RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Talent spreading out?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/30/19 10:51 am    ::: Talent spreading out? Reply Reply with quote

Ohio State and Penn State fall to mid-majors ...

And Notre Dame lost to one as well.

Is the talent evening out a bit, maybe? Are more players thinking it's better to play a lot at a mid than it is to sit at a P5 school?

Or maybe bigger schools are de-emphasizing a little?

It just seems there are more of these kinds of "upsets" this year.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are certainly pockets of new strength. Watching South Dakota dismantle Ohio St was fun, but it was no upset. South Dakota St has also pushed themselves upward, as has Missouri St. But Drake lost badly to Purdue and I saw Northern Iowa out physicalled by Alabama, so I don't think it is spreading too far.

As for Penn St, I thought it was bad enough that they lost to La Salle earlier this year, but losing to Long Beach St is awful. It will be so bad you might even hear their fans wanting to bring back Rene (maybe not)

Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/19 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmmm. In the cases presented, Ohio and Notre Dame are most definitely feeling the recent departure of EXTRAORDINARILY talented players. "Rebuilding" is an understatement. Penn State has been in a steady decline for a while now, and rebuilding is slow. None of their recent losses strike me as odd.

Indiana's win over South Carolina is an example of some real changes coming from unexpected quarters. Yeah, overall....I'd agree....we're in for some interesting *changes* this season. Keeps things interesting. Cool

PostPosted: 11/30/19 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
There are certainly pockets of new strength. Watching South Dakota dismantle Ohio St was fun, but it was no upset. South Dakota St has also pushed themselves upward, as has Missouri St. But Drake lost badly to Purdue and I saw Northern Iowa out physicalled by Alabama, so I don't think it is spreading too far.

As for Penn St, I thought it was bad enough that they lost to La Salle earlier this year, but losing to Long Beach St is awful. It will be so bad you might even hear their fans wanting to bring back Rene (maybe not)

That would be a pretty difficult thing to do, you know, considering where she is now. Wink

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Gamecock1

PostPosted: 11/30/19 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's real...the talent gap has shrunk.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/30/19 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gamecock1 wrote:

+1 but we say this every year and the same P5 blue bloods always end up in the F4. Hopefully we have more upsets in the tourney this season.

PostPosted: 11/30/19 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

+1 but we say this every year and the same P5 blue bloods always end up in the F4. Hopefully we have more upsets in the tourney this season.

Indeed, there haven't been four P5 teams in the F4 since 2006

PostPosted: 11/30/19 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Howee has mentioned, some of these upset victims are in the process of rebuilding and having to lean heavily on freshmen. So I'd say its a bit of both, rebuilding and dissemination of talent.

Not so much on the men's side. P5's loaded with 5-stars sometimes simply get outplayed and outhustled. Stunning stuff: Evansville and SF-Austin.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/30/19 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

You trickster, pilight....as I'm scratching my head, I realize the ever-ubiquitous UConn hasn't been in a P5 for a while. Laughing

PostPosted: 11/30/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

You trickster, pilight....as I'm scratching my head, I realize the ever-ubiquitous UConn hasn't been in a P5 for a while. Laughing

Uconn has never been in a P5

PostPosted: 11/30/19 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

In their era, 1979 onward, they have been more of a power basketball conference than all the P-5* except the ACC.

* P-5 is defined through the men.

Howee

PostPosted: 12/01/19 1:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

"Hasn't been in a P5 for a while" IS form of "never". Razz Laughing

PostPosted: 12/01/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

In their era, 1979 onward, they have been more of a power basketball conference than all the P-5* except the ACC.

* P-5 is defined through the men.

P-5 is defined through football

PostPosted: 12/01/19 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

Your laughter suggests that you feel that because the Big East isn't a power football conference they are targets of derision about basketball? Confused

elsie

PostPosted: 12/01/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the same P5 always get the breaks in rankings, and seeding....if the NCAA really wanted to expand womens bb, as well as men's, they would take away automatic biases that determine who goes where who plays who in the tournament....

alas, its the NCAA s duty to keep the big schools fat and happy....

elsie

PostPosted: 12/01/19 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the same P5 always get the breaks in rankings, and seeding....if the NCAA really wanted to expand womens bb, as well as men's, they would take away automatic biases that determine who goes where who plays who in the tournament....

alas, its the NCAA s duty to keep the big schools fat and happy....

Howee

PostPosted: 12/01/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
Howee wrote:
pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Gamecock1 wrote:

Your laughter suggests that you feel that because the Big East isn't a power football conference they are targets of derision about basketball? Confused

Nah....just giggling at my/pilight's playing with words. I've always been inclined to think of the BEast as a P5 conference in 'our' game, back when it had UConn, Rutgers, ND, etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: