RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

6 Baylor @ 1 CT 7pE espn 1.9.20
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If UConn is so good and Baylor isn’t, how is Baylor up 16 with 1:17 left? Riddle me that. (I got no skin in this game, I don’t like anybody very much.)

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can’t recall a UConn team ever scoring single digits in a 4th QTR. Stuck at 2 pts with 1:17 to go Baylor up 70-54. This was our first good game of the season til the 4th qtr showed up.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cannot stand Cooper but she sure showed up tonight.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mulkeys swag is really impressive after the win with that interview. #ActLikeYouveDoneItBefore

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn just laid down and quit in that 4th qtr. Never saw that before.

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/20 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big kudos to the bears. Ododa finally had to face a team with size, and she showed just how mediocre her game really is...

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Baylor was the better team all game long and they ended up absolutely stomping UConn.

- 45% FG vs. 29%
- 81% FT vs. 63%
- 32 pts in paint vs. 18
- 14 fast break pts vs. 7
- 18 assists vs. a pitiful 8

UConn had no effective offense other than a few individual effort plays and mediocre 3pt shooting.

Ododa was completely exposed as an offensive limp noodle against a tall, strong defense. She has no power moves, weak low block finesse moves, and no credible outside touch.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m seeing a title game of possibly Oregon vs South Carolina....

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN post-game was beyond terrible. Nelson-Ododa 0-8. Irwin 0-4. 8 rebounds between the two. Does UCONN have an actual post available on its bench? Definitely something that got exposed tonight.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
toad455

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On another note, NaLyssa Smith is going to be an amazing player.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
The experts in Bristol discuss the game

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28446811/biggest-questions-answered-thursday-uconn-baylor-showdown

They ask a lot of legitimate questions about UConn but limit their analysis of Baylor to Cox and last season's championship. As far as I see Baylor is the only one to have played in a big game and they lost by 15.

One interesting thing is that this is Baylor's last chance to impress the seeding committee because the only games they have left against ranked teams are the home and away games vs No 19 West Virginia. The B12 has fallen on hard times.

I've got a nice seat across from the Baylor bench and will have a good view of the Bear's coach in case she goes ballistic.

This was wise - had you gotten a seat behind the bench, you could've been hit in the face with a clothing article....

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Related to this, not sure where quite to put it, but Sue Bird was excellent in the ESPN studio with Andy. Knowledgeable, insightful and just...good.

Come on Sue - WCBB needs you more than the NBA does!

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
UCONN post-game was beyond terrible. Nelson-Ododa 0-8. Irwin 0-4. 8 rebounds between the two. Does UCONN have an actual post available on its bench? Definitely something that got exposed tonight.

Adebayo has disappeared. She's the grad transfer from poodunk U who averaged a double double in that league. I have been surprised that she hasn't really even been given a look all year. Maybe UConn fans can correct me if I'm wrong about that... But we know it's not all that easy to learn what Geno wants from you, and if you don't learn it, you don't play.

Irwin is really not an F. She may be listed at 6'2" but she ain't close to that. Her main feature is attempting to take charges.

- Amanda Gorman

Last edited by myrtle on 01/09/20 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
I don’t like anybody very much.

Sad

Quote:
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.

Wink

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
I don’t like anybody very much.

Sad

Quote:
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.

Wink

I was actually talking about this game. It’s the kind of thing where you wish they could beat each other. All things considered, though, I haven’t thought UConn looked like a #1 this season. Baylor has looked better but their OOC schedule was so cupcakey that you really can’t tell much. I don’t get to see enough PAC-12 to make any judgments about Oregon or Stanford. So *shrug* what do I know?

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then there is Kim "I am not going to play UCONN again until Stewart leaves" Mulkey. Until you are sure you can outmatch them right, Kim.

UCONN will be there in the end in the Final Four again.

"Stomped UCONN." I believe the score until the 57-54 at the five-minute mark of the 4th quarter.
Harsh evaluation of Olivia by all and an overreaction to a bad game: Saying those things is akin to someone showing a grainy video of Kia Nurse as a high school player and telling everyone how bad she is. That kind of description.

They will be back. You can count on it. Go Huskies.

Last edited by Oldfandepot2 on 01/09/20 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just like that Oregon and Oregon State move up to 1 and 2 in the country.

What an unbelievable statement that just is when you look at how far those two programs have come in the last 10 years. Unreal and good for Oregon and Oregon State.

ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ONO got owned by Cox worse than the time Tina Charles did by Big Syl in that E8 game. Yeesh. Yet Geno continued to play Irwin... who sets screens and tries to take charges? More Rat and Griffin in her place please.

Howee

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WELL.

Riveting game, I'd say. It certainly *proves* some things:

1. The Big 12 is much stronger than the AAC. ( Razz Laughing)
2. Geno and Kim got some dang good talent.

That might be all that's 'provable'. Really. Like Kim said at the end, BOTH teams will be better by March.

Here's a few questions I couldn't figure out:

*Why would Baylor hoist 21 3s? They're usually in single digits, or around 10-ish (and Juicy hit 0!)---isn't that a strategy when you wanna loosen up the paint defense, or you're FGCU? Yet....they didn't do much penetrating or passing into the paint from what I saw.

*How did UConn ever let their Post Player larder get so low? I mean, 0 pts. from their 4 & 5 AIN'T a good omen.

*Is Kim looking rougher than ever, or was that just me? Hope she's okay. Shocked

myrtle wrote:
Irwin is really not an F. She may be listed at 6'2" but she ain't close to that. Her main feature is attempting to take charges.

Apparently, she did NOT under-study KLS closely enough all these years. Razz

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Harsh evaluation of Olivia by all and an overreaction to a bad game: Saying those things is akin to someone showing a grainy video of Kia Nurse as a high school player and telling everyone how bad she is. That kind of description.

It'a true I haven't watched a huge amount of UConn games, but the bits I have, she has continuously underwhelmed me. She's tall and has long arms and seems to do well against teams who don't have much of a post presence. But she does look 'better' than last year, so maybe she'll improve enough to get some minutes even after y'all bring in a couple of super stud bigs next year. Or is that the following year? Anyway, it just looks to me like she plays by default because you have no other height. Maybe if you don't have height next year, Geno will just play 5 wings.

- Amanda Gorman
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to the LBs.

Can't say I'm surprised. The better team won last year, and this.

Pathetic final 6:00 by UConn. Embarrassing, really.

This team may even lose to Tenn ffs.

Final Four looks as doubtful as it did in May.

04-05 redux...onward to the past.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Just like that Oregon and Oregon State move up to 1 and 2 in the country.

What an unbelievable statement that just is when you look at how far those two programs have come in the last 10 years. Unreal and good for Oregon and Oregon State.

Agree, are they going to maintain that level of excellence going forward as I don't their recruiting looks like in the coming years.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

It'a true I haven't watched a huge amount of UConn games, but the bits I have, she has continuously underwhelmed me. She's tall and has long arms and seems to do well against teams who don't have much of a post presence. But she does look 'better' than last year, so maybe she'll improve enough to get some minutes even after y'all bring in a couple of super stud bigs next year. Or is that the following year? Anyway, it just looks to me like she plays by default because you have no other height. Maybe if you don't have height next year, Geno will just play 5 wings.

Next year one big then the following year the same. She obviously had a bad game but this is not the ONO I saw play this summer in international competition or as apart of the USA National where she showed a myriad of inside moves that disappeared tonight for some inexplicable reason but give the best big in the game in Cox a lot of credit and her experience showed over a still growing inexperience talent.

Doubt that Geno will turn her aside next year in favor of a wing - she has way too much talent for that.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
Congrats to the LBs.

Can't say I'm surprised. The better team won last year, and this.

Pathetic final 6:00 by UConn. Embarrassing, really.

This team may even lose to Tenn ffs.

Final Four looks as doubtful as it did in May.

04-05 redux...onward to the past.

They will make the FF.

PostPosted: 01/09/20 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Uconn finally met a match up that exposed their weaknesses. Weaknesses that were fairly obvious at the beginning of the season. Those being a lack of a bench, especially at the post position. These things can not be coached away even by Geno. Lack of depth are what will kill you in the NCAA's. So will relying on a few players to carry you through games offensively. If any of those players go cold, you have no one to pick up the slack.

It appeared that Uconn was fired up on adrenaline from the beginning, but when that wore off, they ended up totally gassed at the end. That is what no depth will do if you have to give 100% the entire game.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: