
Does she not know the rules?
Does she also miss the time when GMs made picks of ineligible players?

I just hope that I do not mess up Lynx/Wildcats for the rest of the season now that I will be writing out both. I think that I have managed to avoid accidentally typing Braves for Bendigo so far this season. The guy who owns the Duke site that I cover alumni for has been following the Ball saga for a while and is mightily disappointed that Miles plays the Hawks first only for LaMelo to be injured.
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19818



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/09/20 11:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm hoping it's the GMs one. They were fun times.

Speaking of Maley, it was interesting the other night here in Perth to see her attempt three 3s in her 5 minutes on court. It's a good thing if she's trying to add that to her repertoire.

I think LaMelo is due to be out of his moon boot any day now, but he'd be silly to suit up again. Nothing to gain for him with his team out of the playoff race and hours away from being dunked on by Plumlee.



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
threadkiller1201



Joined: 19 Sep 2005
Posts: 263
Location: washington state


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/10/20 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
More on Kia (TV interview with CBC Sports News):
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/kia-nurse-donates-money-for-wildfire-relief-in-australia-1.5415409?utm_content=bufferbb391&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer


thanks for posting!


Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19818



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/12/20 3:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 13

Plenty of drama this round.
The 3-12 Townsville Fire cut their leading scorer, Abby Bishop, on the morning of their home game. The team responded by destroying the 10-5 Canberra Capitals. Today they were in Sydney, and scored themselves another win.
In Perth, McGee-Stafford was a late omission from the team for "disciplinary reasons". It didn't seem to hurt the team too much as they piled on 100 vs Bendigo, who were missing Abi Wehrung due to a horse-related injury Shocked and lost Gabe Richards late in the game with a suspected concussion. Shyla Heal continued her hot form, racking up 30.
To finish the round, the Melbourne derby went to OT, with the Flyers getting the W over Melbourne, who were without Lindsay Allen today.

Adelaide 69 (Turner 23p 11r 4b, Westbeld 18p 5r, Seekamp 11p 6r 11a 3s, Nicholson 10p, Talbot 7p 7r)
Melbourne 74 (Cunningham 18p 5r, George 14p 7r 7a, Magbegor 14p 8r, Garrick 9p 9r 4a, Beck 5p 8r)
Boxscore

Townsville 102 (Madgen 26p, Vanloo 16p 5r 10a, Garbin 14p 6r, Carleton 13p 11r 5a, Gaze 12p, Cocks 10p 6r, Boag 6p 6r)
Canberra 69 (Tolo 17p 8r, Nurse 17p 5s, Froling 15p 10r, Rocci 14p, Epoupa 8a)
Boxscore

Sydney 76 (Kunek 30p 6r, Scherf 16p 10r 3b, Kuster 12p 8r, Wilson 7p 6r 7a)
Townsville 83 (Garbin 18p 3b, Cocks 17p 4a, Carleton 15p 9r, Vanloo 13p 7r 6a, Madgen 10p 5r 5a, Boag 5p 6r)
Boxscore

Perth 100 (Whittle 19p 5r, Payne 19p, Schwagmeyer 17p, Ebzery 14p 6r 6a, Mansfield 12p 6a 4s, Allen 5p 7r 4b)
Bendigo 81 (Heal 30p 6r 3s, Ernst 11p 10r, Richards 9p, Lavey 8p, Tessari 8p, Wilson 5p 11a)
Boxscore

Melbourne 73 [OT] (Magbegor 24p 12r 3b, George 13p 9r 5a, Beck 11p, Garrick 8p 7r, Cunningham 8p, Conti 2p 5a)
Southside 75 (Mitchell 21p 5r 3s, O'Hea 19p 6r 4s, Russell 18p 11r, Cole 15p 5r 6a, Blicavs 2p 9r)
Boxscore


Ladder
Southside Flyers 14-3
Melbourne Boomers 12-5
Canberra Capitals 10-6
Adelaide Lightning 10-7
Perth Lynx 6-10
Sydney Flames 6-11
Townsville Fire 5-12
Bendigo Spirit 4-13



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
stever



Joined: 16 Nov 2004
Posts: 6778
Location: Ann Arbor


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 7:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/28480526/perth-lynx-part-ways-wnbl-import

Quote:
McGee-Stafford was dropped for last week's WNBL win over Bendigo after arriving late to the game.

It came just one week after she was relegated to the bench for displaying a lack of effort.



_________________
Women's Basketball Daily
Celebrating the Women's Game Since 2005
WBBDaily Mobile Edition
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 20642



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/28480526/perth-lynx-part-ways-wnbl-import

Quote:
McGee-Stafford was dropped for last week's WNBL win over Bendigo after arriving late to the game.

It came just one week after she was relegated to the bench for displaying a lack of effort.


I do wonder how much longer her basketball career will last? An average back-up center with apparent attitude problems.



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 9578



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/14/20 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
stever wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/28480526/perth-lynx-part-ways-wnbl-import

Quote:
McGee-Stafford was dropped for last week's WNBL win over Bendigo after arriving late to the game.

It came just one week after she was relegated to the bench for displaying a lack of effort.


I do wonder how much longer her basketball career will last? An average back-up center with apparent attitude problems.



No matter where IMS plays she seems to end up being "below average" in that league - WNBA, China and now WNBL.



_________________
2019 RebKell Tipping Contest Champion
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 19818



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/19/20 5:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Round 14

More key players going down with injuries, with Southside losing Jenna O'Hea for the remainder of the season with a broken wrist, Sydney losing Tupaea with a knee injury also for the rest of the season, Canberra losing Keely Froling for multiple weeks with a broken nose & cheek (sustained near the end of Friday night's game), and Kelsey Griffin going down with a new injury right when she was due to return from the previous one.
The crippled Caps would not die though, and somehow still took care of the other 2 teams in the top 3 thanks to Nurse, Tolo & Epoupa.

Canberra 76 [OT] (Nurse 23p 7r, Tolo 22p 9r, Froling 12p 9r, Epoupa 8p 16r 7a 6s, Rocci 8p)
Melbourne 75 (Cunningham 22p, Beck 17p 6r, Magbegor 14p, George 8p 8r, Purcell 4p 5r 4s)
Boxscore

Adelaide 77 (Talbot 16p 10r 3b, Turner 15p 9r, Nicholson 14p 7r, Seekamp 12p 9a, Westbeld 10p 5r, Brook 8p)
Townsville 60 (Madgen 19p 7r 4a, Garbin 16p 10r, Vanloo 10p, Boag 8p 6r, Carleton 6p 6r)
Boxscore

Sydney 62 (Smart 18p, Scherf 14p 11r 3s, Greaves 8p, Kuster 6p 9r, Wilson 5p 6a)
Melbourne 76 (Magbegor 25p 5r 4a, George 14p 8r 5a, Garrick 13p 7a 4s, Beck 10p, Conti 6p 4a)
Boxscore

Bendigo 76 (Lavey 20p, Wehrung 15p 6r, Ernst 15p 5r, Wilson 9p 5r 5a, Skinner 8p 5r, Heal 4p 8r)
Southside 91 (Cole 22p 5r 5a, Mitchell 19p 4a, Blicavs 18p 8r, Russell 13p 12r, Rowe 8p, Clydesdale 4p 6a)
Boxscore

Perth 95 (Schwagmeyer 21p, Ebzery 17p 8r, Whittle 17p, Mansfield 14p 5r 3s, Payne 10p 6r, Atkins 9p 3s)
Townsville 62 (Garbin 19p 5r, Carleton 12p 12r, Madgen 10p 5r, Cocks 9p)
Boxscore

Southside 74 (Russell 18p 10r, Mitchell 14p 5a, Clydesdale 11p, Blicavs 10p 8r, Cole 10p 4a, Maley 6p 6r)
Canberra 98 (Nurse 33p, Rocci 19p, Epoupa 15p 13r 8a, Tolo 13p 12r 6a, Delaney 13p)
Boxscore



Ladder
Southside Flyers 15-4
Melbourne Boomers 13-6
Canberra Capitals 12-6
Adelaide Lightning 11-7
Perth Lynx 7-10
Sydney Flames 6-12
Townsville Fire 5-14
Bendigo Spirit 4-14



_________________
Is there gas in the car?
Yes there's gas in the car.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin