RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Atlanta Dream 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy

PostPosted: 11/25/19 5:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

More news on the Loeffler bid to be appointed as Senator:

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/the-jolt-donald-trump-media-ally-takes-aim-kelly-loeffler/itplU1dxWFMK8Fqa5FhV6H/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10544740&ecmp=newspaper_email&&iaccess=MmJiOTUyNDMtODgwNi00MWY5LWI5MjMtMzk4OTY5M2FkOWQ1fDExLzI1LzIwMTkgMjo1MzoyMCBQTXxlbWFpbA==

Seems Britbart is saying she has ties to Stacy Abrams, her WNBA team supported Planned Parenthood, and she is a "Country Club Republican." The "ties" to Abrams would seem adversarial because of her role in the WNBPA cheerleader squad (I forgot what they call it). The Planned Parenthood "supprt" was in the league wide "Take A Seat Take Stand" promotion.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/25/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Abrams did make an appearance at a Dream game during her campaign for governor. Needless to say, Brian Kemp did not.

PostPosted: 11/25/19 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Abrams did make an appearance at a Dream game during her campaign for governor. Needless to say, Brian Kemp did not.

There was a game a few years ago where Nathan Deal (then the GA Gov) made an appearance at a Dream game and was booed when introduced. I'm pretty sure Kemp would have gotten the same.

Randy

PostPosted: 11/26/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The plot sickens. Secret weekend meeting Kemp, Loeffler with Trump.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/georgia-governor-recently-met-with-trump-over-senate-pick/MEyBIlZE5lLZy8pDxXLmtK/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10558843&ecmp=newspaper_email&&iaccess=MmJiOTUyNDMtODgwNi00MWY5LWI5MjMtMzk4OTY5M2FkOWQ1fDExLzI2LzIwMTkgMjo1MjowNCBQTXxlbWFpbA==

Quote:
The Sunday trip did not go as expected for Kemp, who encountered a president who was said to be frustrated with his decision-making process and blunt about his support for U.S. Rep. Doug Collins and others whom he considered to be safer political picks.

Quote:
'Though she didn’t contribute to Trump’s 2016 election bid, financial records show Loeffler and her husband have given roughly $450,000 to his re-election efforts since 2017 - including two $100,000 checks this month for a campaign event in Atlanta.

Apparently that's not enough. Perhaps Trump likes her better as donor than someone running for office in the future.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/04/19 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's official: Kelly Loeffler for US Senate Appointment.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/breaking-kemp-taps-kelly-loeffler-financial-exec-senate-seat/cKraGpntwpFivAz0kYPFkL/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10662714&&

root_thing

PostPosted: 12/04/19 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Loeffler really wants to score points with Trump, she should change the team name to the Atlanta Wall. And to placate those who question her conservative values, Loeffler should purge her team of all lesbians. What's Candice Wiggins doing?

PostPosted: 12/04/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Collen might be the next one up for a NBA job.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 12/05/19 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also on the poiltricks front, it's the end of a era in the Dream's new home. The mayor since 1996 (councilmember for years before that, grandson of a Mayor from back in the 1910s) is on the way out.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/jack-longino-longtime-mayor-college-park-loses-runoff-election/T0MT105SDN56Xus52gQlrK/

Quote:
Bianca Motley Broom became the first woman and first African American to be elected mayor of College Park on Tuesday, after defeating six-term incumbent Jack Longino in a run-off election.

Broom took 70 percent of the 1,472 votes cast. The 42-year-old said she was “so excited” to be entrusted to lead the city of about 15,000.

“I hope we move from being the hidden gem to the Hope Diamond,” she said. “I’m so filled with promise that we can actually meet that potential now.”

...The city recently opened a new arena, and has been planning the Airport City project to bring development and residents to College Park.

Broom said she was grateful to Longino for his leadership, but wanted to be more up-front with residents about what was happening in the city.

Longino, 66, did not respond to several phone calls seeking comment.

Orlando Strozier, a College Park resident who voted for Broom after supporting another candidate in the general election, said he supported her vision for the city...

Strozier is a fan of the new arena and anything that can “drum up interest, change the narrative” of the city, which has a poverty rate of 35%. But he said the current administration “just kind of did what they wanted to do.”“It wasn’t really a community effort,” he said. “We should have some say.”

...Broom said she hopes to bring a new perspective to city leadership. Nearly 80 percent of the city’s residents are black; Longino is white.

Broom said that she had a lot to learn before she takes over the top elected role, but she’s looking forward to it.

“Voters wanted change, they wanted a new direction,” she said. “I’m incredibly humbled they selected me.”

~lw3

pilight

PostPosted: 12/05/19 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
It's official: Kelly Loeffler for US Senate Appointment.

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/breaking-kemp-taps-kelly-loeffler-financial-exec-senate-seat/cKraGpntwpFivAz0kYPFkL/?utm_source=newspaper&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=10662714&&

Georgia was, as you probably already know, the first state to have a woman senator (Rebecca Felton in 1922). Loeffler will be the state's second woman senator.

PostPosted: 12/05/19 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Park,_Georgia

In case anyone is wondering how a tiny town with a poverty rate of 35% can afford a $40 M arena, the above might help.

Quote:
College Park is a city in Fulton and Clayton counties, Georgia, United States, adjacent to the southern boundary of the city of Atlanta. As of the 2010 census, the population was 13,942.[4] Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport is partially located in the city's boundaries (including the domestic terminal, Concourse T, Concourse A, and about two-thirds of Concourse B), and the Georgia International Convention Center, owned and operated by the City of College Park, is within the city limits.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/05/19 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Park,_Georgia

In case anyone is wondering how a tiny town with a poverty rate of 35% can afford a $40 M arena, the above might help.

I actually just want to know why the eggs and milk at the College Park Aldi cost so much more than the eggs and milk at the Jonesboro Aldi?

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Randy

PostPosted: 12/05/19 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.mouseprint.org/2019/01/28/is-supermarket-zone-pricing-ripping-you-off/

Aldi is into zone pricing.

Quote:
“We are always reviewing our prices to ensure we offer our shoppers the lowest prices possible. While ALDI prices do sometimes vary from city to city, we pride ourselves on having the lowest prices in town.

Lowest prices in town - just not the lowest prices they charge in other towns.....

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/05/19 2:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's crazy that they charge more to the people who have less money. Like, there is deadass a 30 cent a carton difference in the price of eggs, between College Park and Jonesboro, and those two stores are six miles apart.

If I find out that the cost at the Fayetteville Aldi is lower than that, I'm going to be big mad.

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wayfield Foods >

~lw3

lethalweapon3

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the other options Gov. Kemp had thrown at him (one in particular on the telly right now), I'm kinda glad he defied his hard-line critics and circled back to Loeffler. Somebody had to be Johnny's replacement, at least in the interim.

As the incumbent Loeffler runs Right-ler for the sake of re-nomination, though, I'm also hopeful she'll find a taker for her piece of the Dream tart. Jami Gertz? Sara Blakeley? Anybody in the Cox Family? Heck, what's Mary Norwood up to these days?

Slim as the audiences will likely be, I'd rather not see Gateway Center security policing a quarter of the Dream crowd as protesters once she predictably says something wild this summer in hopes of tantalizing "the base".

The players and staff also don't need someone, with more nuanced pregame/postgame questions than Angel Gray/Andre Aldridge, popping up to poll their opinions on something the Senator may say in a stump speech or on a debate stage.

At the other end, given the prospect of a close race where desperate party challengers prop up the Senator's continued WNBA support, and maybe even the opinions of league players themselves, as some "liability" voters should be concerned about, it would look much less suspicious if Loeffler had already sold her investment pre-primaries.

Fair comment from Coach Nicki, from the Sunday Paper...

https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regional-govt--politics/georgia-senator-kelly-loeffler-political-novice-with-deep-pockets/JDgQXperHWVJL98RqHTzsO/

Quote:
Atlanta Dream head coach Nicki Collen said Loeffler is a supportive owner of the WNBA team.

Loeffler, who owns the team with businesswoman Mary Brock, is a fixture courtside with Sprecher.

Collen said she suspects most WNBA players, including Dream players, lean left.

“They may not be too excited about her political views, but I don’t think that affects what they think of Kelly Loeffler,” said Collen. “Without owners like her and Mary, they wouldn’t have this job in this country.”

I just hope Loeffler is looking for, and is successful in finding, another "owner like her and Mary".

~lw3

Randy

PostPosted: 12/09/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Might be easier to get appointed to the Senate than sell half the Dream.....Unless Mary Brock wants to buy it. Then again, if she loses the 2020 race for Senate she may want to have the team.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/09/19 10:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lethalweapon3 wrote:
Wayfield Foods >

~lw3

The nearest Wayfield Foods to me is a little too far out of my way.

StevenHW

PostPosted: 12/10/19 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.rollcall.com/news/hoh/trump-make-wnba-ownership-tricky-new-georgia-senator

PostPosted: 12/11/19 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dream sign Rachel Jarry:
https://livingstonledger.com/australian-star-rachel-jarry-heads-back-to-wnba-with-atlanta-dream/

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Dream sign Rachel Jarry:
https://livingstonledger.com/australian-star-rachel-jarry-heads-back-to-wnba-with-atlanta-dream/

That's 2017 news.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
stever wrote:
Dream sign Rachel Jarry:

That's 2017 news.

Story seems be current. That said: meh......she didn't make the team in 2017 - why would she make it now.

pilight

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
stever wrote:
Dream sign Rachel Jarry:

That's 2017 news.

Story seems be current. That said: meh......she didn't make the team in 2017 - why would she make it now.

The article mentions her being 25 years old, which was her age in 2017

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can’t sign anybody in December. That should have been enough of a hint that this outlet regurgitated an old WNBA news story.

Randy

PostPosted: 12/11/19 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope you guys are right - don't think she adds anything - past, present or future. The confusing part is it says she has a history with the Dream......but I don't really care anyway.

Shades

PostPosted: 12/11/19 10:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 8 of 30

Jump to: