RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Other games 1/9-1/12
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/20 6:39 pm    ::: Other games 1/9-1/12 Reply Reply with quote

lots happening today

watching Duke's offense. It's what I call 'throw it around until you throw it away'.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina hosting top 25 Arkansas in Colonial Life Arena. They jump out to a 31-15 lead after 1st Period. Leading Arkansas scorer Chelsea Dungee held to 0-8 shooting, with Boston blocking 3 of her shots. Boston is on pace to have a 32-point, 36-rebound game, with 8 pts and 9 rebounds through 10 minutes!! She'll probably tire out first, though.....

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

omg Shocked ND loses to BC! Another milestone in a horrific year.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

Might as well package them all in one forgettable season, and then move on....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee was leading Ole Miss 40-10 and had the end of the bench in last I saw. Of course the Ole Miss coach just shot herself in both feet by dismissing the PG on behavioral issues..and the bench was already depleted.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee 84, Ole Miss 28. And it looks like Kellie didn’t try to run up the score. If there was ever a need for a mercy rule....

PostPosted: 01/10/20 12:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What a flipping awesome night of basketball!!!

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 01/10/20 7:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee was leading Ole Miss 40-10 and had the end of the bench in last I saw. Of course the Ole Miss coach just shot herself in both feet by dismissing the PG on behavioral issues..and the bench was already depleted.

Depending on what the player did, I think it is very good for any sport for the coach to take a stand. Even / especially wirh a “star”. I know there are some players that think they can get away with anything because they are the star, but that player could be bringing down team morale. Other players see her or him getting away with sh*t and it affects your whole team chemistry. College sports is about more than the game, it is about an education for 99% of the athletes. An education from books, and life lessons that can impact a person‘s character development.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/10/20 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4 BE games today with one matinee and one TV game - Xavier at Georgetown is on FS2 at 6:30P EST. Links for information for free digital broadcasts for the other 3 Big East games:

http://www.bigeast.com/news/2020/1/8/womens-basketball-bigeastwbb-minute-trio-of-tv-games.aspx

The games today (all times EST):
Butler at Villanova, 11:30 a.m.
Xavier at Georgetown, 6:30 p.m.
Seton Hall at DePaul, 8 p.m.
St. John’s at Marquette, 8 p.m.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/10/20 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:

But they were 10-10 at the free throw line!!!!!!! Smile

Don't expect it to happen again anytime soon.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 01/10/20 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
South Carolina hosting top 25 Arkansas in Colonial Life Arena. They jump out to a 31-15 lead after 1st Period. Leading Arkansas scorer Chelsea Dungee held to 0-8 shooting, with Boston blocking 3 of her shots. Boston is on pace to have a 32-point, 36-rebound game, with 8 pts and 9 rebounds through 10 minutes!! She'll probably tire out first, though.....

Boston is the real deal. Whoever compared her to Coates is wrong, she's better! I see why Geno and Muffet coveted her so much.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/10/20 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Depending on what the player did, I think it is very good for any sport for the coach to take a stand. Even / especially wirh a “star”. I know there are some players that think they can get away with anything because they are the star, but that player could be bringing down team morale. Other players see her or him getting away with sh*t and it affects your whole team chemistry. College sports is about more than the game, it is about an education for 99% of the athletes. An education from books, and life lessons that can impact a person‘s character development.

agree. but it's a really tough one for a coach, whose career is usually judged by win-loss - especially at a P5 school which is going to get the most publicity. It's also why recruiting is so important for most programs - to get players that 'fit' with what they are trying to do, rather than just getting the most talented. Now, if you can get both in one package, happiness abounds!

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/10/20 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

agree. but it's a really tough one for a coach, whose career is usually judged by win-loss - especially at a P5 school which is going to get the most publicity. It's also why recruiting is so important for most programs - to get players that 'fit' with what they are trying to do, rather than just getting the most talented. Now, if you can get both in one package, happiness abounds!

Coach Yo had apparently known the player since the young lady was 10 years old, so whatever the problem was, it manifested itself in recent times.

PostPosted: 01/10/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Conway Gamecock wrote:

Boston is the real deal. Whoever compared her to Coates is wrong, she's better! I see why Geno and Muffet coveted her so much.

Alaina Coates wasn't exactly chopped liver for the Gamecocks....

Coates' freshman season (2013-14):

34 gms, 1 start, 19.6 mpg, .612 FG%, 12.3 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 2.2 bpg
10 double-double games (USC Freshman Record)
5-time SEC Freshman of the Week
SEC co-6th Player of the Year
SEC Freshman/Newcomer of the Year (Coaches, AP)
SEC All Freshman Team
All-SEC Second Team (Coaches)
All-SEC Honorable Mention (AP)

Boston's freshman season (2019-20 in progress):

16 gms, 16 starts, 23.3 mpg, .619 FG%, 13.4 ppg, 8.9 rpg, 3.1 bpg
6 double-double games (1 triple-double game)
3-time SEC Freshman of the Week

Coates came off the bench both her freshman and sophomore seasons, while Boston looks to be a career starter. A'ja Wilson didn't even merit that honor.

Coates also played on a team that had 0 5-stars her freshman season, and only 1 McD A-A, and that was her. Boston is on a team laden with both.

But Boston is looking to be the more consistent of the two: Coates dealt with inconsistency her entire career at USC - when she would have the inclination, she was as unstoppable as Wilson was. She was an automatic 10+ rebound machine (she averaged 10.0+ rebounds per game for her career), and was always a stellar finisher when she shot (Coates owns the program record for career FG %, at .620), but she would often disappear offensively in games, taking only 4-5 FG attempts in many of them. If she chose to take more like 10-12 attempts, she might lead the team in scoring most nights. Boston meanwhile has failed only once thus far in 16 games to score at least 10 points (7 pts vs South Dakota State).

Boston is showing halfway through her freshman season that she has no hesitation at putting shots up, and often has led the team in scoring in the opening quarters. Coates was the more athletic of the two, however, IMO. Boston always gives 100%, but she has been seen to tire out in games, and be huffing and heaving for oxygen at times. I think its that conditioning issue that has resulted in a spurt of fouls she was getting just before SEC play began. Coates meanwhile always amazed me with her quickness, at even beating guards from end to end on fast breaks and turnovers. When Coates did choose to make post moves at the basket, she was so fast whipping around for layups that defenders were always slow to react and stop her.

I think Boston has the better touch around the basket, while Coates was the quicker and more athletic. I think Boston has more moves at the basket than Coates, while Coates had the patented whip-around layup on the left side of the paint that she used throughout her career. Boston is most definitely the better free throw shooter of the two.

Boston may be slightly better than Coates was as a freshman right now, and has the better upside for her career. She will play her career with far better depth of talent around her, Wilson notwithstanding.

As this season has progressed into SEC play, Boston's teammates are rising to her challenge: she dipped slightly in scoring just before conference play began - she was averaging 14.1 ppg in early December - while at the same time the team scoring average is rising. But Boston doesn't appear to be hitting any freshman "wall" yet: in 3 SEC games, she's averaging 16.7 ppg, 14.3 rpg, and 3.0 bpg.

Of course, 25-rebound games will help considerably.....

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/10/20 11:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great buzzer beater for Missouri State tonight as they beat Drake 69-67:

https://twitter.com/MSULadyBears/status/1215834759248531456

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/10/20 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the Big East today:

Butler wins at Villanova 58-41 - that result kind of surprised me

Xavier wins at Georgetown 85-64 in the battle of two of the worst teams in the conference - Xavier won their first game of the season and hadn't won again until tonight

DePaul wins at home over Seton Hall 85-68 - no surprise there

Marquette wins at home over St. John's 94-85 and I'm still trying to figure out how they won this one Smile. St. John's was pretty much in control the first 3 quarters but Marquette did close to within 3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. And then Marquette outscored St. John's 25-13 in the 4th quarter. Selena Lott led the way for Marquette with a career high 34 points and had a team high 7 assists. Marquette had 15 to's which is a lot less than usual.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/11/20 5:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
myrtle wrote:

My nickname for this season is the "Trials of Job" season. Whether that refers to the team or the fans, I'm not sure... Confused

On the ND Nation board I've been trying to explain that this is a rather unique situation and I keep getting examples of other teams that have lost 5 starters, but then I have to point out that for ND it's losing 5 starters....plus 2 transfers...plus 1 player out for the season due to blood clots in her lung...plus a player out for a few weeks with a knee injury (and I don't even bring up the general in season injuries that are added to that).

Losing 8-9 players from the previous season is not the same as losing 5 starters.

I said that this would be an "interesting" season in the Chinese curse sort of way, and I said that before the transfers and the injuries (and maybe even before Young announced leaving).

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/11/20 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Providence at Creighton is on CBSSportsNetwork at 12P EST today.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/11/20 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I see Oklahoma took down Iowa St. in Norman....they're certainly showing more grit than I might have anticipated.

(....and....they apparently did it without star Llanusa-- Shocked Anybody hear anything?)

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/11/20 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:

Wow! thanks for that

PostPosted: 01/12/20 7:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Wow! thanks for that

I got an alert from ESPN about it on my phone giving me a heads-up - not sure if it made the SC Top 10 that night but was quite an exciting finish.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/12/20 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lots of games on TV today:

https://www.hoopfeed.com/content/tv/

I'm interested in the St. John's-DePaul game on FS1 but will miss that since I'll be at the Marquette-Seton Hall game.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/12/20 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland at Michigan is coming up at noon. Pam Ward and Debbie Antonelli are here.

These teams met already in the first game of conference play, with UMD taking the match, 70-55.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/12/20 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think uo will reboot their OS and crush UA today. Simple as that.

OSU and ASU will be a dogfight. OSU has extra motivation (aside from potential #1 ranking) having lost 3 straight to Charli’s Devils. OSU will get the road W and Destiny will get her first W vs ASU as a Beav.

PostPosted: 01/12/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the first half
Maryland shredding Michigan

Kentucky struggling at Florida

And Syracuse playing Miami even

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: