RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Conference Power Rankings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/29/19 12:16 am    ::: Conference Power Rankings Reply Reply with quote

Solidly IN
In CONTENTION
Solidly OUT

Atlantic Coast Conference
1. Louisville
2. Florida State
3. NC State (-2)
4. North Carolina (+5)
5. Syracuse
6. Miami (+2)
7. Virginia Tech (-2)
8. Georgia Tech (-2)

9. Wake Forest (-2)
10. Duke
11. Virginia (-2)
12. Clemson
13. Boston College
14. Notre Dame (-2)
15. Pitt

Big 12 Conference
1. Baylor
2. West Virginia
3. TCU

4. Texas
5. Oklahoma (+4)
6. Iowa State (-2)
7. Texas Tech
8. Kansas State (+2)
9. Kansas
10. Oklahoma State (-3)

Big Ten
1. Indiana
2. Rutgers
3. Iowa
4. Northwestern
5. Maryland

6. Michigan (-3)
7. Ohio State (+2)
8. Nebraska
9. Purdue
10. Michigan State (-3)
11. Penn State (+2)
12. Minnesota
13. Illinois
14. Wisconsin

PAC 12
1. UCLA (+3)
2. Stanford
3. Oregon State (-2)
4. Oregon (-2)
5. ASU
6. Arizona

7. Colorado
8. Washington State
9. Washington
10. California
11. Utah
12. USC (-2)

SEC
1. South Carolina
2. Mississippi State
3. Kentucky
4. Arkansas
5. Texas A&M (-3)
6. Tennessee

7. LSU (+3)
8. Missouri
9. Alabama (-2)
10. Vanderbilt (+2)
11. Georgia (-3)
12. Florida
13. Auburn
14. Ole Miss

Last edited by PickledGinger on 01/15/20 7:38 pm; edited 5 times in total
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 12/29/19 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great job, but did you accidentally hit the bold function for the Big 10 instead of the italics function?

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/29/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm surprised that Ohio State is marked as solidly out with a win over Louisville on their resume.

Matt5762

PostPosted: 12/29/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Some of these look about right and others don't really compute for me.

Like the Big XII for instance. I guess it's a total crapshoot after #1 anyways, but I'm not really sure how you got Texas Tech at #4 and Kansas at #10. Both are unbeaten and as cupcake schedules go, Kansas's has been significantly tougher than Texas Tech's.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/29/19 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I based this on:

1) Performance Relative to Each Other
2) Coaching Strength
3) The Eye Test

I’m super OK with disagreements based on that. I suspect that the next couple weeks of conference season will be very informative as to how things look to shape out.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/29/19 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And yes, the Big 12 is a sh!tshow right now, but I would like to throw out there that Kansas received 10 TOTAL points in the Big 12 Preseason Poll, which means that even their OWN COACH voted for them to finish last. So you’ll have to finish my lack of faith.

GEF34

PostPosted: 12/29/19 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
And yes, the Big 12 is a sh!tshow right now, but I would like to throw out there that Kansas received 10 TOTAL points in the Big 12 Preseason Poll, which means that even their OWN COACH voted for them to finish last. So you’ll have to finish my lack of faith.

Coaches aren’t allowed to vote for their own team, so Kansas’s coach couldn’t have picked them to finish last.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Coaches aren’t allowed to vote for their own team, so Kansas’s coach couldn’t have picked them to finish last.

Hmmm...interesting wording in the release. Anyway, I admit that this is largely speculative at this point.

Also would like to point out that after the first full day of conference play for the ACC, Big Ten and SEC, the only team to lose to someone I ranked lower than them was Notre Dame. I’ll take that so far lol.

Last edited by PickledGinger on 12/30/19 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would make a few changes to your rankings, but it is really speculation at this point. The one issue I will take issue with is the total teams for the power conferences, which you have at 35. That would mean they would get all but 2 of the at-large selections. I suspect that there will be 5 at large teams from other conferences (last year there were 6) which will drop the total from the power 5 to 32 total.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
Great job, but did you accidentally hit the bold function for the Big 10 instead of the italics function?

Shocked I was thinking the same thing....Penn State, Wisconsin, 'solidly IN'?? Laughing

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Hmmm...interesting wording in the release. Anyway, I admit that this is largely speculative at this point.

Also would like to point out that after the first full day of conference play for the ACC, Big Ten and SEC, the only team to lose to someone I ranked lower than them was Notre Dame.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 12/30/19 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I based this on:

1) Performance Relative to Each Other
2) Coaching Strength
3) The Eye Test

I’m super OK with disagreements based on that. I suspect that the next couple weeks of conference season will be very informative as to how things look to shape out.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/06/20 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated. Changes of more than 1 ranking are noted in parenthesis.

I did the B1G's first day before deciding to do it all every Monday, so this ranking doesn't reflect how far MINNESOTA fell. They were 5th in my initial ranking, meaning they dropped 6 spots and were this weeks BIGGEST LOSER! LSU and California also took significant tumbles after some unexpected losses.

Conincidentally, this week's BIGGEST WINNER went 6 ranks in the other direction in the B1G, having started the week at 10 and ending at 4 after blowing out Northwestern a few days after they themselves routed then-No. 1 Maryland. Congratulations to IOWA. Wake Forest's surprising wins over Duke and Georgia Tech get them an honorable mentinon; as well as Missouri, who's win over a previously tournement-bound LSU get them out from being firmly in the SEC basement.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 01/15/20 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Week 3 on the books and things are starting to even out. North Carolina made the biggest jump this week, with Oklahoma also making a solid bump as well.

Biggest losers are Michigan State, Georgia and Oklahoma State, who all played themselves out of the tournament this week.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: