RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Paige Bueckers has the SWAGGIEST Game in the COUNTRY
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 12/11/19 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I'm sure there will be those who will not like her strutting but you needn't worry because if your past behavior is any indication you won't ever watch more than 4 or 5 minutes of her UConn's games. Very Happy

Laughing I didn't actually find DT annoying in college. She developed/tuned that aspect to her game in the W. And I'm hoping for UConn to actually experience some competitive games so I can watch a whole game. BTW: I love Walker's game and how she has improved in her time at UConn. Her Freshman year was pretty hohum...but she was playing behind/with some real studs. Now she's developed into the real stud herself. It's fun to see a player progress like that.

- Amanda Gorman
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/12/19 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In order to cool down the temperature of this thread, there's only one thing to do: Talk about race. I always think of Minnesota as pretty much a lily white state, but the other four starters on the Hopkins team are black. I wonder if the coach is allowed to recruit across district lines.

Back to swag, HERE is an excellent SBNation analysis of Bueckers' game using numerous short video clips to illustrate her various skills, and in which she is quoted as saying:

Quote:
Bueckers gave Slam the most accurate depiction of her game to date: “I don’t know if there’s another word for swaggy, but I guess that’s what people say. I have a certain way I carry myself. I’m not too cocky, but if someone talks trash to me I’m gonna talk trash.”
linkster

PostPosted: 12/12/19 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
In order to cool down the temperature of this thread, there's only one thing to do: Talk about race. I always think of Minnesota as pretty much a lily white state, but the other four starters on the Hopkins team are black. I wonder if the coach is allowed to recruit across district lines.

Back to swag, HERE is an excellent SBNation analysis of Bueckers' game using numerous short video clips to illustrate her various skills, and in which she is quoted as saying:

Quote:
Bueckers gave Slam the most accurate depiction of her game to date: “I don’t know if there’s another word for swaggy, but I guess that’s what people say. I have a certain way I carry myself. I’m not too cocky, but if someone talks trash to me I’m gonna talk trash.”

I'm almost certain that Minn HS players must live within the school district. But I also know that players' have moved into districts to play at a certain school. Bueckers did play for Hopkins as an eighth grader.

Myrtle is right that Moore and Stewart just went about their business. But everyone has their own personality. Taurasi wasn't yapping at refs in college, but she responded to taunts, whether from other players or from a hostile crowd. She was easily the most entertaining personality in UConn history. When asked why she punched the basket support at TBA she replied "I just felt like punching something orange". Or her reply to why the Tenn crowd booed her for an entire game: "Boo? I thought they were mooing?" She was an extrovert while Moore and Stewart internalized their emotions during a game.
Bueckers is an extrovert, she likes to interact with people. She is also highly competitive and when challenged she responds. But I have never seen her belittle or taunt an opponent. If you watched a complete game you'd see her congratulating her team mates every time they score or make a great play. When on the bench she is cheering her team. Never do you see her sitting with a towel over her head, brooding.

To those who have doubts I only suggest they wait and watch next year. We should all know that making judgments about a player based on video clips isn't very reliable.

meyers77

PostPosted: 12/12/19 3:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

I believe Hopkins HS is in a suburb of Minneapolis. The county, Hennepin, has about 12% Black population. So MN outside of Minneapolis is pretty lily white, Minneapolis area, probably not so much.

I saw in one video of Bueckers (like "a day in the life" thing), she was hanging out with a few (male and female) black or mixed race friends.

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/12/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
The bucket at :29, and her subsequent yapping at #9. Not heinous by any stretch, but not my cup of tea.

There was no yapping. She’s also very intense on defense. She finds the player she’s responsible for guarding and reels them in. You can find something similar @2:29 in the “Bueckers silences feisty crowd” video.

I think people are getting overly influenced by the click bait nature of the titles of these videos.

The video does not lie. She yapped as she went by.

I welcome her to Storrs, can't wait to see her play every game, and hope she fulfills all the lofty projections.

PostPosted: 12/12/19 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

meyers77 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I believe Hopkins HS is in a suburb of Minneapolis. The county, Hennepin, has about 12% Black population. So MN outside of Minneapolis is pretty lily white, Minneapolis area, probably not so much.

I saw in one video of Bueckers (like "a day in the life" thing), she was hanging out with a few (male and female) black or mixed race friends.

You're right. I found this page that says Hopkins H.S. is 21.4% black.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if players were recruited sub rosa by the old gimmick, referred to by Linkster, of "moving" into the district. The player typically uses the address of a relative or friend in the district and may actually stay overnight there periodically. I'm curious about this only because this Hopkins team is being called the best team in the history of Minnesota, is currently ranked #3 in the country by USA Today and #10 by MaxPreps (Clay Kallam), has the #8 ranked player of 2022 according to HoopGurlz (6-4 Maya Nnaji), and has a budding star freshman in Taylor Woodson.

Maybe it's Bueckers who has "moved". She lives in Eden Prairie, MN, but doesn't attend Eden Prairie H.S. Or maybe students are allowed to attend contiguous school districts for some purposes. I don't know and don't particularly care, but Hopkins has somehow become a national power.

With one exception, a home game against a Wisconsin school, Hopkins only plays Minnesota schools. I believe there's some sort of rule in Minnesota that disallows out-of-state play, which will make it hard for Hopkins to demonstrate court bona fides against other national powers.
linkster

PostPosted: 12/12/19 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
meyers77 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You're right. I found this page that says Hopkins H.S. is 21.4% black.

Still, it wouldn't surprise me if players were recruited sub rosa by the old gimmick, referred to by Linkster, of "moving" into the district. The player typically uses the address of a relative or friend in the district and may actually stay overnight there periodically. I'm curious about this only because this Hopkins team is being called the best team in the history of Minnesota, is currently ranked #3 in the country by USA Today and #10 by MaxPreps (Clay Kallam), has the #8 ranked player of 2022 according to HoopGurlz (6-4 Maya Nnaji), and has a budding star freshman in Taylor Woodson.

Maybe it's Bueckers who has "moved". She lives in Eden Prairie, MN, but doesn't attend Eden Prairie H.S. Or maybe students are allowed to attend contiguous school districts for some purposes. I don't know and don't particularly care, but Hopkins has somehow become a national power.

With one exception, a home game against a Wisconsin school, Hopkins only plays Minnesota schools. I believe there's some sort of rule in Minnesota that disallows out-of-state play, which will make it hard for Hopkins to demonstrate court bona fides against other national powers.

It's also possible that HS districts were "adjusted" to acheive acceptable racial balance. That is currently happening in Greenwich CT.

Hopkins had won State titles prior to Bueckers being on the team but until last season she had not won one. So there is some talent other than Hopkins.
I think that Hopkins' national ranking is in part due to the notoriety she has in national press. Usually a HS team has to travel a lot and play in elite tournaments to get into the top 10.
For perspective, in Minn, boys and girls' hockey gets top billing on the HS scheduling lists.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/13/19 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopkins may be the most talented high school team in the country, but their schedule is very weak, in part because of state limitations on travel and in part because they didn't work too hard to find games against other elite teams.

As far as we can tell, no blatant or overt recruiting went on, but there are always ways for people to get to the high school they want to go to. I would doubt that there are fake addresses, because that's too easy to catch, but there might have been some intradistrict transfers done before ninth grade, or some people moving into the Hopkins area to improve their daughters' chances of getting a scholarship.

Moving is a hassle, yes, but with $250,000 or so at stake, it could be worth the trouble to make sure a talented player gets plenty of looks, and options.

(An aside on that: College coaches find their way to practices and games throughout the season -- we had two at our practice and the two following games last night, and there were just a couple Pac-12 level players in action. Hopkins has four or five, from all reports, so imagine how many coaches are going to see those games.)

PostPosted: 12/13/19 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last night Hopkins beat another overmatched team.

Bueckers was such an "ass" and so into herself that she had 9 points and 14 assists.

Any idea that players will transfer to get away from her "asshole" behavior is delusional.

PRballer

PostPosted: 12/16/19 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think the videos lie. I've seen YouTube clips where she's taunting and shaming her opponents after scoring on them. It's obnoxious.

If you think that's "swagger" or "good for the women's game" that's fine but it's flat out annoying and unsportsmanlike in my book.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/16/19 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
I don't think the videos lie. I've seen YouTube clips where she's taunting and shaming her opponents after scoring on them. It's obnoxious.

If you think that's "swagger" or "good for the women's game" that's fine but it's flat out annoying and unsportsmanlike in my book.

I don't think videos tell the truth either, especially the short ones.

I still suggest that those who want to judge a player should at least watch a couple of complete games before tossing out conclusions.
I was brought up to keep my mouth shut in competition. I was told that if you score, act like you have been there before. Don't brag and don't pout. And most pro athletes were that way. Catch a TD pass , toss the ball to the ref and go to your sideline. Be cool was the motto. Let your game talk for you.
That was long ago and far away. Kids today watch pro athletes celebrate even minor greatness. A first down pass reception becomes a celebration. A touchdown is a photo op for the entire offense. A dunk is reason enough to dance around the court high-fiving your team, even when you are down a dozen. That is what kids are exposed to these days and kids emulate their heroes and the replays of top plays they see on ESPN.

I find it fascinating that people still draw conclusions based on minuscule videos that don't come close to reality. I guess college recruiters should just stop attending games and just review Instagram and Twitter posts.
Rolling Eyes

Shades

PostPosted: 12/16/19 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

Like I said before to deaf ears, she’s just reeling in her man on defense. It’s not taunting.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 12/16/19 7:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Howee

PostPosted: 12/16/19 5:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PRballer wrote:

Like I said before to death ears, she’s just reeling in her man on defense. It’s not taunting.

Hopefully, no one that's DEAD heard you. Shocked Razz

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/16/19 5:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I was brought up to keep my mouth shut in competition. I was told that if you score, act like you have been there before. Don't brag and don't pout. And most pro athletes were that way. Catch a TD pass , toss the ball to the ref and go to your sideline. Be cool was the motto. Let your game talk for you.

That was long ago and far away. Kids today watch pro athletes celebrate even minor greatness. A first down pass reception becomes a celebration. A touchdown is a photo op for the entire offense. A dunk is reason enough to dance around the court high-fiving your team, even when you are down a dozen. That is what kids are exposed to these days and kids emulate their heroes and the replays of top plays they see on ESPN.

This.

PostPosted: 12/16/19 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps communicating with the dead explains the spectral screen name.

Regardless, Geno should probably revoke the Pistol's scholarship for athletical incorrectness, or at least provide trigger warnings to everyone before each game and provide safe spaces with teddy bears and snow cones for visiting players and fans.

Dance on their graves, Paige! Be bad for basketball!! Tear down this wall of dull WCBB mediocrity!!! But follow all Miss Chris's rules!!!!
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/16/19 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, and when DDS did the same kind of thing some of you had fits. *shrug* Well, all right then.

PostPosted: 12/16/19 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Yeah, and when DDS did the same kind of thing some of you had fits. *shrug* Well, all right then.

Based on the defense she played in college, I doubt she played any in high school.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Davis4632

PostPosted: 12/17/19 8:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:

Diamond was considered to be a UConn lean/recruit like most No.1 ranked players until the Cinco de Mayo commitment to UNC, so most likely excuses were made for her too. I do remember her getting technical fouls for taunting players when she was at UNC. I believe one occurred because she taunted someone after blocking a shot, but I could be wrong about that.

If Bueckers is a trash talker, then she's a just trash talker. She's better be a consistent trash talker and not just a front running trash talker.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: