RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

The Rise And Fall of Women’s College Basketball Dynasties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taropatch

PostPosted: 01/06/20 9:29 pm    ::: The Rise And Fall of Women’s College Basketball Dynasties Reply Reply with quote

Since there was some chatter on the definition of dynasties in the "Fire McCallie" thread, I thought this article might be of interest. There is a look at the old dynasties and the new with an interesting set of metrics.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/louisiana-tech-was-the-uconn-of-the-80s/

Howee

PostPosted: 01/07/20 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting data and graphics. I was surprised to see Duke rank 4th on that comparative chart, and ODU to rank so lowly (18th). Also surprised to see that Maryland ranked above Notre Dame by that metric. Shocked

PostPosted: 01/08/20 12:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really puts into perspective how not just east of the Rockies, but east of the Mississippi women's college basketball had been. Up until pretty recently (barely even the past decade), Div. I WBB west of the Rockies other than Stanford's program was virtually an afterthought compared to the rest of the country's programs. *Drake voice* Started from the bottom now we're here

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/09/20 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Also surprised to see that Maryland ranked above Notre Dame by that metric. Shocked

That's probably due to the 80s and 90s. ND never received an NCAA Tournament bid until 1992 (Ironically during McGraw's only losing season as a coach. They won their conference tournament (the MCC, which had finally been given an automatic bid that year) and became the first team with a losing record to get a bid). The year before that they had spent most of the season in the rankings around #20 and dropped out right before their conference tournament, which meant they were right outside the rankings, yet weren't invited.

It wasn't until 1996 that they won an NCAA Tournament game (that year coincides with their joining the Big East). Until 2011, they only made it past the Sweet Sixteen twice (1997 and 2001, when they made the Final Four and won the NC respectively).

Also, it took quite a while for ND to get the respect in seeding. I think it took quite a few serious upsets (#3 seed Texas on their own court, #1 seed Texas Tech on their home court the following year (I think the back to back upsets finally got the Committee to stop sending ND to that state, which they had done for 3 straight years) and #3 KSU on their home court when ND was a #11 seed) for ND to really start getting more respect in the seeding.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/09/20 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Really puts into perspective how not just east of the Rockies, but east of the Mississippi women's college basketball had been. Up until pretty recently (barely even the past decade), Div. I WBB west of the Rockies other than Stanford's program was virtually an afterthought compared to the rest of the country's programs. *Drake voice* Started from the bottom now we're here

Well, except for Long Beach St. and those two NCs by USC... Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: