RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Texas 2019-2020

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/02/19 4:24 am    ::: Texas 2019-2020 Reply Reply with quote

Well we all know Karen Aston & Texas WBB have been overrated for a little while now, but it sure seems like this is the year the wheels finally fall all the way off in Austin. As of now, the team has a 4-4 record which includes losses to USF and NC State and bad losses to Arizona and Hawaii. Their next three games are against a revitalized Tennessee program, a very solid Ohio team, and #Probably-1 Stanford. Once conference season comes around, it seems as if there will be few chances to play quality Tourney-level teams let alone beat them (one can now forget about Texas even being competitive in games against Baylor), so suddenly Texas finds its Tourney chances in complete jeopardy if they don't find a couple wins here.

Per EspnW's HoopGurlz Recruiting Rankings, Texas' current Starting 5 coming out of high school were individually ranked #2, 2, 6, 7, and 40 in their respective classes - all of whom were 5-star prospects, three of whom are not only seniors but also considered pro prospects.

Importantly, Karen Aston appears to be in the final year of her contract extension. In total, there are five seniors (one of whom is a graduate student), seven underclassmen, and no juniors on this season's team. Ergo, the conditions are very ripe for a coaching change after(/during?) this season.

I'm usually a Pac-12 follower but even I've become invested in this mess. With all of its talent and experience, I don't think this team will get into the Tourney Shocked Couldn't find an existing Texas thread so anyone with any thoughts/insights/head coach recommendations can let 'em out here. Let's all get settled in for this impending slow-motion trainwreck! Arrow

ClayK

PostPosted: 12/02/19 12:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was just looking at the scores from Sunday and saw the Hawaii score -- and said out loud (I'm a little strange, I admit), "How can Texas be 4-4?"

I don't consider the loss to Arizona a bad one, as Adia Barnes has done a great job there, but still ... Hawaii? With that talent level?

PostPosted: 12/02/19 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I was just looking at the scores from Sunday and saw the Hawaii score -- and said out loud (I'm a little strange, I admit), "How can Texas be 4-4?"

I don't consider the loss to Arizona a bad one, as Adia Barnes has done a great job there, but still ... Hawaii? With that talent level?

I personally consider it a bad loss, because they got blown out at home, playing a beatable opponent (unless anyone thinks Arizona is/will be a Final 4-caliber team this year). To me, that was really the first sign of trouble. Another bad sign before playing UH was only winning by 6 to lowly North Texas (3-5 on the year) the game prior - their only win in their three games at the Rainbow Wahine Showdown. Maybe they took playing in Hawaii as a vacation. And maybe the team suddenly finds a way to play up to its competition... but I certainly can't see Aston coaching them up like that. If the AD were smart, he'd fire her before the conference season starts if they do end up losing the next three.

Phil

PostPosted: 12/02/19 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

You beat me to it, that's exactly what I was going to say.

But I'm biased.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/02/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rehire Goestenkors as head coach and keep Aston as associate HC in charge of recruiting?

taropatch

PostPosted: 12/02/19 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looking at the box score for Hawaii-Texas, both teams had indentical FG %, but the difference maker was in the 3pt department where the Wahine got hot: 10 vs 3. If Aston doesn't get her team into gear soon, results like this will no longer be called "upsets". I'm afraid Baylor's bench will be playing a ton minutes against them.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/02/19 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Rehire Goestenkors as head coach and keep Aston as associate HC in charge of recruiting?

That's a HIGHLY viable plan, *ON PAPER*..... Razz I doubt GG (or any intelligent coach) might actually consider re-visiting a past debacle.

But yeah, Aston's had her chances. She gets excellent talent, including those who do well at the next level (e.g., Ariel Atkins), but....it's not coming together. I remember when TX beat Baylor last....it's not THAT long ago. But it's gonna be a loooong haul til it happens again.

PostPosted: 12/23/19 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Welp, looks like that loss to Hawaii woke 'em up, as they've somehow gone 3-0 since and seem to have their sh*t more or less together. I'll admit I found myself rooting for them against Stanford once Holmes appeared to badly injure her leg in the 4th only to unexpectedly come back into the game a few minutes later like a hero (glad she's OK, and as a bonus, it made for good tv Very Happy). Guess even more so this year, they're the type of team to play up or down to their competition. I wish they could play Baylor like tomorrow to see if they're really up for it. Twisted Evil All in due time. Aston is safe, at least for now...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: