RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Why Doesn’t the NBA Call Cheryl Reeve?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:09 pm    ::: Why Doesn’t the NBA Call Cheryl Reeve? Reply Reply with quote

https://winsidr.com/2019/12/13/why-doesnt-the-nba-call-cheryl-reeve/

Quote:
One might think playing the game is important. But only nine head coaches had any experience as an NBA player. Taylor Jenkins, the current head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, apparently never even played college basketball.

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She just signed a new WNBA contract.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/13/19 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surely, she could have included an out clause?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/15/19 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s a valid question & argument imo. Yes her Lynx teams had plus talent once Moore showed up, but surely she should get some meaningful amount of credit for taking them to all those Finals appearances and winning four of them. If nothing else, they’re quite the résumé boosters.
About her having signed a new contract: how complicated would it be for her to jump ship for a job in a parent league like the NBA? Having just signed a new contract in this case would seem like a weird reason for the league not to call & for her not jumping at the chance at a new higher paying job that would not only further her career but more importantly break ground doing it.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 12/15/19 6:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx have been very accommodating when even fringe players have wanted out in the past. If Reeve got an NBA offer and wanted to go, they'd work it out even if there isn't an official release clause written in the deal.

PostPosted: 12/15/19 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

*paging spacejunkie* “Why would the NBA want the worst coach in WNBA history? The only coach in WNBA history to give another team the championship” etc...

PostPosted: 12/15/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
*paging spacejunkie* “Why would the NBA want the worst coach in WNBA history? The only coach in WNBA history to give another team the championship” etc...

0 playoff wins and sub .500 record without Maya Moore making her "look" half decent (and Reeve couldn't make herself look decent with Maya in 2018 either). Derek Fisher has had more success since becoming a WNBA coach so maybe NBA teams should go after him to be a NBA coach again instead, or any number of people who have proven themsevles first, unless the only reason is they want to tank for the #1 pick if there's a male Maya Moore coming out, but tanking in the NBA is harder than tanking in the WNBA.

shontay33

PostPosted: 12/15/19 3:25 pm    ::: Re: Why Doesn’t the NBA Call Cheryl Reeve? Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://winsidr.com/2019/12/13/why-doesnt-the-nba-call-cheryl-reeve/

Quote:
One might think playing the game is important. But only nine head coaches had any experience as an NBA player. Taylor Jenkins, the current head coach of the Memphis Grizzlies, apparently never even played college basketball.

Good article but off base. The writer failed to mention that Jenkins had spent several years as an assistant coach. I think that if Cheryl Reeve wanted to be an assistant coach in the NBA and work her way up, she could. She probably doesn’t want to be an assistant coach again as she was under Lambeer in Detroit.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/15/19 3:30 pm    ::: Re: Why Doesn’t the NBA Call Cheryl Reeve? Reply Reply with quote

The very next sentence in the article is...

Quote:
Jenkins, though, had experience as an NBA assistant coach.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: