RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil

PostPosted: 12/23/19 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Phil wrote:
Tennessee as an eight seed? They haven't beaten a single team that's going to make the tournament.

UConn has only beaten one and they're a #1 seed

???

Connecticut has beaten DePaul, Oklahoma and Ohio State. I won't disagree that they are ranked too high but where Connecticut is placed has nothing to do with whether Tennessee is appropriately ranked.

Edited to add Oklahoma

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/24/19 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s still questionable that Oklahoma will make it. Ohio State still has plenty of work to do although the Louisville win is a good start, but a middling BIG season won’t cut it again. For Oklahoma, a team that loses to Houston and Wichita State just isn’t a tourney team.

So, 2 at most unless California miraculously does well in the Pac

pilight

PostPosted: 12/24/19 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal got a #8 seed last year. Their first win over a tournament team came on January 31st.

PostPosted: 12/24/19 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Cal got a #8 seed last year. Their first win over a tournament team came on January 31st.

Or November 13.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/26/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
It’s still questionable that Oklahoma will make it. Ohio State still has plenty of work to do although the Louisville win is a good start, but a middling BIG season won’t cut it again. For Oklahoma, a team that loses to Houston and Wichita State just isn’t a tourney team.

Perhaps, but I listed teams making it per Creme. Frankly, I think some of those chosen are questionable, but we need some well-defined metric, and Creme's picks seems as good as anything.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/26/19 5:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:

Perhaps, but I listed teams making it per Creme. Frankly, I think some of those chosen are questionable, but we need some well-defined metric, and Creme's picks seems as good as anything.

Edit I didn't post twice, not sure why this is here

patsweetpat

PostPosted: 12/27/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Phil wrote:
I see Charlie has UCLA as a 3 seed and Florida State as a two. I would probably swap those two.

Both are undefeated.
UCLA's played a tougher schedule (Massey ranked number 31 versus 57)
UCLA's best win is over Indiana, arguably better than Florida State's best win over Texas A&M.

In Florida State's favor — their win over Texas A&M was more resounding than UCLA's win (which, by the way, was a fairly ugly game, at least early. I couldn't bear to keep watching.)

Of course none of this matters this early, but my favorite UCLA-related nugget in the current Bracketology is that Charlie has placed UCLA in UConn's region. If that should come to pass, it will be the 4th time in the last 5 consecutive NCAA Tournaments that UCLA has been placed into UConn's region... something that could only be interpreted as the world's-weirdest practical joke played by the tournament committee, and I for one will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh about it, because really what else is there to do?

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/27/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Phil wrote:
I see Charlie has UCLA as a 3 seed and Florida State as a two. I would probably swap those two.

Both are undefeated.
UCLA's best win is over Indiana, arguably better than Florida State's best win over Texas A&M.

In Florida State's favor — their win over Texas A&M was more resounding than UCLA's win (which, by the way, was a fairly ugly game, at least early. I couldn't bear to keep watching.)

Of course none of this matters this early, but my favorite UCLA-related nugget in the current Bracketology is that Charlie has placed UCLA in UConn's region. If that should come to pass, it will be the 4th time in the last 5 consecutive NCAA Tournaments that UCLA has been placed into UConn's region... something that could only be interpreted as the world's-weirdest practical joke played by the tournament committee, and I for one will laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh and laugh about it, because really what else is there to do?

I noticed that too...and knew you would mention it. Cool Well, fortunately this is just Charlie's bracket and not the real thing. There is hope. [at least you're not an 8 seed in Bridgeport]

- Amanda Gorman
linkster

PostPosted: 12/27/19 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Phil wrote:

Both are undefeated.

An even more "odd coincidence" is that Tenn and UConn have not been in the same region for over a dozen years. There was a time when they both were one seeds but that has not been the case for 10 years. My old stat professor would say it's a near certainty that something besides coincidence is responsible.
The reason for that oddity must be the "double secret" appendix to the committee's Policies and Procedures. LOL

calbearman76

PostPosted: 12/27/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
Phil wrote:

Both are undefeated.

An even more "odd coincidence" is that Tenn and UConn have not been in the same region for over a dozen years. There was a time when they both were one seeds but that has not been the case for 10 years. My old stat professor would say it's a near certainty that something besides coincidence is responsible.
The reason for that oddity must be the "double secret" appendix to the committee's Policies and Procedures. LOL

UConn and Tennessee have been in the same region 4 times since 1989. In 1989 Tennessee was a1 seed and UConn was an 8 seed, but UConn lost to LaSalle in the play-in round. In 1990 they were again in the same region but UConn as a 4 seed lost to Clemson the round before they would have faced the Lady Vols. In 1993 Tennessee was a 1 and UConn was a 6, but they lost their first game to 11 seed Louisville. Finally, in 1997 they actually played in a regional when #3 seed Tennessee upset #1 seed UConn 91-81 in Hawkeye Arena.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/03/20 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Updated this morning:

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/03/20 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn would be happy with that arrangement.

- Amanda Gorman
pilight

PostPosted: 01/20/20 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New projection today

And a story

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28520966/should-baylor-south-carolina-no-1-overall-seed-bracketology

PostPosted: 01/20/20 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mistake post; please delete. Smile

Shades

PostPosted: 01/20/20 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

Your daddy has been hitting the sauce a little too hard. Minnesota loses its best player, loses to Illinois, and they’re still good enough to make his silly bracket?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 01/20/20 11:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

Your daddy has been hitting the sauce a little too hard. Minnesota loses its best player, loses to Illinois, and they’re still good enough to make his silly bracket?

Haha. That's means the bubble is really weak. That and possibly Purdue made themselves look overrated, like most seasons, and are going to lose every game from now on, so the bump Minnesota got for beating them will go away. Smile

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/20/20 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow - Marquette is back in the projections - wasn't expecting that after their loss at Butler. Still a long ways to go and still think they are more likely to go to the WNIT. But I am super impressed that their name has even come up as a potential NCAA Tournament team with all they graduated. I'm impressed with the job Megan Duffy has done so far although I'm also resigned to the fact she probably won't last at MU very long before another program hires her.

myrtle

PostPosted: 01/20/20 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Big 10 with 9! And none of them higher than a 4 seed. That's totally weird! Almost like he can't decide who to put in because they're all mediocre so he put them all in!

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Big 10 with 9! And none of them higher than a 4 seed. That's totally weird! Almost like he can't decide who to put in because they're all mediocre so he put them all in!

Three among the last four in. It will shake out by the time the season is over.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/20/20 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's near the time that Charlie makes his trip to meet with the committee. They give him their S16 and when he publishes his selections they jive almost to a T. Then, when the actual bracket is published he looks like a master of prediction and the NCAA can use his bracket to validate their own. Rolling Eyes

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/28/20 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was updated today:

PRballer

PostPosted: 01/29/20 8:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting that they have two Ivy League teams in there - like that!

As for Tennessee, I'm still surprised they are #51 in the RPI, but playing the likes of Howard and Arkansas-Pine Bluff are clearly hurting them. Weak SOS. I figured playing UConn and beating LSU would get them up into the 40's at least. An 8-seed seems too low for them. I would say they are a 6 seed based on what we've currently seen. If they are indeed 4th/5th in the SEC, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them as a 6 or 7, but they'd need a big upset over someone ahead of them to make a jump at this point.

Other thoughts-
-My thought was with their loss to Duke, Georgia Tech would be knocked out.
-Colorado, per the eye test, seems like an NCAA tournament team. Had they knocked off Stanford, I don't know if they would be on the bubble?
-Don't think the Big Ten is a nine-bid league, sorry. 7? Yes
-MVC will get in two teams, not three.
-Shocked Iowa State and Syracuse are so out of the conversation based on the talent they have. I really can't believe the 'Cuse fell as far as they did.
-Hoping Arizona gets a convincing win so they can host as a Top 16 seed. Much more ideal to have an NCAA tournament game in Tucson vs. Evanston, where they simply don't draw.

ucbart

PostPosted: 01/29/20 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
Interesting that they have two Ivy League teams in there - like that!

As for Tennessee, I'm still surprised they are #51 in the RPI, but playing the likes of Howard and Arkansas-Pine Bluff are clearly hurting them. Weak SOS. I figured playing UConn and beating LSU would get them up into the 40's at least. An 8-seed seems too low for them. I would say they are a 6 seed based on what we've currently seen. If they are indeed 4th/5th in the SEC, then I wouldn't be surprised to see them as a 6 or 7, but they'd need a big upset over someone ahead of them to make a jump at this point.

Other thoughts-
-My thought was with their loss to Duke, Georgia Tech would be knocked out.
-Colorado, per the eye test, seems like an NCAA tournament team. Had they knocked off Stanford, I don't know if they would be on the bubble?
-Don't think the Big Ten is a nine-bid league, sorry. 7? Yes
-MVC will get in two teams, not three.
-Shocked Iowa State and Syracuse are so out of the conversation based on the talent they have. I really can't believe the 'Cuse fell as far as they did.
-Hoping Arizona gets a convincing win so they can host as a Top 16 seed. Much more ideal to have an NCAA tournament game in Tucson vs. Evanston, where they simply don't draw.

I will step in here on the Syracuse front, since I live here and I'm a season ticket holder.

**They don't have a PG. I mean, they do, but she is on the bench for the season and we all know why. They have a PG on the floor in Kiara Lewis, but she isn't a PG. She is a scorer and not a facilitator of an offense. She will be a perfect SG next to Mangakahia next year.
**Q isn't the best X's and O's coach. The team can be very one on one and they don't run a fluid offense.
**Engstler is a STUD in waiting. She has so many gifts and so much skill, but she needs to play with people are much more disciplined. Often time the guards just dribble the ball around and the rest of the players are just left to watch.....which takes her out of the game. And when your most talented player and best passer stands and watches, good things generally don't happen. She is also still young, she gets in foul trouble way too much, because she is slow defensively....which leads me to her conditioning. If she wants to be truly elite, and she can be, she needs to improve her conditioning, BAD! I refuse to body shame, but she simply can' stay in games long enough and be effective because she gets tired.
**They have no athleticism on the wing(Priscilla Williams will help that)
**I have never seen a team in my LIFE that has post players miss more wide open layups. EVER!!

I seriously don't think it can be understated how much Tiana is the heart and soul of this team. She is not only their best player, shooter, passer, facilitator, and defender....she is without question the LEADER of Syracuse.

mred

PostPosted: 01/29/20 3:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

For Iowa State, most fans (myself included) assumed this would be a WNIT season at best. There is some great talent at the top -- Ashley Joens and Kristin Scott in particular -- but they are really thin at post and have a PG-by-committee situation that is working OK but isn't what Alexa Middleton provided last season. Overall the depth just isn't great, although that was helped recently when Madison Wise came back a couple weeks ago after sitting out 10 games with health issues.

Next season they have a top-10 class coming in with 4 top-80 guards (two PG, two SG) as well as transfer post Lindsey Jarosinski coming off her redshirt season. Using season-to-date stats, the top four on the team in points, top two in rebounds, and top three in assists all return next year. Needless to say, 2020-21 expectations are higher than this season.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 01/29/20 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Regarding the Quse, and Barts comments about Qs knowledge of X and Os, I wonder how much not having Tammi and Adeniyi on staff is contributing to that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: