RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Who's The All-Time Greatest Team USA Player?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Genero36

PostPosted: 12/24/19 3:57 pm    ::: Who's The All-Time Greatest Team USA Player? Reply Reply with quote

4 Gold Medals
Sue Bird, Tamika Catchings, Teresa Edwards, Lisa Leslie, Diana Taurasi

3 Gold Medals
Seimone Augustus, Sylvia Fowles, Katie Smith, Dawn Staley, Sheryl Swoopes

Highest FT% (at least 35 attempts)
1. Diana Taurasi
2. Dawn Staley
3. Cynthia Cooper

Highest PPG
1. Cheryl Miller
2. Medina Mixon
3. Lisa Leslie
4. Lusia Harris
5. Katrina McClain

Most Rebounds
1. Lisa Leslie
2. Katrina McClain
3. Tamika Catchings
4. Sylvia Fowles
5. Yolanda Griffith

Most Assists
1. Teresa Edwards
2. Sue Bird
3. Dawn Staley
4. Diana Taurasi
5. Sheryl Swoopes

Most Steals
[/size]1. Teresa Edwards
2. Tamika Catchings
3. Katrina McClain
4. Sheryl Swoopes
5. Suzie McConnell

Most Blocks
1. Lisa Leslie
2. Candace Parker
3. Anne Donovan
4. Katrina McClain
5. Tamika Catchings

PostPosted: 12/24/19 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1.) Leslie, 2.) Edwards, 3.) Catchings.

Spark4Life

PostPosted: 12/24/19 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa.

toad455

PostPosted: 12/25/19 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Bird & Taurasi get their 5th Gold, does it make them #1 & #2?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Randy

PostPosted: 12/25/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NO.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/25/19 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

#Compilers

What would make Bird or Taurasi better than Olympians who were dominant in an era when playing on the Olympic Team five times wasn't even an option that was offered? What would the Olympic scoring record look like if Cheryl Miller had actually wanted (and was allowed to) play on the team five times?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Iluvacc

PostPosted: 12/25/19 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:

#Compilers

What would make Bird or Taurasi better than Olympians who were dominant in an era when playing on the Olympic Team five times wasn't even an option that was offered? What would the Olympic scoring record look like if Cheryl Miller had actually wanted (and was allowed to) play on the team five times?

X______

I'm going with La Leslie as well.

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 12/25/19 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/25/19 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
toad455 wrote:

#Compilers

It wasn't an option because the players either retired or weren't good enough. Bird and Taurasi should still be on the team given what they bring.

Staley was pretty bad her last Olympics, and she was on the team and played a lot.

PostPosted: 12/25/19 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUKbpdLXgA0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKbpdLXgA0

PostPosted: 12/26/19 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Teresa Edwards. It is not even close. She has played over 200 games for Team USA. No one else has shown that sort of dedication. She could have contributed in 2004, since she got the Lynx to the playoffs that summer. She would definitely have been better than Catchings in 2016 was.

PostPosted: 12/26/19 8:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
<embed><iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUKbpdLXgA0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUKbpdLXgA0

T. #1 is Teresa Edwards.

~rAf
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/26/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

To me, it's not a participation award ... Lisa Leslie was the difference-maker when the U.S. actually had a chance to lose.

PostPosted: 12/26/19 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
To me, it's not a participation award ... Lisa Leslie was the difference-maker when the U.S. actually had a chance to lose.

Indeed, when the US did lose in the 1994 World Championships, Tara Vanderveer had Leslie on the bench in crunch time while allowing Teresa Edwards to shoot us out of the game with a 5/25 effort.

PostPosted: 12/26/19 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lisa Leslie

PostPosted: 12/26/19 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
It wasn't an option because the players either retired or weren't good enough. Bird and Taurasi should still be on the team given what they bring.

There is nothing that either Bird or Taurasi brought to the team that could not have been brought by someone else.

Quote:
Staley was pretty bad her last Olympics, and she was on the team and played a lot.

And you think that proves what? Do you believe that USAB should be obliged to let these women play, until they can't play, any more?

Genero36

PostPosted: 12/26/19 8:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Indeed, when the US did lose in the 1994 World Championships, Tara Vanderveer had Leslie on the bench in crunch time while allowing Teresa Edwards to shoot us out of the game with a 5/25 effort.

I don't mind Leslie being considered #1 but I wouldn't define that moment/game for Teresa Edwards Team USA career. She is the foundation of what Team USA has become. Way too many pros for that one con.

PostPosted: 12/26/19 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

There is nothing that either Bird or Taurasi brought to the team that could not have been brought by someone else.

I don't think that's true. The team clearly needed Bird as of pretty recently. And Team USA hadn't found a heir apparent to the duo to groom, which is typically the point of keeping the vets.

Quote:

And you think that proves what? Do you believe that USAB should be obliged to let these women play, until they can't play, any more?[/quote]

The women play year round, players like Staley, Taurasi, Bird, and Catch (who, again, wasn't playing at the level that Taurasi and Bird are playing at) show a commitment to USA basketball that many other players do not. Yeah, they earned their spots.

And it's the way USA basketball works - it's just no one complained about it until it was Bird and Taurasi.

PostPosted: 12/27/19 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Catchings was not playing at the Level of Taurasi or Bird currently ? What level are they on ? They've been pretty crappy thus far on this college tour. Catch was on her own level no disclaimers needed.

PostPosted: 12/27/19 1:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Catchings was not playing at the Level of Taurasi or Bird currently ? What level are they on ? They've been pretty crappy thus far on this college tour. Catch was on her own level no disclaimers needed.

Also, defense counts.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/27/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Also, defense counts.

+1

PostPosted: 12/27/19 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For all the stats geeks out there.

Pre-qualifying Tournament Stats

Player A 52% fg, 50% 3ptr, 18 assists, 5 turnovers, 7 steals.
Player B 44% fg, 60% 3ptr, 12 assists, 3 turnovers, 7 steals.
Player C 30% fg, 33% 3ptr, 10 assists, 5 turnovers, 5 steals.
Player D 0 fg, 0 3ptr, 7 assists, 4 turnovers, 2 steals. (Played in only 1 game).

Fall College Tour

Player A 47% fg, 25% 3ptr, 12 assists, 4 turnovers, 0 steals.
Player B 43%fg, 56% 3ptr, 13 assists, 4 turnovers 2 steals.
Player C 40% fg, 36% 3ptr, 9 assists, 3 turnovers, 1 steal.
Player D 52% fg, 45% 3pts, 26 assists, 4 turnovers, 2 steals.

Player A should definitely be on the team, ditto for Player B who's been the best 3 pt shooter by far and Player D. Player C should be watching from the stands in Tokyo.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/28/19 12:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I don't think that's true. The team clearly needed Bird as of pretty recently.

Needed her to do what?

Quote:
And Team USA hadn't found a heir apparent to the duo to groom, which is typically the point of keeping the vets.

If USAB hadn't found worthy replacements for Bird and Taurasi, it's only because they weren't trying to find them.

Quote:
The women play year round, players like Staley, Taurasi, Bird, and Catch (who, again, wasn't playing at the level that Taurasi and Bird are playing at) show a commitment to USA basketball that many other players do not.

You can't show a commitment to the team, if you're not on the team.

Quote:
And it's the way USA basketball works - it's just no one complained about it until it was Bird and Taurasi.

It would be more accurate to say that no one complained until there were capable replacements getting left off the team. In 2000, the best American-born guards in the world were all age 30, or older. There was no equivalent to Courntey Vandersloot (who may not even be eligible to play for the US, any more, because she may have gotten sick of waiting for USAB to do the right thing, and send the old ladies out to pasture) getting snubbed in 2000, there wasn't even an equivalent to Kayla McBride or Jasmine Thomas getting snubbed in 2000. You can't discuss this in a manner that dilutes, or flat-out removes, all the necessary context, and then hold 2000 and 2020 side-by-side, and ask, "Aren't these two things the same?" No, they're not the same, and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 12/28/19 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Leaddrship, with the exception of Vandersloot, they're still two of the best passers in the league, they're still two of the best shooters in the league too.

Just last year (2018), we had one of the best semi-finals the league has ever had. Why? Bird and Taurasi.

Silky Johnson wrote:
If USAB hadn't found worthy replacements for Bird and Taurasi, it's only because they weren't trying to find them.

Disagree. After Bird and Taurasi, trends in the WNBA were with exceptional posts.

Who?

Loyd, Diggins, Gray, and Sloot are the only other elite guards and all have been involved with USA basketball. But, here's the bottom line.Taurasi and Bird are still elite guards.

Again, I notice you weren't advocating for Whalen not being on the team last go around..

Quote:

Plenty of players get an opportunity and pull fron it.

Quote:

It would be more accurate to say that no one complained until there were capable replacements getting left off the team. In 2000, the best American-born guards in the world were all age 30, or older. There was no equivalent to Courntey Vandersloot (who may not even be eligible to play for the US, any more, because she may have gotten sick of waiting for USAB to do the right thing, and send the old ladies out to pasture) getting snubbed in 2000, there wasn't even an equivalent to Kayla McBride or Jasmine Thomas getting snubbed in 2000. You can't discuss this in a manner that dilutes, or flat-out removes, all the necessary context, and then hold 2000 and 2020 side-by-side, and ask, "Aren't these two things the same?" No, they're not the same, and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Kayla McVride or Jasmine Thomas weren't snubbed. They weren't better than Bird and Taurasi, and they weren't the future of USA basketball.

Again, Catch and Whalen has a miserable Olympics. In fact, this whole board complained about Parker being left off the team, but then complained about Stewart making it over her...you know, the young talented player that you are insisting should take over from the Vets..instead of complaining about the Vet (who had a miserable Olympics)

and btw...I would have put Catch on the team too. USA basketball has the best players in the world. I have no problem with them consistently rewarding vets who have been loyal. And Team USA keeps winning, so maybe they're doing it right..

PostPosted: 12/28/19 2:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Silky Johnson wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

I don't think that's true. The team clearly needed Bird as of pretty recently.

Needed her to do what?

Quote:
And Team USA hadn't found a heir apparent to the duo to groom, which is typically the point of keeping the vets.

Quote:
The women play year round, players like Staley, Taurasi, Bird, and Catch (who, again, wasn't playing at the level that Taurasi and Bird are playing at) show a commitment to USA basketball that many other players do not.

Quote:

Since there's no like button here, I will just say you made some great points.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: