RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

when did it become "own-yun-WED-a"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 01/05/20 3:17 pm    ::: when did it become "own-yun-WED-a"? Reply Reply with quote

been meaning to bring this up since watching my 1st UCLA game a while back.

I admit I cringed most times I heard "Onion-wear" last year...so, when/who/why was this official change made?

PostPosted: 01/05/20 4:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://uclabruins.com/sports/womens-basketball/roster
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 01/05/20 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Near as I can tell, Michaela basically spent her first two years as a Bruin allowing everyone (coaches, commentators, the P.A. guy, everyone) to mispronounce her last name. Maybe she thought it would be impolite to correct people? But this summer, apparently, Michaela decided she'd prefer to have her name pronounced correctly. Which I doubt anyone could blame her for.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/05/20 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just wondered where that last 'd' came from...[shrug] On the link on their roster where she pronounces it, I don't hear a 'd'. Recently I cringed at some announcer calling her onion-weary...so I guess a pronunciation guide was in order.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/05/20 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU’s Eleanore Marciszewski has a similar problem. Last year announcers kept calling her “mar-SHOE-ski”. This year it’s “mar-SHESS-ki” or occasionally “mar-CHESS-ki” which are probably a little closer to right, although having grown up near a big Polish community I’d say neither one quite gets it.

PostPosted: 01/05/20 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
JMU’s Eleanore Marciszewski has a similar problem. Last year announcers kept calling her “mar-SHOE-ski”. This year it’s “mar-SHESS-ki” or occasionally “mar-CHESS-ki” which are probably a little closer to right, although having grown up near a big Polish community I’d say neither one quite gets it.

This reminds me of the inimitable Mike Krzyzewski: American phonetics might have it said Krizy-ZOO-ski, and I *think* I hear it said: Shuh-SHEF-ski. Coach K is the best option, imo. All fun, and I'd like to think the names in question are borne by those who can take a degree of butchering on their monikers.

PostPosted: 01/05/20 11:26 pm    ::: Re: when did it become "own-yun-WED-a"? Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
been meaning to bring this up since watching my 1st UCLA game a while back.

I admit I cringed most times I heard "Onion-wear" last year...so, when/who/why was this official change made?
According to UCLA’s media guide it’s “ON yen where”

https://uclabruins.com/documents/2019/10/21//TOC_Quick_Facts_Schedule_Roster.pdf?id=21786

Page 5

PostPosted: 01/05/20 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On the link above from GM, she pronounces the name herself. It actually sounds quite beautiful when she says it.

osubeavers

PostPosted: 01/05/20 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LitePal wrote:
On the link above from GM, she pronounces the name herself. It actually sounds quite beautiful when she says it.

Didn’t see the little ear icon. UCLA needs to either correct or eliminate that incorrect pronunciation guide. Someone also needs to inform Cori Close. In PAC-12 media day interviews she was referring to her own player as “Onion-wear”.

Last edited by osubeavers on 01/07/20 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 01/06/20 3:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Commentators from both the college and professional ranks as well as the rest of us best get used to saying "own-yun-WED-a" cuz we'll be talking about her quite a bit from here on out. Cool

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 01/06/20 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure she's pronouncing the "r" quite as a "d", but rather as as a "tapped r" as in the High Valerian, Dothraki and Klingon languages.
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/06/20 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m hearing “own-YEN-where-eh” with a slightly rolling R, where the tongue slapping against the bottom of the mouth makes a slight clicking noise, which is the D sound some of you are hearing.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/07/20 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
I'm not sure she's pronouncing the "r" quite as a "d", but rather as as a "tapped r" as in the High Valerian, Dothraki and Klingon languages.

Also similar to the soft "d" in Spanish whenever an "r" is in the middle of a word. It's closer to a "th" than a hard "d."

~rAf
taropatch

PostPosted: 01/07/20 1:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
I’m hearing “own-YEN-where-eh” with a slightly rolling R, where the tongue slapping against the bottom of the mouth makes a slight clicking noise, which is the D sound some of you are hearing.

yes, as in japanese too.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: