RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 7:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I'd take Baylor and 2 pts. However Cooper wasn't so good vs S Carolina. 4 assists and 6 to's. Let's hope she is thinking about putting on another show ala Okl and bombs.

Mr Massey is happy to oblige- he's giving you 3.5 Very Happy

I'm not a believer in Cooper, as such, and was surprised at her stellar 3/1 ratio and thought it deserved mention.

I expect another low-scoring game in the neighborhood of last year's 68-57 result in Waco. Maybe 72-65ish. (Note: I swear I didn't know Massey's predicted total was the same).

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
linkster wrote:
I'd take Baylor and 2 pts. However Cooper wasn't so good vs S Carolina. 4 assists and 6 to's. Let's hope she is thinking about putting on another show ala Okl and bombs.

Mr Massey is happy to oblige- he's giving you 3.5 Very Happy

I'm not a believer in Cooper, as such, and was surprised at her stellar 3/1 ratio and thought it deserved mention.

I expect another low-scoring game in the neighborhood of last year's 68-57 result in Waco. Maybe 72-65ish. (Note: I swear I didn't know Massey's predicted total was the same).

Also not a believer in Cooper from her time at Tennessee. Not sure even Kim can fix what's wrong with her, since it's mostly in her head. (Sorry, I guess G-d will get me for that, but I just remember her attacking Jaime.)

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One other point: The game that matters between these two will be in March, so it's quite possible both teams will be very vanilla. No need to tip your hand now, as this game will be a distant memory when the tournament winds down.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
One other point: The game that matters between these two will be in March, so it's quite possible both teams will be very vanilla. No need to tip your hand now, as this game will be a distant memory when the tournament winds down.

Yeah, this game only matters if either team wants a #1 seed. Who would ever need one of those?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
myrtle

PostPosted: 01/08/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Yeah, this game only matters if either team wants a #1 seed. Who would ever need one of those?

maybe it matters for bragging rights but Baylor will still be in Texas, whether a #1 #2. Connecticut will still be in FT. Wayne or perhaps Greenville. I don't think either team is much worried about where they go.

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/20 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

maybe it matters for bragging rights but Baylor will still be in Texas, whether a #1 #2. Connecticut will still be in FT. Wayne or perhaps Greenville. I don't think either team is much worried about where they go.

UConn needs to beat one of S Car., Oregon or Baylor to insure a 2 seed and 2 of them for a one seed. I am sure neither coach wants to play a 1 seed in the E8 as it may mean having to beat 3 1's to win the title. As a fan I will be thrilled to see UConn as a 2 seed this year.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/20 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

UConn needs to beat one of S Car., Oregon or Baylor to insure a 2 seed and 2 of them for a one seed. I am sure neither coach wants to play a 1 seed in the E8 as it may mean having to beat 3 1's to win the title. As a fan I will be thrilled to see UConn as a 2 seed this year.

They were #2 seed last year .

PostPosted: 01/08/20 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
linkster wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Shades wrote:
ClayK wrote:

They were #2 seed last year .

Last year their 3 marquee games were all on the road. They won 1 and were a 2 seed. This year's team is much less experienced but they play 2 of their marquee games at home where they lose about as often as Halley's comet goes by.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/09/20 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Hopefully UConn won't shit their pants this year........
Expect Baylor to knock CT from the top spot for the 2nd straight year. Mad

Are you *jinxing*, ct? Razz

Nah, it won't help tonight.

Anything can happen- that's why they play the games. Very Happy

I expect a raucous crowd of gray beards and blue hairs at the XL!

PostPosted: 01/09/20 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't know at the beginning of the year what to expect from a team that lost two first-team All Americans and for the first time in years had no returning AA's. Expected minimum losses to Baylor and Oregon.

Well, here they are unexpectedly ranked number one in the country and about to battle the Bears. I have not a clue how this young untested team (other than DePaul) will perform tonight but do expect them to be right there come March/April contending for another national championship.

Go Huskies!!!

PostPosted: 01/09/20 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:
I didn't know at the beginning of the year what to expect from a team that lost two first-team All Americans and for the first time in years had no returning AA's. Expected minimum losses to Baylor and Oregon.

Well, here they are unexpectedly ranked number one in the country and about to battle the Bears. I have not a clue how this young untested team (other than DePaul) will perform tonight but do expect them to be right there come March/April contending for another national championship.

Go Huskies!!!

My feelings, exactly.

PostPosted: 01/15/20 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Although, I could see Geno fake-starting the senior Irwin over the freshman Aubrey Griffin, at least for the first part of the season. Geno has a long history of fake-starting lesser players.

Indeed. I will puke if Irwin starts other than due to injury or Senior Night.

Noting Geno's history, I will have a nearby barf bag on game nights.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/15/20 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Although, I could see Geno fake-starting the senior Irwin over the freshman Aubrey Griffin, at least for the first part of the season. Geno has a long history of fake-starting lesser players.

how has that barf bag been doing?

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 01/15/20 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Poor Kayla Irwin....how did that kid ever get recruited anyway? Did she have a stellar hs career, or something?

PostPosted: 01/15/20 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now y'all know how it feels. I can't say I'm sorry for you. You were ugly enough when Tennessee started going down the tubes, back when Pat's Alzheimer's started and nobody knew it. Please forgive me if I don't commiserate with you. I am not, however, rejoicing in your misery either. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

PostPosted: 01/15/20 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Poor Kayla Irwin....how did that kid ever get recruited anyway? Did she have a stellar hs career, or something?

She works really hard. She would be a regular on many other teams. Not a star, but a regular. It's just that we're used to UConn having 5 or 6 stars and this year they have maybe 3 1/2 so it seems like a down year. [before you ask, I'd say Williams and Walker are clearly stars; Dangerfield is sometimes a star; Ododa is 1/2 a star; and Griffin has the potential to maybe someday be a star. Of course none of the stars are true superstars, which we're used to seeing at least one of those every year as well]

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/15/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

She works really hard. She would be a regular on many other teams. Not a star, but a regular. It's just that we're used to UConn having 5 or 6 stars and this year they have maybe 3 1/2 so it seems like a down year. [before you ask, I'd say Williams and Walker are clearly stars; Dangerfield is sometimes a star; Ododa is 1/2 a star; and Griffin has the potential to maybe someday be a star. Of course none of the stars are true superstars, which we're used to seeing at least one of those every year as well]

Most of those girls would be starters or regularly coming off the bench on any other team. UConn fans are spoiled, and I believe their coach is a teensy bit spoiled also. Again, I'm not trying to be mean. I recognize just how spoiled we got at UT during the golden years, especially now that I'm at a mid-major. (And let me tell you, we have our share of spoiled fans here, too, wishing for Coach Brooks' golden season....which was before I got here.)

PostPosted: 01/15/20 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

how has that barf bag been doing?

it's like Stan and Wendy on South Park.

PostPosted: 01/15/20 8:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Now y'all know how it feels. I can't say I'm sorry for you. You were ugly enough when Tennessee started going down the tubes, back when Pat's Alzheimer's started and nobody knew it. Please forgive me if I don't commiserate with you. I am not, however, rejoicing in your misery either. It happens to everyone sooner or later.

You think UConn is done for good?

This is merely the 2nd Dark Age. When the first occurred, UConn had less than half the number of NCs as it does now.

There's a few more years of dismay left for many. Wink

PostPosted: 01/15/20 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You think UConn is done for good?

This is merely the 2nd Dark Age. When the first occurred, UConn had less than half the number of NCs as it does now.

There's a few more years of dismay left for many. Wink

Yeah, I myself am veryvery far from a UConn fan, and I personally expect that they have many banners still to hang before their run finally concludes.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/15/20 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect some of it will depend on Geno's health.

- Amanda Gorman
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 01/16/20 1:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

That sounds more like 2.875 stars to me.......

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 01/16/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I suspect some of it will depend on Geno's health.

The current team may age him several years.

PostPosted: 01/19/20 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is Geno's post-game presser after the Tulsa game. However, I'm posting it because of the interesting thoughts Geno recites in the the second half of the video. He talks about how the UConn-Tennessee game will never be, and should never be, the same. Then he reminisces about how the 89-91 team, which was honored at the game, was his favorite coaching time, and how the 91 team was the beginning of all of UConn's success. If that team hadn't reached the Final Four, according to Geno, none of the following successes would have happened.

<iframe width="466" height="262" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0bfayrCfD-A" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 01/24/20 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno post-Tennessee game about how he misses Pat, as we all do:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28549959/uconn-tennessee-women-basketball-rivalry-good-game

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: