RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#59 Ohio State @ #17 Maryland: 1.6.2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howee

PostPosted: 01/06/20 5:20 pm    ::: #59 Ohio State @ #17 Maryland: 1.6.2020 Reply Reply with quote

7 pm EST
XFINITY Center, College Park
ESPN2

Before Northwestern's drubbing last week, MD's only 2 losses were to superior teams. M'thinks Brenda is gonna try to *prove* something tonight, maybe? Buckeyes are in for a beating.... Shocked

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s pretty darned even so far. OSU 25-24 end of 1Q.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BTW this is Maryland’s first of three games in 6 1/2 days. The Terps travel to Iowa on Thursday (8 central) and Michigan on Sunday (noon eastern).

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to get a chance to see a Big 10 team on TV. If you don't get the BTN network, there's not many games. I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes - but only because the Bobcats already beat them and we could use a boost to our RPI.

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joe Foss wrote:
Glad to get a chance to see a Big 10 team on TV. If you don't get the BTN network, there's not many games. I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes - but only because the Bobcats already beat them and we could use a boost to our RPI.

Very Happy That's as good a reason as any!

Ohio St. looking better than I anticipated....I haven't seen them play yet.

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Ohio St. looking better than I anticipated....I haven't seen them play yet.

I don't know if they can keep hitting threes at this pace. But then again, since the Terps can't be bothered to get out and guard the perimeter, maybe they can.

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Terps looking far weaker than I expected this year. There is a distinct lack of beef underneath, which is unusual for the Terps. Shakira A. is quite slender and tends to disappear when confronted by a post who plays with authority.

They seem to want a floor general: they play like they're not quite sure who's in charge. "Let's give the ball to Kaila and see what she does with it..." which is a repeat of "Let's give the ball to Alyssa [Thomas] and see what she does with it" except that Alyssa was bigger and stronger than Kaila.

Joe Foss

PostPosted: 01/06/20 8:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too many freshmen handling the ball for Ohio State. What happened to Janai Crooms?

PostPosted: 01/06/20 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Never mind, Crooms is in there chucking the ball away along with the rest of them.

PostPosted: 01/07/20 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This game was a mess. It was pretty much a case of whoever threw away the ball least, won it.

PostPosted: 01/07/20 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you look at the Terps season stats for 3-pointers to date, they don't look too bad. But just out of curiosity, I checked the Big Ten stats page to see what Maryland's 3 pt shooting percentage is in conference games. It's a stunning .171, putting them dead last. The price is being paid for padding your stats against creampuffs.

Three point shooting:

Against SC, Mikesell and Watson went 1-9.
Against NC State, the pair did much better: 7-13.
Against NW, Mikesell/Watson went 4-13, but three of those were B. Watson.
Against OH St., the two of them went 1-11.

They still have time to turn that around, but they really need to develop their inside game to take some pressure off the perimeter.

And need I mention that Coach B. has never had a lot of success in teaching her charges how to protect the ball?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/08/20 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

geeceem wrote:
If you look at the Terps season stats for 3-pointers to date, they don't look too bad. But just out of curiosity, I checked the Big Ten stats page to see what Maryland's 3 pt shooting percentage is in conference games. It's a stunning .171, putting them dead last. The price is being paid for padding your stats against creampuffs.

Three point shooting:

Against SC, Mikesell and Watson went 1-9.
Against NC State, the pair did much better: 7-13.
Against NW, Mikesell/Watson went 4-13, but three of those were B. Watson.
Against OH St., the two of them went 1-11.

They still have time to turn that around, but they really need to develop their inside game to take some pressure off the perimeter.

And need I mention that Coach B. has never had a lot of success in teaching her charges how to protect the ball?

They went 6-16 as a team against JMU early in the season, but they also had 20 TOs, which is why they dang near lost that game. Also they shot a lousy 44% from the line.

PostPosted: 01/08/20 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
They went 6-16 as a team against JMU early in the season, but they also had 20 TOs, which is why they dang near lost that game. Also they shot a lousy 44% from the line.

If you really want to see a crazy-making stat, look at the Terps' numbers against North Carolina in the 2006 NCAA semi-final: the Terps went 1-8 from 3 pt range and had 26 turnovers--no, "26 turnovers" is not a typo--and still won by 11 pts.

What are the implications for your coaching strategy when you win a national semi-final with numbers like that?

(The stats page for this game has disappeared from the Terps' stats archive; stats for all the other 2005-06 Terps' games appear to be in place. I remember seeing them first in the Terps' archive, but had to retrieve them from the Tar Heels' archive to confirm my recollection.)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: