RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

12.22 Oklahoma @ 2 UConn 4p cbssn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/22/19 1:04 am    ::: 12.22 Oklahoma @ 2 UConn 4p cbssn Reply Reply with quote

Mohegan Sun Arena
Uncasville, CT

PostPosted: 12/22/19 4:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oy. Bit closer than I anticipated.

Nothing shocking, really, except....if you *knew* both teams, 10 years ago.... Shocked

PostPosted: 12/22/19 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Impressive second half steamroller by UConn. It's been a while since I replayed multiple plays as I did for Ododa and Griffin today. If Griffin had an outside shot, she'd be a complete and elite player.
root_thing

PostPosted: 12/22/19 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So, in a game where UConn scored 97 points, they made only one free throw. Shocked Nelson-Ododa was the only Huskie who got to the line and she was 1-3.

PostPosted: 12/22/19 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Impressive second half steamroller by UConn. It's been a while since I replayed multiple plays as I did for Ododa and Griffin today. If Griffin had an outside shot, she'd be a complete and elite player.

Griffin, IMO, has a chance to be the player perimeter player that Gabby Williams should’ve been-if we had the right personnel when she was a junior and senior. She could be a special, special player and I can’t wait to see what she’s like in two years.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/22/19 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If CD coaches our team here on out we may steal a NATTY Very Happy

Things I prefered under CDailey's coaching:

1. She's not here for Molly Bent. Good Golly Miss Molly made her first appearance with 4 to play.

2. She's for establishing ONO down low.

3. She's for letting Griffin play through mistakes and giving her PT. She was rewarded with an AG show at the end!

przemoe

PostPosted: 12/23/19 1:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How come Uconn plays with only 8 players? I know the two redshirts but come on, 40pt blowouts and still 4 players get 35+min for no reason but there's no one on the bench. There may not be enough steam left in March because of this. Not to mention possible sitouts like Dangerfield...
This program should involve more players even if they're not perfect signings just to give some breathe space.

http://www.bigdynia.pl - Basket Gdynia
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/23/19 2:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
How come Uconn plays with only 8 players? I know the two redshirts but come on, 40pt blowouts and still 4 players get 35+min for no reason but there's no one on the bench. There may not be enough steam left in March because of this. Not to mention possible sitouts like Dangerfield...
This program should involve more players even if they're not perfect signings just to give some breathe space.

UConn has only 10 eligible players. Camara hasn't played at all this season due to injury. Grad transfer Adebayo virtually never plays for reasons unknown to me. That leaves 8 players. They average 37, 37, 37, 30, 21, 21, 16 and 11 minutes per game (played). That seems about right to me given the skills and experience of those 8 players.
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/23/19 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll continue to say Griffin is my favorite team member this year.

She hustles, she REBOUNDS, she defends, she finishes.

I think she's been playing organized ball for only 6-7 years. She'd always played soccer before.

Major upside. I'm gonna enjoy the ride.

PostPosted: 12/23/19 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Adebayo virtually never plays for reasons unknown to me.

Adebayo averaged 18.2 ppg and 11.4 rpg for Murray State last season. She also shot a respectable 32-89 36% from 3pt range. The Ohio Valley Conference was only the 21st ranked league last season, but it had some respectable teams like Belmont and UT Martin. The AAC was ranked 9th, but I'm sure UConn dragged it upward. Adebayo faced 3 P5 teams last season:

Illinois: 23pts (7-22/3-6/6-6), 13rebs
Kentucky: 20 pts (7-11/1-2/5-9), 9 rebs
Tennessee: 28 pts, (10-19/1-3/7-7), 5 rebs
P5 Average: 23.7 ppg (.462/.455/.818), 9.0 rpg

Adebayo is listed at only 6-1, sometimes 6-2, but she's bulky. For a UConn team that desperately needs size, she can probably help. But Geno wants to play a certain way, and I guess Adebayo isn't fitting in. This reminds me of Natalie Butler, who put up good numbers at Georgetown before coming to UConn and then led the nation in rebounding afterward at George Mason. She ended up getting drafted by Dallas. I find it hard to believe you can't make better use of these post players on undersized UConn squads with no depth. Even going back a few years, Geno preferred to use a tired Kelly Faris at PF rather than Kiah Stokes or a serviceable college post like Heather Buck. I still remember Notre Dame and Baylor killing UConn off the boards late in games and the Huskies blowing leads because of it. And I'm still convinced UConn would have beaten Mississippi State in the 2017 tournament if Geno was willing to give Butler more minutes defending against Okorie and McCowan. Collier was having the worst game of her life. It wouldn't have hurt to sit her for a few minutes. But Geno is about his systems, his hard practices, his game plans, and his set rotations. He doesn't like making a lot of adjustments during games, and he trusts very few players. I guess Chris Dailey was just following through with the same approach.

PostPosted: 12/23/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
przemoe wrote:

UConn has only 10 eligible players. Camara hasn't played at all this season due to injury. Grad transfer Adebayo virtually never plays for reasons unknown to me. That leaves 8 players. They average 37, 37, 37, 30, 21, 21, 16 and 11 minutes per game (played). That seems about right to me given the skills and experience of those 8 players.

I totally get that. What puzzles me is why there are only 10 eligible players. I'm aware that NCAA rules for transfers are black magic so why recruitment isn't deeper - 1-2 girls more every year? Does commitment work both ways - I pick this school and have a guaranteed roster spot? Is there 12-player limit? Uconn is probably the dream team for half of HS girls there would not be a problem for additional recruitment.

Sorry if these are lame questions, it's just a whole different world from pro bball.

przemoe

PostPosted: 12/23/19 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry double post

Howee

PostPosted: 12/23/19 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

przemoe wrote:
Uconn is probably the dream team for half of HS girls there would not be a problem for additional recruitment.
Mmmnah....maybe 17%. Laughing

przemoe wrote:
Sorry if these are lame questions, it's just a whole different world from pro bball.
Not lame at all. These same questions bother those of us here, who've grown up with college teams.

PostPosted: 12/23/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

I think she's been playing organized ball for only 6-7 years. She'd always played soccer before.

I was at the game and her play late in the game was an eye-opener. Oklahoma was admittedly spent but it was clear that Griffin is much more effective in a transition game than in a half court offense.
There were a couple of drives when the crowd held their breath thinking that she might attempt a dunk. If nothing else yesterday should serve as a confidence builder. The next step is to do those things against better competition coming up after New Years.

acsuc99

PostPosted: 12/23/19 8:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:

And wasn't she ranked like 33rd? I was thinking she was gonna be another San Chong. Another one person class, from Ossining, ranked in the 30's. Turns out she could be Gabby Williams. Color me pleasantly surprised!

Is it just me or are the recruiting services getting worse?

ucbart

PostPosted: 12/23/19 9:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
If CD coaches our team here on out we may steal a NATTY Very Happy

Things I prefered under CDailey's coaching:

1. She's not here for Molly Bent. Good Golly Miss Molly made her first appearance with 4 to play.

2. She's for establishing ONO down low.

3. She's for letting Griffin play through mistakes and giving her PT. She was rewarded with an AG show at the end!

I mean, Bent is clearly a matchup situation. He didn't play her against DePaul, but against a weak ND team, she could play minutes.

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/23/19 10:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:

And wasn't she ranked like 33rd? I was thinking she was gonna be another San Chong. Another one person class, from Ossining, ranked in the 30's. Turns out she could be Gabby Williams. Color me pleasantly surprised!

Is it just me or are the recruiting services getting worse?

Different services have different rankings and they may change over time. ESPN HoopGurlz listed Griffin at #21, two slots below Stanford's Francesca Belibi. They're very similar players -- both very athletic, but somewhat raw. ESPN ranked Gabby Williams at #14 in 2014. If you're looking for a UConn player ranked in the 30's, in that same year Kia Nurse was #33.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: