RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Pac-12 2019-2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/06/19 3:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
ClayK wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Kara Lawson was a finance major. Kellie Harper was a math major. Both were on the dean's list all the way through. I don't think playing and traveling affected their studies one bit.

At one time something like 60% of the Lady Vol basketball team was on the dean's list, and it wasn't all "easy" majors by any means.

No question it can be done ...

But I've talked with more than a few scholarship athletes who were told they shouldn't or couldn't take certain classes (afternoon labs, for example) or should avoid certain majors.

It all depends, but the person controlling the one-year scholarships -- with transfer limitations on top of that -- definitely has the power in this situation.

It probably depends on the school, too. Some schools are just not all that academically oriented. They'd rather their athletes just played ball (UNC is a good example). Others are not that way at all. Stanford, for one.

As an aside, one of the biggest benefits for Duke female athletes is the ability to participate in the CAPE (College Athletic Pre-Medical Experience) program. It was (and I believe still is) America's only premedical mentoring program for female student-athletes. The goal is to engage them with mentors, role models, lectures, discussion groups, and clinical experiences so they do not become discouraged in a (largely) still male-dominated world of medicine.

CAPE has its origins in a mentoring relationship that began in 1999 between Georgia Schweitzer, then a sophomore Duke WBB player, and Henry Friedman, the James B. Powell Jr. Professor of neuro-oncology at Duke Medical Center.

There are usually approximately 50 female undergrad students enrolled in CAPE per year. The majority are athletes (including cheerleaders), but some are Baldwin Scholars whom CAPE admits to satisfy NCAA requirements that student-athletes not receive unique treatment.

To put this into perspective, students usually are not exposed to patients until their second or third year of medical school. Giving undergraduates the opportunity to interact with patients is one of CAPE's most valuable traits.

CAPE students are gradually introduced to brain tumor patients in the brain tumor clinic, first by sitting in as a physician takes medical histories, then by observing physical exams. Next, students assist with taking histories, and eventually do it on their own (something they say is a major milestone).

Students can enter the program beginning in the fall of their sophomore year, and they spend their first semester shadowing physicians, performing new-patient consultations, and observing craniotomies at the Tisch Brain Tumor Center. Other activities include mentoring dinners with female medical students and physicians, a yearly lecture by the dean of the medical school, and a monthly journal club, where CAPE students discuss articles related to medical ethics and the art of balancing a professional medical career and personal lives (including family).

A few of CAPE's notable basketball alumni include:
--- Georgia (Schweiter) Beasley
--- Alison Bales
--- Emily Waner
--- Elizabeth Williams

Links (articles from 2008/2009, the tenth anniversary of CAPE)
https://today.duke.edu/2009/08/jockdoc.html
https://alumni.duke.edu/magazine/articles/athletes-training-future-doctors

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/20/19 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My very early thoughts/first impressions, as it pertains to the Pac-12 (added onto it to talk about all 12 teams):
    Oregon will win the NCAA title so long as Graves continues to have at least 2-3 quality bench players he can rely on throughout the whole season. Chavez, Giomi, Shelley, and Winterburn all look to be in that mix.
    Stanford though will go as far as their talented underclassmen will take them, which could also be the title if *incoming pun* Coach Tara VanDerveer plays her Cards right. Twisted Evil Seriously though, what does her in-conference rotation look like? She has a LOT of pieces to work with between now and then to figure it out.
    It looks to be another year of Oregon State winning a bunch of games, with a lot of them being closer contests than they should be, but ultimately falling one weekend short of a Final Four (as has been the case since their first one).
    Arizona looked great at Texas, as The Aari McDonald Show works great in big-game settings. This team though isn't a Top 4 Pac-12 team, until her other teammates become consistent within their respective roles (Barnes should figure those out soon if she hasn't already).
    Cal put up a good fight at UConn, and Charmin Smith has already shown she can recruit by producing a Top 10 recruiting class next year. She'll need her young guards to grow up sooner rather than later, but good signs all around for this program overall.
    USC could be the 12th place team this year. They have talent, but as of now they don't have experience as a unit or enough bodies, and I'm skeptical of Trakh's general ability to get his team to overachieve even a little (given his, umm... "trakh" record Twisted Evil Twisted Evil ). They didn't have a wealth of experience and bodies to begin with, either.
    Utah will emerge from their slow start and could finish about where they did last year conference-wise, while Colorado will (as per usual) emerge from their easy non-conference schedule generally unscathed before running into a brick wall of conference opponents.
    While UCLA and ASU are still question marks, they're pretty consistent these days at being top-half Pac-12 teams.
    WSU has become a question mark given their good start, which for them is a good thing. We might learn more about them once they play Baylor and South Carolina (and Indiana) consecutively at the end of the month.
    ...And I could talk for hours about how I feel about my Washington Huskies but I will spare anyone reading and just say, judging by the first three games (with one of them ending up a total sh!t show), l'm convinced even more that we'll only get 12-13 total wins. Sad

Last edited by Stormeo on 11/21/19 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/20/19 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As weird as it sounds, Giomi looks like a big key for Oregon this year Shocked Their post depth just isn't great and so far she looks like she can contribute well off the bench.

And in general they can't afford injury to their big three. But that's true for most teams.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/21/19 4:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
As weird as it sounds, Giomi looks like a big key for Oregon this year Shocked Their post depth just isn't great and so far she looks like she can contribute well off the bench.

Yeah, she's looked surprisingly good. It's early, but if she keeps this up, she looks competent enough to start the season after this one - if one Sedona Prince doesn't have anything to say about it!
Redshirting her first year really helped her out. Who knows how different things would be had one of Campisano and McGwire done that (in which one of them would've been in line to start their graduate year and not stuck behind the Hebard-Sabally duo all four years, and maybe Giomi would've been one of the odd ones out).

Howee

PostPosted: 11/21/19 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

And in general they can't afford injury to their big three. But that's true for most teams.

Nothing weird about that, to me..... Shocked Hebard certainly can't do it all at the 5, night in and night out, and there are there those times when the extra inches can help, too.

PostPosted: 11/22/19 10:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charmin Smith is doing good things at Cal ... beating San Diego State isn't that big a deal, but Cal did so easily, and its best three players are all doing well.

I may have to upgrade my expectations ...

PostPosted: 11/23/19 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Charmin Smith is doing good things at Cal ... beating San Diego State isn't that big a deal, but Cal did so easily, and its best three players are all doing well.

Agreed. I was surprised how Chen has been playing. Practically nothing was expected of her so it's been great to see her step up. Anastasieska seems like she'll be streaky, but will go off once in a while. There is enough talent here. It'll be great to see them develop.

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/24/19 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Agreed. I was surprised how Chen has been playing. Practically nothing was expected of her so it's been great to see her step up. Anastasieska seems like she'll be streaky, but will go off once in a while. There is enough talent here. It'll be great to see them develop.

Charmin came to our game last night (they want one of our Miramonte players) and she's really pleased with how well they're playing. I don't think she expects to win the Pac-12 or anything, but she's happy.

PostPosted: 11/24/19 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah, she's looked surprisingly good. It's early, but if she keeps this up, she looks competent enough to start the season after this one - if one Sedona Prince doesn't have anything to say about it!
Redshirting her first year really helped her out. Who knows how different things would be had one of Campisano and McGwire done that (in which one of them would've been in line to start their graduate year and not stuck behind the Hebard-Sabally duo all four years, and maybe Giomi would've been one of the odd ones out).

I always liked what Giomi had to offer. She just didn't get enough court time to show much. What I liked about her was her quickness and speed. They said that for years she has been their fastest player. When you watch her on defense she covers a lot of territory. Greaves like offense though and that was on reason she didn't see much time. As many of you have stated Giomi can be very valuable in spelling Hebard. Like in this game against Cuss, Hebard did not play well at all one either offense or defense.

I don't think McGwire would have been much help to Oregon. The Sabbalies can do every thing she can offensively and more. She is a real liablility on defense. She basically stays around the basket and provides little help defense at all. When her midrange shot is not going in she adds nothing for a team like Oregon.Greaves basically started her for her mid range offense but once Satou showed up she became expendable. With her sister coming in she would have seen little to no court time.

PostPosted: 11/24/19 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, buy the way. Geomi was redshirted because of an injury that put her out for the season her freshman year.

PostPosted: 11/25/19 10:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cal beats Arkansas 84-80 ... Charmin Smith is doing work.

PostPosted: 12/08/19 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sun Devils have sure looked mortal lately. Losing one of their better players in Ruden has hurt, but it shouldn’t hurt as much for this team given it always uses a big rotation. They’d be really hurting if Tapley hadn’t transferred from USC. But people are right about their talent deficiency - looks like it’s finally catching up to them. Maybe poor conference play keeps them from the Tourney, but I’m not ready to write them off just yet.

On another note, I wish the Pac-12 could partner up with another major conference & do a “Challenge”. All the other Power 5’s are taken, but calling up the Big East now that UCONN’s coming back to it would be a great idea!

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/08/19 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

On another note, I wish the Pac-12 could partner up with another major conference & do a “Challenge”. All the other Power 5’s are taken, but calling up the Big East now that UCONN’s coming back to it would be a great idea!

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Don't see why one conference couldn't do two challenges. The Big 12 is geographically the most logical.

- Amanda Gorman
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/08/19 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Don't see why one conference couldn't do two challenges. The Big 12 is geographically the most logical.

Me neither. Though really none of the other Power 5’s are close to the Pac-12 like they are to each other. In terms of other west coast conferences that could partner up, maybe the WCC or Mountain West? Summit league with those South Dakota powerhouses? Missouri Valley? Otherwise a UCONN-led Big East seems like the best fit in terms of talent matchup between conferences.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/09/19 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all should skip this if you don't care about Washington, but I just feel the need to rant after tonight's game. My Huskies looked downright hopeless tonight on their own floor against Hawaii, losing by double digits while shooting 22% from the floor. I thought they might've turned a corner after beating a still-ok Iowa team in Puerto Rico, but they've proved to be absolutely untrustworthy. Tonight they looked untalented, unintelligent, and leaderless; but now in Year 3 of The Rebuild, they can't chalk it up to a lack of healthy bodies or in-game experience anymore. And I get that Hawaii beat Texas and should be taken seriously, but Hawaii is still a team that even a close-to-average Power-5 program will beat at home - no excuses. I said it after the Tulane game, but even more so now: they should be ashamed of themselves. Mad

As much as that win over Oregon State in the Pac-12 Tourney last year sure was a complete fluke of a game (if Aleah Goodman had made just one of her nine attempts from 3, we lose), now it just feels like a big red herring. If Colorado's senior PG leader Kennedy Leonard didn't get hurt last season, I don't think we would've won a single conference game since that's the team we got our two wins against (leading to getting the 11-seed & a favorable matchup against a banged-up Utah team). I remember looking at Jody Wynn's records from when she was the coach of LBSU and seeing that it took her several years to get her team to the top of the Big West, which is almost a step below the mid-majors - I remember thinking that wasn't a good precursor. She won't cut it if she can't work faster than that. Building a program from the bottom-up in a Power-5 conference is a whole different ballgame. More importantly though, the individual players she coached in her first year with UW honestly haven't seemed to improve, both statistically and just using the eye test - if anything, our two seniors in particular have gotten progressively worse. They really prioritize family and the intangibles, which would be great secondary philosophies. But when it all comes down to it, what needs to be prioritized first & foremost that I'm a little too convinced isn't right now is building a culture of winners - finding a way to recruit high-end talent that fits the coach's vision for the team, developing that talent's skill sets, and of course the coaching x's-and-o's. Values, validation, and pure motivation can only get a team so far.

Even though our Final 4 appearance was already nearly five years ago, that we went from that to this so quickly still hurts as bad now as it did the first post-Neighbors year. Arkansas and Arizona, both of which have deep ties to Washington's old regime, are nationally on the rise. Local rival schools Oregon and Oregon State have settled in at the top of the top. And whatever fanbase we garnered back then is pretty much firmly gone - even if we were magically ranked by tomorrow, drawing them all back wouldn't happen overnight. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Today was a real sh*t day fundamentally for Husky Basketball in general.

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/09/19 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was really a stunning result ...

But we've got a couple of women from the East Bay on the roster, and I'm curious how Haley Van Duke and Ali Bamberger are doing. Any thoughts on them?

PostPosted: 12/09/19 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
That was really a stunning result ...

But we've got a couple of women from the East Bay on the roster, and I'm curious how Haley Van Dyke and Ali Bamberger are doing. Any thoughts on them?

HVD had a quiet first year last year but this year she has visibly taken a step up. She is more decisive on both sides of the ball (going for steals, taking better-quality shots, passing quickly when the shot's not there), and much more aggressive on the boards. She has come to move/cut pretty well without the ball. Just a lot less tentativeness in general, which comes naturally from being a returner. It's now clear she'll be our go-to next year once Melgoza's gone, and overall I like our sophomore class probably the best and I think the coaches at least haven't screwed up their development up to this point. I know HVD was a big scorer in her high school days, but I don't see her ceiling as an 18-20 PPG scorer (at least an efficient one). 13-15 PPG as a senior? It's possible. She has led the team in minutes from off the bench, but she actually earned her first collegiate start yesterday - although that might've thrown off the starters' chemistry since Hawaii scored the first nine points of the game (just another thing the coaches screwed up yesterday). Neutral

Bamberger has gotten more minutes than I thought she would, but she's looked ok. The 3-point shot looks nice when it goes in - I think eventually she'll find that consistency since her shot form looks more-or-less normal. She's definitely a typical freshman in terms of knowing her spots/the plays, committing a silly foul here & there, not being in tip-top shape, etc. For her though, I don't see why that doesn't improve over time. I am concerned she and really our other true posts aren't natural rebounders at all. None of them are fast, physical, or particularly athletic - but I can't complain too much since we haven't had post players (plural) over the last three years until now. It's a young group, so we have no choice but to be patient with them. Confused

osubeavers

PostPosted: 12/10/19 11:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Y'all should skip this if you don't care about Washington, but I just feel the need to rant after tonight's game. My Huskies looked downright hopeless tonight on their own floor against Hawaii, losing by double digits while shooting 22% from the floor. I thought they might've turned a corner after beating a still-ok Iowa team in Puerto Rico, but they've proved to be absolutely untrustworthy. Tonight they looked untalented, unintelligent, and leaderless; but now in Year 3 of The Rebuild, they can't chalk it up to a lack of healthy bodies or in-game experience anymore. And I get that Hawaii beat Texas and should be taken seriously, but Hawaii is still a team that even a close-to-average Power-5 program will beat at home - no excuses. I said it after the Tulane game, but even more so now: they should be ashamed of themselves. Mad

As much as that win over Oregon State in the Pac-12 Tourney last year sure was a complete fluke of a game (if Aleah Goodman had made just one of her nine attempts from 3, we lose), now it just feels like a big red herring. If Colorado's senior PG leader Kennedy Leonard didn't get hurt last season, I don't think we would've won a single conference game since that's the team we got our two wins against (leading to getting the 11-seed & a favorable matchup against a banged-up Utah team). I remember looking at Jody Wynn's records from when she was the coach of LBSU and seeing that it took her several years to get her team to the top of the Big West, which is almost a step below the mid-majors - I remember thinking that wasn't a good precursor. She won't cut it if she can't work faster than that. Building a program from the bottom-up in a Power-5 conference is a whole different ballgame. More importantly though, the individual players she coached in her first year with UW honestly haven't seemed to improve, both statistically and just using the eye test - if anything, our two seniors in particular have gotten progressively worse. They really prioritize family and the intangibles, which would be great secondary philosophies. But when it all comes down to it, what needs to be prioritized first & foremost that I'm a little too convinced isn't right now is building a culture of winners - finding a way to recruit high-end talent that fits the coach's vision for the team, developing that talent's skill sets, and of course the coaching x's-and-o's. Values, validation, and pure motivation can only get a team so far.

Even though our Final 4 appearance was already nearly five years ago, that we went from that to this so quickly still hurts as bad now as it did the first post-Neighbors year. Arkansas and Arizona, both of which have deep ties to Washington's old regime, are nationally on the rise. Local rival schools Oregon and Oregon State have settled in at the top of the top. And whatever fanbase we garnered back then is pretty much firmly gone - even if we were magically ranked by tomorrow, drawing them all back wouldn't happen overnight. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Today was a real sh*t day fundamentally for Husky Basketball in general.
I actually watched that entire game. As an OSU fan, to see how Hawai’i, who the Beavs held to 32 points, would look against another PAC-12 opponent. As you noted, it was ugly. If that game isn’t a major anomaly then it’s likely to be a long season for Husky WBB. Melgoza, who I very much respect did not look like the same player. At the end of the game, which Hawai’i essentially led wire to wire I was left with the feeling that, UW can’t be THAT bad.

PostPosted: 12/10/19 3:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

osubeavers wrote:
I actually watched that entire game. As an OSU fan, to see how Hawai’i, who the Beavs held to 32 points, would look against another PAC-12 opponent. As you noted, it was ugly. If that game isn’t a major anomaly then it’s likely to be a long season for Husky WBB. Melgoza, who I very much respect did not look like the same player. At the end of the game, which Hawai’i essentially led wire to wire I was left with the feeling that, UW can’t be THAT bad.

I knew it might be a tough game since I'm sure Hawaii was hungry to put that drudging by the Beavs behind them, but the loss was due to our own offensive incompetence rather than Hawaii shutting us down, per se. Big rotations are great in theory if a coach is good enough to get every player on the same page at all times - this coach isn't. Wynn was quoted by media saying she thought those 84 shot attempts "weren't bad shots". Hoping she was just saving face, cuz if she really truly was content with most of the shots they put up... hoo boy. Mad

As for Melgoza: she has started slow in each of the past non-conference schedules, turning it on after the New Year, but it's inexplicable why now as a senior she still isn't able to start out as well from the get-go. Even then, we still only have three wins the past two years in the conference schedule... UW is just in fact that bad.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/16/19 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An interesting profile of Utah's head coach and her program, from Sue Favor's Women's Hoops World.

Quote:
...I like creating a culture and a unit and leading and motivating, and the science of having 20 different people motivated and wired differently come together. I love creating but I don’t enjoy the games, which is bizarre, but winning is relieving and losing is just devastating.

The games aren’t what motivates me...

Last edited by Stormeo on 12/17/19 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 12/17/19 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
An interesting profile of Utah's head coach and her program, from Sue Favor's Women's Hoops World.

Interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/19/19 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Stanford wins the NC this season, will Tara hold the record for most years between championships while coaching the same team, any sport?

Gotta be a record, no?

PostPosted: 12/19/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
When Stanford wins the NC this season, will Tara hold the record for most years between championships while coaching the same team, any sport?

Gotta be a record, no?

don't care about records as long as the bold part comes true! Laughing

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/19/19 4:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
Gotta be a record, no?

don't care about records as long as the bold part comes true! Laughing

Hey....she already has 2 which puts her in the rarified air that few have breathed. AND....she knows it's Kelly's turn once, so she's 'good'. Wink

PostPosted: 12/28/19 9:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Interesting interview. Thank you for sharing.

Smile Hopefully we get more content like this, I've always enjoyed and valued these sneak peeks inside a program.

Last edited by Stormeo on 12/29/19 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: