RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/06/20 4:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Duke star Rebecca Greenwell aims for 2020 WNBA debut, from High Post Hoops.

Quote:
...after Greenwell decided to have her sixth knee surgery last fall, she declined an offer from Mystics head coach Mike Thibault to renounce her rights and allow her to sign with another team. “You’re the number one team I’d love to play for,” she told him.

toad455

PostPosted: 01/06/20 9:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Former Duke star Rebecca Greenwell aims for 2020 WNBA debut, from High Post Hoops.

Quote:
...after Greenwell decided to have her sixth knee surgery last fall, she declined an offer from Mystics head coach Mike Thibault to renounce her rights and allow her to sign with another team. “You’re the number one team I’d love to play for,” she told him.

She's such a longshot to make the roster, but good luck to her.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Aladyyn

PostPosted: 01/06/20 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's a great mindset to have, and I think the Mystics are a good choice despite the quality of the roster. If she's good enough she'll get in, regardless of factors like draft position. And if she's good enough to get meaningful minutes, she will Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 01/06/20 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
That's a great mindset to have, and I think the Mystics are a good choice despite the quality of the roster. If she's good enough she'll get in, regardless of factors like draft position. And if she's good enough to get meaningful minutes, she will Smile

Kiara Leslie plays the same position, which doesn’t bode well for Greenwell’s odds. Thibault willing to rescind her rights means he doesn’t think she’ll have much of a chance and maybe she’d have a better chance on a different team. Greenwell not wanting to have her rights rescinded probably shows she knows no other team will invite her to camp.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
toad455

PostPosted: 01/06/20 7:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, Thibault held a roster spot of Leslie all season. Greenwell just doesn't stand much of a chance unless half the team bolts elsewhere or retires.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 01/21/20 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics will have a tough time offering Elena Delle Donne, Emma Meesseman and Kristi Toliver max salaries this season
The specifics of the 2019 WNBA CBA are starting to trickle out. One of the realities is that they can’t offer maximum salaries to all of their top contributors...
By Albert Lee@aleeinthedmv Jan 20, 2020, 9:00am EST
https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2020/1/20/21068210/washington-mystics-free-agency-emma-meesseman-elena-delle-donne-kristi-toliver

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/21/20 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Four games to watch as the Washington Mystics defend 2019 WNBA title
Jenn Hatfield (High Post Hoops)

The unbalanced schedule looks favorable, but it’s hard to say for sure right now.
With 36 games in a 12-team league, each team plays eight teams three times and three teams four times. The teams Washington plays four times are Atlanta, New York, and Indiana—all non-playoff teams a season ago.

https://highposthoops.com/2020/01/18/wnba-champions-washington-mystics-release-2020-schedule/

pilight

PostPosted: 01/21/20 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fortunately, the Mystics can pay Toliver through her Wizards coaching job

PostPosted: 01/21/20 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Carol Anne wrote:
The Mystics will have a tough time offering Elena Delle Donne, Emma Meesseman and Kristi Toliver max salaries this season
The specifics of the 2019 WNBA CBA are starting to trickle out. One of the realities is that they can’t offer maximum salaries to all of their top contributors...
https://www.bulletsforever.com/mystics/2020/1/20/21068210/washington-mystics-free-agency-emma-meesseman-elena-delle-donne-kristi-toliver

They can max all three and stay under, based on the numbers I have. But it would mean keeping 11 players most of the season rather than 12.

PostPosted: 01/21/20 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

They can max all three and stay under, based on the numbers I have. But it would mean keeping 11 players most of the season rather than 12.

Does prevent them from getting any big name FA's I would think. I suppose they could trade players like Powers, Howard, etc for cap space (or FRP 2021)....

PostPosted: 01/21/20 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Carol Anne wrote:

They basically only had 11 last season, so.... I doubt Mestadagh shows. Just a matter who else they keep. Kiara Leslie? The #12 pick? Hines-Allen?

PG: Cloud
SG: Toliver/Walker-Kimbrough
SF: Atkins/Powers
PF: Delle Donne/Meesseman
C: Sanders/Hawkins

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/21/20 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Does prevent them from getting any big name FA's I would think. I suppose they could trade players like Powers, Howard, etc for cap space (or FRP 2021)....

Yeah, they're basically not in the Bonner/McCoughtry etc. sweepstakes unless one of EDD/Toliver/Meesseman doesn't re-sign, or they go through a lot of manoeuvring. Or of course people could agree to take less to make some things possible, but even that's probably a stretch in this case.

Also means their first-round pick this year (#12) may well end up as camp fodder. Whoever it is would have to beat out Walker-Kimbrough, Hines-Allen or Leslie to stick, just based on what they already have (and assuming their big three all re-sign).

PostPosted: 01/21/20 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Meesseman going to be there at the beginning of the year? If she doesn't join them until after the Olympics, I believe they can save cap space simply by waiting to sign her. That's where NY screwed up last season. Johannes and Stokes signed contracts early that had to be carried against the cap even though Marine didn't show up until midseason and Kiah never joined the team at all. That made it harder for them to get a replacement player when Zahui and Hartley left for national team duty and Allen broke her hand. Initially, NY didn't have enough cap room.

And the crowd that has come
You give them the colors
And the bells and wind and the dream
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: